Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread V: Kane you believe it? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
The Habs should target Justin Williams, if only to see what happens to his possession numbers under Therrien. It would be an interesting experiment.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I have been a big critic of the Habs hitting the eject button on a good number of players over ...character ... issues, such as Roy, Ribs, Chelios, and getting flleced in the trades. So you would probably think I wouldnt get too reactionary about possibly getting a player with so called....character ...issues.

What is a character issue ? Chelios and Roy were as competitive as hell and wanted to win. Roy was high strung and had a mouth, Chelios was a party guy, so what. They never impeded the team from success from their actions on or off the ice. Ribs was different as his immaturity could detract from the team, but tossing him away was uncalled for.

So Evander Kane. Yes, could us his size, physicality and skill set, no question. But this guy is constantly in the news over no good. You wonder where his head is. Run ins with teammates ? Wearing a track suit instead of a suit. I know that sounds really minor, but its a no brainer rule you wear a suit, doing otherwise you know means trouble, so why bring it on, why bring on the controversy, the distraction, the confrontation ?

I trust MB will do the due diligence. It may be that Kane has been mishandled and things have spiraled out of control, and all he needs is a new place to play. But to me, there are signs of character issues that need to at least be checked out.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
I'd go after Jagr real hard as well. But, it won't happen.

I heard Petr Svoboda on 690 this morning. He said Jagr has been more then willing to come to Montreal as a UFA but Bergevin was just not interested, prioritizing youth.

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
I have been a big critic of the Habs hitting the eject button on a good number of players over ...character ... issues, such as Roy, Ribs, Chelios, and getting flleced in the trades. So you would probably think I wouldnt get too reactionary about possibly getting a player with so called....character ...issues.

What is a character issue ? Chelios and Roy were as competitive as hell and wanted to win. Roy was high strung and had a mouth, Chelios was a party guy, so what. They never impeded the team from success from their actions on or off the ice. Ribs was different as his immaturity could detract from the team, but tossing him away was uncalled for.

So Evander Kane. Yes, could us his size, physicality and skill set, no question. But this guy is constantly in the news over no good. You wonder where his head is. Run ins with teammates ? Wearing a track suit instead of a suit. I know that sounds really minor, but its a no brainer rule you wear a suit, doing otherwise you know means trouble, so why bring it on, why bring on the controversy, the distraction, the confrontation ?

I trust MB will do the due diligence. It may be that Kane has been mishandled and things have spiraled out of control, and all he needs is a new place to play. But to me, there are signs of character issues that need to at least be checked out.

My main opposition to Kane stems from the fact that he seems like an idiot and is a hard guy to like.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If Kane is available, i would be the first in line. The off-ice issues don't bother me one bit mainly because MTL got the players and the organization to straight him out.

BUT....with teams who would like to make big changes like Toronto/Edmonton with some very talented players that might be available, we would have to give too much.

I think people are overrating the value of some trouble maker players like Kane.

Look what Boston got for Seguin who is far better than Kane.

Seguin was traded with Peverley for Eriksson, Morrow, Smith and Fraser. Smith is having success with Boston but back when the trade was made he was a small 3th round draft pick who had some mild success in the AHL something you could compare to Ghetto. Fraser was a not drafted AHLer for life it's a surprise he made the NHL and he was waived anyway. Morrow was drafted at the end of first round and was not looking particularly good in the AHL when the trade was made. You could compare it to Tinordi but without the size so less valuable. I don't recall seeing Morrow in a list of best prospects at defense while i've seen both Tinordi and Beaulieu in such lists. hf rates Morrow as 7c while Tinordi is 7.5c and Beaulieu 8c.

So people are giving close to as much for Kane as what Dallas gave for Tyler ******* Seguin.

Eller, Tinordi and a 1st.

Tinordi is worth more than Morrow. The 1st in a good draft year is worth more than Smith. Eller is worth far less than Eriksson but so is Kane versus Seguin. Then considering Boston had to add a good 31 years old vet like Peverley it doesn't make any sense to give so much for Evander Kane only a guy the Jets have been trying to trade since last year.

It's a cap era. DGs don't throw their good prospects and 1rs round choices for nothing like they used to do many years ago.

I think people will be surprised when the dead line will come. Tinordi is still rated in the top 50 best prospects in the NHL and is 22 so ready to play NHL next year. In a cap era this is more valuable than people think. But Montréal gotta be Montréal so since Tinordi is not playing NHL at 22 he is a flop worth nothing. But that's not the reality.

Kane wont be traded for nothing but i don't think you need to got all in for him just offer the good players the Jets DG likes. I don't think we have to touch our top 5 prospects. Eller, a first round and a b prospect should be enough as long as their DG likes this b prospect.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
If Kane is available, i would be the first in line. The off-ice issues don't bother me one bit mainly because MTL got the players and the organization to straight him out.

BUT....with teams who would like to make big changes like Toronto/Edmonton with some very talented players that might be available, we would have to give too much.

I could easily see a trade around Kane/Eberle, Kane/Kessle, Kane/Yandle, Kane/O'reilly.
Thinking we could have him for spare parts and long shot draft picks won't be possible IMO.

It would've to start with a Gallagher, Scherback or Sekac AT LEAST and adding up from there....

Since when our organization has been good with trouble and immature players ? They always shipped them out of town with disastrous results...

And as far as your proposal goes... it's God awfull... Gallagher alone is more than worth it, then you trade our best prospect who has as much potential, what the hell ??? I wouldn't even trade Gallagher straight up for this brain case...

Another poster who value fighting more than actual results ??

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I just don't know about this guy. He just seems to evoke drama everywhere. You could argue that of many players in Montreal through the years but Kane seems to bring it on himself. Imagine him coming here and taking another photo of himself on the phone sitting on a wad of cash. It's circus enough around here without adding fuel to the fire. There's also talk of offseason surgery for him...

I wouldn't give up anything of significance for him.

1) he's young and surely has made some poor choices, but there is no doubt he has the talent and addresses a need. Some people were interested in Chris stewart who has similar character problems but WAY less talent.

2) Not all reclamation projects work out, but no one wanted to touch Ribeiro and he's been a very pleasant surprise in nashville, and as far as I can tell he's left his usual douchebaggery at the door.

I think that a team with an established leadership core could be sufficient to get kane to turn it around. The real question is, despite our age, do the habs have such a core when he would almost certainly be #2 immediately in terms of forwards on the habs behind patches. Say he gets a little " track suity" again, who on the roster holds him accountable ?

and his contract / talent ratio is pretty appealing.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
If Mtl gets Kane it will be in no small way because of Rick Dudley. He was with Atlanta when they drafted him. Could be a great add to the team core. And if he could play the right wing even better yet

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
If Mtl gets Kane it will be in no small way because of Rick Dudley. He was with Atlanta when they drafted him. Could be a great add to the team core. And if he could play the right wing even better yet

Ya we should trade for a LW and make him play RW. Just like we draft centers to play wing :help:

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I think people are overrating the value of some trouble maker players like Kane.

Look what Boston got for Seguin who is far better than Kane.

Seguin was traded with Peverley for Eriksson, Morrow, Smith and Fraser. Smith is having success with Boston but back when the trade was made he was a small 3th round draft pick who had some mild success in the AHL something you could compare to Ghetto. Fraser was a not drafted AHLer for life it's a surprise he made the NHL and he was waived anyway. Morrow was drafted at the end of first round and was not looking particularly good in the AHL when the trade was made. You could compare it to Tinordi but without the size so less valuable. I don't recall seeing Morrow in a list of best prospects at defense while i've seen both Tinordi and Beaulieu in such lists. hf rates Morrow as 7c while Tinordi is 7.5c and Beaulieu 8c.

So people are giving close to as much for Kane as what Dallas gave for Tyler ******* Seguin.

Eller, Tinordi and a 1st.

Tinordi is worth more than Morrow. The 1st in a good draft year is worth more than Smith. Eller is worth far less than Eriksson but so is Kane versus Seguin. Then considering Boston had to add a good 31 years old vet like Peverley it doesn't make any sense to give so much for Evander Kane only a guy the Jets have been trying to trade since last year.

It's a cap era. DGs don't throw their good prospects and 1rs round choices for nothing like they used to do many years ago.

I think people will be surprised when the dead line will come. Tinordi is still rated in the top 50 best prospects in the NHL and is 22 so ready to play NHL next year. In a cap era this is more valuable than people think. But Montréal gotta be Montréal so since Tinordi is not playing NHL at 22 he is a flop worth nothing. But that's not the reality.

Kane wont be traded for nothing but i don't think you need to got all in for him just offer the good players the Jets DG likes. I don't think we have to touch our top 5 prospects. Eller, a first round and a b prospect should be enough as long as their DG likes this b prospect.

Don't forget Ericksson was a 70 points player (2 way player) and on a very good contract.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
I heard Petr Svoboda on 690 this morning. He said Jagr has been more then willing to come to Montreal as a UFA but Bergevin was just not interested, prioritizing youth.

I heard that too, but I think it was Gainey/Gauthier initially that said no, not Bergevin. Sounded like a Jagr would still love to play here regardless. Boy would he look good on our PP.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Eller don't have that value, right now his value is probably extremely low...

So is Kane value.

Eller is still a big 25 years old first round draft pick puck possession type of player who had success here and there notably in the lock out season (where he had near as much points as Kane) and last year in the playoffs.

Of course he is worth less than Kane but not Tinordi and a first rounder less.

I'm puzzled people are willing to give Eller, Tinordi and a 1st round in a good draft year for him.

Tinordi has the potential to be worth as much as Kane in 3-4 years. He is a bigger risk than Kane but his ceiling is still high.

Eller could bite us in the back if we give him for nothing. His ceiling is lower that Kane and at 25 it's very unlikely he will reach it but he is still potentially a dangerous player to trade. Nick Foligno is 27 and he progressed a lot this year. Personally i would wait next year before giving away Eller for now i still consider him as a valuable asset.

This is supposedly a very very good draft year. Dunno if it's true but this is what we hear. In a very good draft year a first round is worth a lot even a end of first round pick.

This is a trade that could potentially be very bad. Eller with more ice time and a supportive coach could become a 45 points second line defensive center. Tinordi with proper coaching and support could become a very good physical stay at home big d man with some mobility. And the first round could potentially become a good player. We got Patch with the first round SJ gave us for Rivet.

It's not like Kane is a safe bet. He is a injury prone guy with problems outside the ice.

I want him. But not at the price some people say he is worth. Eller+2 b prospects+1st round 2016 would be my very best offer after some intense negotiation (not the first one i would make).

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yep that is well known, yet he brings in a 40 year old Gonchar

I think the point was more to get rid of Moen than anything else.

If NJ is willing to take a contract Bergevin doesn't want anymore (dunno let's say PAP or Gilbert) with a lower prospect of draft pick then a trade for Jagr could happen.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
It seems that most people forget Jagr's tenure with the Bruins, which ended in a pretty lackluster playoff performance.

Jagr is still a great player, and he can keep up in the regular season but I have my doubts about how well he will do in a long playoff run.

He is too slow for us.

I mean people think that PAP is a bum. Jagr would be worst.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger · 51m51 minutes ago
Evander Kane should learn full extent of shoulder injury today and whether surgery is required. Obviously, outcome impacts trade avail.

Injured shoulder and all, Kane may still be an interesting trade deadline add for a team with no playoff ambitions.

Let's say Buffalo deals Stafford or Stewart and a good prospect (of which they have many). Stafford, Stewart or another veteran provides the immediate help up front that the Jets desperately need as they strive to make the playoffs for the first time since their return to Winnipeg. The prospect allows the young and upcoming Jets to continue to build long-term. Buffalo has an extraordinary number of good-to-great prospects to offer. Grigorenko, Fasching, Compher, Armia to name a few without touching the absolute blue-chippers.

From Buffalo's point of view, they acquire in Kane a tough and talented 23-year-old. Let him have his surgery asap, and heal for next season. Meanwhile, the Sabres lock up the pole position in the McDavid/Eichel derby.

Last edited:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
It seems that most people forget Jagr's tenure with the Bruins, which ended in a pretty lackluster playoff performance.

Jagr is still a great player, and he can keep up in the regular season but I have my doubts about how well he will do in a long playoff run.

jags actually played pretty well with the bruins, although it is true his production was not what one would hope for but his play was good.

Even slowing down he addresses a need but it looks like we have had several kicks at the cat and passed every time.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
If we can get Evander Kane for Lars Eller, Jarrod Tinordi and 1st round pick. Yeah do it by all means. It will solve our lack of second line. We can sign FA for 3rd lines.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Sekac
Kane-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Prust-?-Weise
Bournival-Malhotra-

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
If we can get Evander Kane for Lars Eller, Jarrod Tinordi and 1st round pick. Yeah do it by all means. It will solve our lack of second line. We can sign FA for 3rd lines.

Prust-?-Weise
Bournival-Malhotra-

That would be a Gomez level trade.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

Prust-?-Weise
Bournival-Malhotra-

Kane is not worth Eller, Tinordi and a 1st

I'd do Eller and a 1st though

HabsDieHard*

Kane is not worth Eller, Tinordi and a 1st

I'd do Eller and a 1st though

Lol,

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Desharnais is a center trio that will be eaten alive in the playoffs.

Why would you do that trade?

Which line will take the tough assignments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad