Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
As someone who doesn't watch ROR play on a daily basis, can anyone explain to me why he's so sought-after (preferably by comparing him to one or more Habs players)?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
As someone who doesn't watch ROR play on a daily basis, can anyone explain to me why he's so sought-after (preferably by comparing him to one or more Habs players)?

Comparable to Plekanec in that he's very good defensively while also being able to put up 50-60 points and comparable to Gallagher for his work ethic on the ice, always moving his feet.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
yes, 30 year fixed with very low interest rates are a crazy deal for the long term.

That will be the end of the Hong Kong peg to the US dollar then. Hong Kong has had to follow the absurdly low US rates the last 10 years without needing them at all, and housing prices here are absolutely out of control because of this, bad land policies and land hoarding.

If Banks in the US expect low rates for 30 years, Hong Kong will not be able to keep following US rates for that long. There will be blood in the streets if house prices keep rising 10 percent a year as they have the last ten years.

Bet on Hong Kong dropping the US peg, adopted in 1985, next year. Hard to say if they'll re-peg to the Yuan, or a basket. Also hard to say if the HK dollar will go up or down at this point if they de peg.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
yes, 30 year fixed with very low interest rates are a crazy deal for the long term.

Without knowing the particulars.....talk about failing to learn from history. The lending institutions south of the border have always played with fire and now with the bailouts as a safety net what's to stop them from repeating 2008?

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Getto wont go. hes a sure nhl player.

If you can make a deal of ghetto and emelin plus a pick, that deal is done without blinking.

Ghetto looked decent in his callup but he fits in with other small scoring forwards, something you can only have a few of in todays nhl

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That will be the end of the Hong Kong peg to the US dollar then. Hong Kong has had to follow the absurdly low US rates the last 10 years without needing them at all, and housing prices here are absolutely out of control because of this, bad land policies and land hoarding.

If Banks in the US expect low rates for 30 years, Hong Kong will not be able to keep following US rates for that long. There will be blood in the streets if house prices keep rising 10 percent a year as they have the last ten years.

Bet on Hong Kong dropping the US peg, adopted in 1985, next year. Hard to say if they'll re-peg to the Yuan, or a basket. Also hard to say if the HK dollar will go up or down at this point if they de peg.

I don't think the US will keep rates low too much longer, maybe a year or so. That's why it's a good deal now and the short term as you can lock in for such low rates long term. I don't follow the HK market but the US is really getting back on track.

Without knowing the particulars.....talk about failing to learn from history. The lending institutions south of the border have always played with fire and now with the bailouts as a safety net what's to stop them from repeating 2008?

They should bring back the Glass-Steagall Act if they want to keep from repeating '08. But banks are greedy so it's only a matter of time before they get into trouble again. Will it be as bad as '08 is hard to say. Having worked for one of the biggest banks (Citi) at the time when '08 hit the fan and they started laying off over 100,000 I hope I don't see a repeat or if I do I hope I figure it out before they do so I can make a ton shorting bank stocks. :nod:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I don't think the US will keep rates low too much longer, maybe a year or so. That's why it's a good deal now and the short term as you can lock in for such low rates long term. I don't follow the HK market but the US is really getting back on track.

They should bring back the Glass-Steagall Act if they want to keep from repeating '08. But banks are greedy so it's only a matter of time before they get into trouble again. Will it be as bad as '08 is hard to say. Having worked for one of the biggest banks (Citi) at the time when '08 hit the fan and they started laying off over 100,000 I hope I don't see a repeat or if I do I hope I figure it out before they do so I can make a ton shorting bank stocks. :nod:

Feel free to share that scoop with me :)

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
China really needs to shift from investment model to consumption model if they want growth to continue.

Problem is, all the state owned enterprises there work together and pocket the returns. You want growth so the steel, concrete, tech guys all get the government to pay for new infrastructure. There are only so many ghost towns they can build.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005

Too many hawks, not enough doves in gubmint for Glass-Steagall.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
China really needs to shift from investment model to consumption model if they want growth to continue.

Problem is, all the state owned enterprises there work together and pocket the returns. You want growth so the steel, concrete, tech guys all get the government to pay for new infrastructure. There are only so many ghost towns they can build.

China is doing quite well. There is no historical precedent for their rate of modmodernization ... maybe Japan after 1850.

The reason that investments exceed consumption there is their trade surplus wuth the USA, which is geopolitically necessary. By sending 500 billion worth of free stuff across the Pacific they are guaranteeing that they won't get bombed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Feel free to share that scoop with me :)

lol ;)

true, at some point things will get ugly in China which is going to be felt across the globe.

Too many hawks, not enough doves in gubmint for Glass-Steagall.

very true.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS

If he's a sure nhl player than wouldn't Colorado want him?...

Or are you one of those people who just think you can trade non-nhl talent for nhl Talent.

Another huge plus to RoR is that he's just 23. It's not like we're targeting a near-30 guy who's going to be on a downturn very soon.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Age and potential.
I would say a 23yo Plekanec, a little bit bigger with an engine close to Gallagher though.

Ghetto is 5'9"....Desharnais....Gallagher....How many times Bergevin said he was looking to make this team bigger.

If AVS wanted Ghetto so bad and he could be a valuable piece in a trade for O'reilly (that seems like Bergevin has been linked to for a while)....i'm sure Bergevin won't hesitate.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's not very sensible to sweeten an Emelin-based trade with Tinordi.

Part of the purpose of trading Emelin is to make room for Tinordi. They play similar roles.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Emelin, Andrighetto, and a 2nd.

Sound familiar?

Then again, Higgins, Grabovski, and a 2nd almost got us Sundin or Hossa back in 2008, which might have gotten us a cup.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
So package involving Andrigetto and Emelin can get us ROR?

ROR is like a Patrick Sharp to Chicago.
Galchenyuk is like our Jonathan Toews.
Subban is like what Duncan Keith is to Chicago
Gallagher is like Shaw
We thought Vanek was like a Hossa but we were wrong
Sekac is like Saad
We need a Patrick Kane.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
So package involving Andrigetto and Emelin can get us ROR?

ROR is like a Patrick Sharp to Chicago.
Galchenyuk is like our Jonathan Toews.
Subban is like what Duncan Keith is to Chicago
Gallagher is like Shaw
We thought Vanek was like a Hossa but we were wrong
Sekac is like Saad
We need a Patrick Kane.

Players like Patrick Kane are really easy to get... We aren't built like the Hawks and we don't have to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad