Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part IV: Yak Yak Yak Yak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardof425*

Or they are wanting to bring up one of the defensemen from Hartford who has impressed... be that Johnson, Syret, Allen, or McIlrath.

All mentioned would replace Falk as the 7th defenseman; not become the 6th. At least initially.

BarbaraAlphanse

No game until tomorrow night. Why would they announce he wasn't going to play if a deal was close to being done? Seems like they'd just keep the status quo until the trade call went through.

The whole situation is strange. MDZ has picked up his play recently. Since his goal a few games ago he's actually been decent. He's limited his mistakes yet his ice time has decreased.

I'm Del Zasters biggest criticizer, but give credit when its due and he's improved his level of play. It's a little head scratching that he's being scratched now.

Then again, as you said, they could simply have remained mum and not said anything if a trade was being discussed.

To me, what this means, is that there isn't anything close to being done but they are discussing him with other teams. They want to see if there is a noticeable drop off in play between him and Falk, and they'll likely scratch him a few games to give it a larger sample size. After that, if Falk is decent, they'll trade DZ to whoever they're discussing him to.

They'll call up Allen to be the 7th D. Falk won't be able to sustain playing on this team (in my opinion). He's a last resort type guy. Think Allen wins the spot by mid year, when most of us projected he'd be ready.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Arcobello a healthy scratch in Edmonton tonight

He hasn't played that bad has he ?

I read at the main Board that a bunch of EDM players were out celebrating Hall's birthday yesterday...

not saying that's the reason though...

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
i understand that, but why announce it today when their is no game? i never seen a team do that unless they are getting ready for a trade or to put a player in the lineup (trade). knowing the Rangers luck Stralman will get hurt in practice and Del Zotto will play tomorrow... :sarcasm:

Then you really just haven't been paying close attention.

Bardof425*

The whole situation is strange. MDZ has picked up his play recently. Since his goal a few games ago he's actually been decent. He's limited his mistakes yet his ice time has decreased.

I'm Del Zasters biggest criticizer, but give credit when its due and he's improved his level of play. It's a little head scratching that he's being scratched now.

Then again, as you said, they could simply have remained mum and not said anything if a trade was being discussed.

To me, what this means, is that there isn't anything close to being done but they are discussing him with other teams. They want to see if there is a noticeable drop off in play between him and Falk, and they'll likely scratch him a few games to give it a larger sample size. After that, if Falk is decent, they'll trade DZ to whoever they're discussing him to.

They'll call up Allen to be the 7th D. Falk won't be able to sustain playing on this team (in my opinion). He's a last resort type guy. Think Allen wins the spot by mid year, when most of us projected he'd be ready.

Agree with this except the part about Allen. He needs to play; not sit in NY. They bring up Johnson as the 7th D-man and let Allen get big minutes along with Mac.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
We don't need to dwell on this, but McDonagh-Strålman played 288 5v5 minutes together in 12-13. A lot more than 2 games. In fact, Strålman played more minutes with McDonagh than he did with any other skater on the team. That's where I referred to them as a dominant pairing.

This season it was two games, correct. But Staal-Strålman has had the tougher matchups in a few of the games. And suggesting that he can play with Staal, but not McDonagh is ludicrous.

Look, I know Girardi has been a good defenceman in the past. But he has been declining and this season he has been abysmal. The McDonagh-Girardi pairing is toxic. Both players have been better when separated (McDonagh more so than Girardi). Possession numbers aren't everything, but the 39.3% McD-G have together is unacceptable no matter what just like the 62.5% Staal-Strålman has is fantastic no matter what.

It is not like the difference is a few percentage points, it is bigger than the difference between the best and the worst team in the league.

There is no factual evidence that Strålman cannot handle 20+ minutes per game, rather the contrary. There is factual evidence, or at least strong indicators, that Girardi can no longer handle his current role on the Rangers.

LA started out with Regehr-Doughty as their first pairing, and Sutter scratched Muzzin after a few games. Now their first pairing is Muzzin-Doughty and it is performing a lot better. I bet Sutter didn't think Muzzin could handle big minutes either. There are a lot of similarities between Girardi-Regehr and Strålman-Muzzin. The former two has a "shudown" reputation, but finds themselves mired in the defensive zone most of the time, while the latter two has a much better on ice impact.

You realize those minutes are completely arbitrary, correct? Meaning that they have no bearing on who a player was paired with, simply that those players were on the ice together for 288 5 v 5 minutes throughout the year? I.e., every moment they were caught on the ice for extended shifts is included in that, which explains why when Girardi went off, Stralman came on, and thus was "on the ice" with McDonagh. For an average of 6 minutes at even strength per game over the course of a shortened 48 game season. McDonagh averaged 20 minutes of ESTOI per game last year. That means he was "paired" with Stralman for less than 1/3rd of the time that McDonagh spent at 5v5. That's not a pairing. That's even before you even consider the skewed numbers because they did in fact play two games together while Girardi was injured.

If they're so lousy together, why have two different coaches kept them as a pairing? Why do they continue, night after night, to face the toughest lines the opponents can throw at us? If Stralman is so superior in the advanced stats, why is he continually exchanged between the 2nd and 3rd pairings?

I'm not suggesting that Stralman couldn't play with McDonagh, I'm stating that Stralman is effective as a 2nd pairing player because he is actually paired with an elite defender in Staal and doesn't see the competition that Girardi does on the top pairing. I'm suggesting that Stralman can't handle the same players that Girardi and McDonagh can. I'm not arguing about the minutes, I'm arguing that Stralman has not demonstrated that he can play meaningful minutes against the elite players in the league. Girardi has done that.

Regehr/Girardi and Muzzin/Stralman share very little. Regehr is a player hitting the tail end of his career. Girardi is in his prime. Stralman is a player who has played over 300 games, bounced around from team to team and has struggled to find consistency. Muzzin is a 2nd year defender who has played 70 games and is in the process of breaking out. They're completely independent situations, players, and circumstances.

Last edited:

parcsalooc

Jul 27, 2010
He's a spark plug and oilers fans aren't happy with the scratch either. Connecticut native who loves to hit yet undersized. Watched him play a bunch @ Yale

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
#rangers Michael Del Zotto will be a healthy scratch Saturday in MTL. Don't know if his future is in NY. Hearing trade is a possibility.

https://twitter.com/LavoieRenaud/status/401446622170980352

Michael Del Zotto est laissé de côté demain vs Canadiens. Il pourrait bien quitter les #rangers via transaction. Son nom circule dans la LNH

Translation

Michael Del Zotto is left aside tomorrow vs Canadians. It could well leave the #rangers via transaction. His name is circulating in the NHL

https://twitter.com/LavoieRenaud/status/401445947726917632

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
"I'm not happy," said Del Zotto, minus-four with four points in 16 games. "Obviously you're never happy when you're out of the lineup, but it's the coach's decision, and like I've said all along, I'm going to come to the rink with a smile on my face. I'm happy to be here and will try to work hard each day and try to get better."

Still, Del Zotto has noticed that his minutes have decreased. He has not played more than 16:44 in any of the last four games. The low-light was a third-period benching in Columbus on Nov. 7, when Del Zotto played just four shifts worth a total of 2:59 of ice time.

"I felt I've been pretty solid defensively," Del Zotto said. "Offensively, I've had some chances, but it hasn't been there consistently. The game's all about confidence, and any time your minutes are going down, it's tough to really get that confidence where you want it to be. My minutes have gone down the last couple games, and now this has happened. So as I said, I'll just come to the rink with a smile on my face, support the team and work hard each day."

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1518509#bmb=1

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
How about the Wild? I have been watching them recently. Their D is light outside of Suter and Brodin. Dumba doesn't play that much. Charlie Coyle would be nice. Another Boston kid with size who can skate. Center/RW. He has some Rangers ties being related to Tony Amonte.

parcsalooc

Jul 27, 2010
scouting blues game last night... Kevin Shattenkirk please...of course we add
Plus twitter handle says New Yorker at heart

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
How about the Wild? I have been watching them recently. Their D is light outside of Suter and Brodin. Dumba doesn't play that much. Charlie Coyle would be nice. Another Boston kid with size who can skate. Center/RW. He has some Rangers ties being related to Tony Amonte.

I think this as good of speculation as any. I have had almost the exact same thought. History of making deals with the Wild. They've got Suter Brodin and then a huge drop in talent aka they could actually really use del z. Coyle would be a fit if they are willing to part.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Have called for moving MDZ for a young scoring forward for a while. As enthusiastic as I am about the potential return, I am also worried we'll give him up too cheaply.

But with McD's emergence on the PP and Staal's seemingly solid return to form after the eye injury, it allows us to move him for an area of greater need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad