Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We have both a talent and system issue when it comes to the PP.

By and large, our personnel lack the technical skill to be able to move the puck quickly and cleanly enough around the zone. Compounding that is we are really static in our puck movement and in how our players move. A static set-up is ok and can be successful, but the personnel have to be able to move the puck quickly enough and get clean shots off fast enough to take advantage of the holes created by the puck movement, which we consistently fail at being able to do. Poor puck reception, shot execution, and passing also leads to a lot of unforced turnovers and clearances. Those factors also seem to lead our guys into tending to defer the puck into the "safety" of Josi at the top. For his fault, Josi dwells far too long at the top and forces way too many shots, but the surrounding personnel also don't do enough away from the puck to give us many other options.

We're going to strike periods where the guys are in rhythm and it executes well, but we are going to continue to struggle until our overall skill level improves and we make some tweaks toward a more dynamic movement scheme. Skill level also doesn't necessarily mean "kids" either. Gus, for example, calm on the puck, tremendous stick handling ability, and strong vision and passing ability.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Part of the PP problem has to just come down to player personnel? The 8 top PP teams have huge concentrations of superstar players don't they? We don't have enough true star players to match many of those teams. We have Josi and Forsberg. But not a whole unit of 5 star players?
Preds did NOT like playing teams that pressured the PP group like the way the Preds play PK. When the pressure starts the players get flustered and lose the puck. Not enough better players to move the puck around. Also the Preds PK is NOT a pressure style of D which allows teams like Van/Edm/Dal to get set up and beat you with a pass and slap shot from the side with Draisaitl.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think we're susceptible to both being pressured AND to being allowed to just pass it around... because our main guys will look for the "pretty"/perfect opportunity ad infinitem if you just leave them alone to do so. And we don't have 5 guys talented enough to turn that into a payday very often.

Sometimes we do get something that looks pretty, but usually the opponents have to make a mistake and not pick somebody up, which you can't rely on a good team doing. San Jose or another team that is auditioning future talent might make those mistakes. But the playoffs are a different beast.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
*looks a trade boards* Jesus does Toronto want to run Marner under a bus.
Marner has a NMC and is a 1-year rental atm... on top of whatever issues Leafs fans have with his playoff performance?

I mean, he's obviously a star talent... I'd take him for free for that 1 year. Would I trade anything for that 1 year? Or want to extend him long-term for $11M? Not sure... :dunno:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
The power play has cooked before with Josi on it. Not saying he's blameless, he does seem to be forcing it a lot, but when the unit is clicking and guys are giving him better options he seems to do just fine and not feel the need to do too much.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The power play has cooked before with Josi on it. Not saying he's blameless, he does seem to be forcing it a lot, but when the unit is clicking and guys are giving him better options he seems to do just fine and not feel the need to do too much.
It works when he moves the puck, problem is he has an extremely bad habit of wanting to stop and see if he has a shot. His mind needs to be made up before it ever gets to him.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If we thought there was a reasonable room for extension (I don't) I'd do it. Would throw in Tomasino+ as well if needed. Marner may be soft, but he seems coachable, unlike a Fiala. You can work with that, and can mitigate some of that softness, you can't coach a player to that level of skill.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If we thought there was a reasonable room for extension (I don't) I'd do it. Would throw in Tomasino+ as well if needed. Marner may be soft, but he seems coachable, unlike a Fiala. You can work with that, and can mitigate some of that softness, you can't coach a player to that level of skill.

Preds will easily have money for a extension

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
We have to commit to something.

Our defense is good, not great, and also (outside of Josi) not fleet of foot.

Our goaltending is good, not great, but can be great. I've seen flashes, but it was not Saros of 2023-2024. If we can get 2022-2023 Saros...

Our offense is average to below average with only a few stars and firepower.

Overall, speed is not a strength.

We need 2 forwards or we need vezina goaltending with a strong/fast defense.

We don't have any of this, and our roster is not young.

I'm not saying Marner is the answer (not saying that at all), but he is a possible path. You would still need to add there regardless.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
*looks a trade boards* Jesus does Toronto want to run Marner under a bus.
And does capfriendly ever want to trade him to us. It is getting rather tiring

Expensive ass winger when our center depth is at best questionable and our best rhd signed next season is... fabbro?

As to marner for Saros? In terms of value, i think we get the better end. Does the team get better? Likely not. Hole at goalie. Still very questionable at center. RHD is is even more questionable than this season was and more cap strapped due to duchenes buyout and the extra 5 million on marners contract.

Throw in the idea that Nyquist is 35 at start of next season and if you move him away from ROR and Forsberg he is going to turn back into the 40 point version. Marner away from a Tavares or Matthews level center will still be great but dont expect the near 100 point version he is in Toronto. Especially if you put him with Novak.

Personally i think there are too many holes on this team to go big game hunting/trading. Need to be going after younger up and coming players and make swaps

Last edited:

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I’m a big no on Marner. Soft ass, whiny player that won’t be able to repeat his numbers if he’s the one having to carry his line. If the team is going to throw that much money at a winger, go get Rinehart could have him for the same money, not have to trade Saros for him and he’s actually not a sniveling lil pouty boy who wants to be revered as a god.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I find even the media has some weird-ass takes on those Leafs players. Of course the legions of fans are all over the map. But then you see guys like Marner and Matthews being Selke finalists also? That's just bizarre. Forsberg would have some Selkes if he played there, and he's not great or consistent defensively either.

Marner could be like a Kariya for us. He's that good, just in terms of skill. The only question mark is character/commitment and I have no clue how he stacks up on that front. He just turned 27, but if you get that player you're looking at having him for 9 years, with a $12M pricetag on his next contract, right? That is your one big superstar contract for that duration, basically. Is Marner the player I fill that slot with? I'm not convinced.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
I find even the media has some weird-ass takes on those Leafs players. Of course the legions of fans are all over the map. But then you see guys like Marner and Matthews being Selke finalists also? That's just bizarre. Forsberg would have some Selkes if he played there, and he's not great or consistent defensively either.

Marner could be like a Kariya for us. He's that good, just in terms of skill. The only question mark is character/commitment and I have no clue how he stacks up on that front. He just turned 27, but if you get that player you're looking at having him for 9 years, with a $12M pricetag on his next contract, right? That is your one big superstar contract for that duration, basically. Is Marner the player I fill that slot with? I'm not convinced.
I imagine ROR and Schenn will give insight to wether he's a "Pred" type player...If he's like Dutch, he ain't coming here. Plus... How is he a serial winner?

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022

Nah Marner is legitimately one of the better defensive wingers in the game. Forsberg backchecks, well, inconsistently. You don't have to be physical to play sound defense

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
It's rare you get a chance for guys like this. When they come open we have a way of over analyzing and talking ourselves out of it, even if they aren't truly realistic in acquisition. We did this with Tkachuk and Stone, not saying either was a real possibility, but in both make believe scenarios we found some reason why they wouldn't work. Well the results show me that you find a way to add those elite players when you get the chance and you figure the rest out. That's one reason I would absolutely be in on Marner and would aggressively pursue him.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It's rare you get a chance for guys like this. When they come open we have a way of over analyzing and talking ourselves out of it, even if they aren't truly realistic in acquisition. We did this with Tkachuk and Stone, not saying either was a real possibility, but in both make believe scenarios we found some reason why they wouldn't work. Well the results show me that you find a way to add those elite players when you get the chance and you figure the rest out. That's one reason I would absolutely be in on Marner and would aggressively pursue him.

B/C they arent really positions of organizational need. I wouldve thrown the kitchen sink at Matthews, Pettersson. Spending huge assets on an extravagantly priced winger when your top Center is ROR who barely managed to crack the top 32 centers in production off a career years by Forsberg and a 34 year old Nyquist just seems foolish to me.

Our #2C Novak is a winger trapped in a centers position. Then when it came time for the playoffs was given the 2nd least amount of TOI amoungst forwards just barely beating out Jankowski.

Our current signed 1RHD is Josi because Brunette doesnt trust Fabbro. Schenn got in more games and got about the same amount of TOI/game.

Marner doesnt fix that. His caphit will prohibit fixing that.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
B/C they arent really positions of organizational need. I wouldve thrown the kitchen sink at Matthews, Pettersson. Spending huge assets on an extravagantly priced winger when your top Center is ROR who barely managed to crack the top 32 centers in production off a career years by Forsberg and a 34 year old Nyquist just seems foolish to me.

Our #2C Novak is a winger trapped in a centers position. Then when it came time for the playoffs was given the 2nd least amount of TOI amoungst forwards just barely beating out Jankowski.

Our current signed 1RHD is Josi because Brunette doesnt trust Fabbro. Schenn got in more games and got about the same amount of TOI/game.

Marner doesnt fix that. His caphit will prohibit fixing that.
I just think you take what is available when it's available. You can't just say we aren't building our team unless they fall into this category or help.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I just think you take what is available when it's available. You can't just say we aren't building our team unless they fall into this category or help.
I disagree on that. That's how you end up against the cap while having glaring holes on your team like the Leafs do now. You gotta build the foundation first. Relying on RoR to have a repeat seasom is foolish in my opinion.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I disagree on that. That's how you end up against the cap while having glaring holes on your team like the Leafs do now. You gotta build the foundation first. Relying on RoR to have a repeat seasom is foolish in my opinion.

95 point player is already a hole on our team. We can wait and find the points at the position we need the most, or we can add one when it's available. Different perspectives for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad