Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread V: Kane you believe it? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Kane will never land in Montréal. No way Bergevin wants this jerk anywhere close to the Habs locker room.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
LA will probably do like they did getting supposed philly problem childs in Richards and Carter, then acquire Kane now, squeek into playoffs the make a run

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
LA will probably do like they did getting supposed philly problem childs in Richards and Carter, then acquire Kane now, squeek into playoffs the make a run

Kane is out for the season, might not even be ready for the playoffs.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Its official Kane is out 4-6 months with shoulder surgery, so that's that.

https://twitter.com/shanehnidy/status/563750182710677504
Yep, we can cool down the discussions for acquiring Kane. Kane isn't going nowhere until next season, if even.

Looking at RW list, not sure who we could go for. Simmonds, Pominville, Kessel, Iginla, Jagr are pretty much the only ones of possible interest.

We need a strong guy to battle the boards, do some good screening and get the garbage goals. I mainly see Simmonds, Iginla or Jagr capable of that. As much as I respect Iginla and Jagr, I'd rather go young, which would be more expensive. I'd consider Jagr over Iginla, but only if the price is low.

The other two are big snipers. Would be cool to have Kessel. It would open up possibilities to have either him and Max on the 1st line just showering goalies with dangerous shots or we could balance two lines. I know Kessel isn't exactly defensive, but if he's paired with two players that are good defensively, I think it'll be fine. Even though Kessel looks fat, he's a strong player with speed, he'd be another Max on the second line. Otherwise, I think Pominville could fit a better defensive alternative.

Myers would be awesome to have. But I think that our offense being unable to sustain pressure in the opponents end is the reason why our possession numbers aren't so great and that we take so many shots against.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Kane the player in Montreal would be fun to watch.

Kane the person in Montreal might be a disaster. If he's unable to focus on hockey in Winnipeg, what the hell would he do here...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
1) he's young and surely has made some poor choices, but there is no doubt he has the talent and addresses a need. Some people were interested in Chris stewart who has similar character problems but WAY less talent.
Nobody would deny his talent or his youth.
2) Not all reclamation projects work out, but no one wanted to touch Ribeiro and he's been a very pleasant surprise in nashville, and as far as I can tell he's left his usual douchebaggery at the door.
I wouldn't touch Ribeiro with a ten foot pole.
I think that a team with an established leadership core could be sufficient to get kane to turn it around. The real question is, despite our age, do the habs have such a core when he would almost certainly be #2 immediately in terms of forwards on the habs behind patches. Say he gets a little " track suity" again, who on the roster holds him accountable ?

and his contract / talent ratio is pretty appealing.
Yes he has talent. Absolutely we shouldn't write him off entirely but I don't think he's worth a premium price anymore for the following reasons:

1. Injuries. Off season surgery now, who knows what happens?
2. He's an idiot with the media. Imagine the wad of cash picks in media crazy Montreal
3. He's had real issues with teammates. These aren't scuffles in practice there seems to be real animosity here.
4. He hasn't really produced to the levels his talent would indicate he should.

He represents real risk as far as I'm concerned. I'd just rather look elsewhere.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
i
I was just watching some reporter talk about Kane and when they showed him
his name was written "EVADER KANE"
wich was maybe what he hopes to do this season: evade the Jets! :laugh:

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
Just for my information, what is the general consensus on getting Mike Green from Washington?

What would it cost us and can be he a 2nd pairing rental guy for the playoffs?

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Just for my information, what is the general consensus on getting Mike Green from Washington?

Not sure about his value...even less sure about whether or not he's still considered a 2nd pairing Dman. I thought he was generally thought as a 3rd pairing guy. One thing is sure, I would not give much for him, imo he's exactly what we don't need.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Im not from WAS, but he's not a guy I'd want on a 2nd pairing to play with whoever will remain there (Brolieu and Gonchar).

On another topic, the whole Kane thing is a bit LanceEtCompteesque.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
OK now that Kane is out with surgery,
let's stop talking about him, MB is not going to trade for a hurt dude, that can't help this year.......

so let's move on from Kane and find a new boy to hunt down

1. ROR
2. E Stall
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany

Mike green would definitely help our back bone offensively. The PP should in theory, improve a lot. But I don"t think he"s the type of defenseman we need. And I don"t think he"s the type of offensive contribution we need either.

Personally, I'd rather spend the assets on top 6 forwards. I believe our possession, constantly defending and high shots against issues are due to have a top 6 that can't sustain pressure offensively. We can rush it, we can generate chances to score. But if we managed to stay in the opponents' zone more, to keep the puck in their end. We would shoot more towards their net, we'd get much better chances to score and we would fix a lot of issues. We already have very good puck moving defensemen, we already have defensemen that can snipe it in or fire it towards the goalie for a rebound. We need wingers that will make us more dominant in the opponents' end, that would make us sustain pressure more than just rushing in.

Mike Green is good, no doubt. I wouldn't mind him on the team. If I were to trade for him (just to go with the question), I wouldn't give much as I believe he's UFA at the end of this season. I wouldn't give a 1st rounder. I wouldn't give a core player either. I think I would give something like PAP, Gilbert or Gonchar and a conditional 2nd. Sure Mike Green is good. And I know PAP isn't great, nore is Gonchar nor Gilbert. But Caps aren't a selling team and we aren't a team that will hamper it's core on a rental, at least not a rental like Green. We also aren't desperate for a defenseman like Green. Which is only reason why I offer those players. Besides, Caps also want a RW. While PAP isn't good with us, he might be good on their first line. The conditional second would only be if we re-sign Green or if we go far into the playoffs. I may consider putting Patteryn if we get another prospect in return.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
let's stop talking about him, MB is not going to trade for a hurt dude, that can't help this year.......

1. ROR
2. E Stall
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Euh, I don't want ROR near this team...

More like
1.Hall
2.Eberle
3.Marleau
4. E Staal
5. Vermette

Seb

Jul 15, 2006

1. ROR
2. E Stall
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Jagr should be priority #1. Wouldn't cost near as much as both your guys and would be a solid rental.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
It has been repeated time and again that the Habs have no interest in Jagr. Not to mention the fact he's slow as molasses and wouldn't fit well with the team because of it.

O'Reilly seems like a guy Bergevin would like, contract dispute or no. Skilled offensively, good defensively, and driven. Great character on and off the ice, just wants a fair payday. He's a really versatile player that can play in any situation and at either center or on the wing. He's a cornerstone player like Plekanec IMO. He would change the face of our offence instantly, no matter where he's put in the lineup.

O'Reilly-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Parenteau
Desharnais-Eller-Sekac
Prust-Bournival-Weise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad