Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hey how come we dont have MDZ yet?

Because Ottawa doesn't need him, we have 4 puck moving defencemen as it is already & we have 4 defencemen who shoot left. He doesn't bring anything that this team needs & he can't even break the NYR lineup. What Ottawa does need is another goal scoring forward & we have one in Bingo. Mark Stone should be brought up & given a shot to play with Spezza since no one else seems to be able to. If those two could jell Ottawa would have another scoring combo. :handclap:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spezza doesn't play a 200 foot game so it doesn't fit this team perfectly. He is a defensive liability, he is lazy and his physical play and willingness to battle for loose pucks along the boards is almost non existent.

Spezza is a one dimensional player. Albeit is sole dimension (offence) is very high end.

The best types of centre's for MacLean's system are Toews, Richards, Bergeron and Kesler. We can afford to have less high end offensive players if everyone is committed to playing defense, battling hard for space and pucks and being aggressive on the forecheck. We stand a much better chance of winning a championship with a roster and playing style similar to the Bruins then to have a run and gun high offence system.

If this is the case then how does Karlsson fit the system? He's exactly as you describe Spezza and the opposite of what you say we need.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
EK is still a young developing dman working to find consistency and fully develop his game. He makes some bad mistakes still with so much ice time. Most he has the luxury of making as he has the most amazing recoverability that allows him the opportunity to take that risk to create offence. But he is not quite yet at the alfie level of consistently making it happen, but he is well on his way. He still will be adding "Kronwalling" to his game too as he develops.

Karlsson is capable of playing very strong defense and still developing it better. I wouldnt confuse developmental mistakes with not fitting the system.

Spezza when he was was last uninjured, i thought had really fully developed into a responsible leader. Yes he made some risky plays that didnt work at times, but in the offensive zone he is paid to take those risks. He had mostly gotten rid of the defensive zone ones which had made him so much better. Like Karlsson now, Spez had the luxury of taking those risks, but also can combine with him for a deadly puck possession, 200' game combo (if healthy).

Gothenburg 40*

If you are a season ticket holder, you do not automatically get playoff tickets. You have to pay for them.

I know Sens season ticket holders from back then bought the playoff tickets, and then sold them for way more than they paid. Put in a good dent towards their next year season ticket purchase.

So again, you have no proof other than what you are making up.

So you proved that I have no proof and that you have no proof of that. Awesome, glad we've had this back & forth for all to see rather than you just letting me say my original comment in peace. I know more Leaf fan season ticket holders than non Leaf fan season ticket holders and said the comment for that reason, but really what what do I care? We all know leaf fans dominate Sens games all the time, even when the Leafs aren't playing we see Leaf jerseys....whether you want me to acknowledge that or not seems to be the issue.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
So you proved that I have no proof and that you have no proof of that. Awesome, glad we've had this back & forth for all to see rather than you just letting me say my original comment in peace. I know more Leaf fan season ticket holders than non Leaf fan season ticket holders and said the comment for that reason, but really what what do I care? We all know leaf fans dominate Sens games all the time, even when the Leafs aren't playing we see Leaf jerseys....whether you want me to acknowledge that or not seems to be the issue.

Who cares??? Time to move on from this pointless discussion. All the money generated from season tickets go into the Sens coffers...as a season ticket holder I couldn't care less who pays for the tickets, so long as they do.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
If this is the case then how does Karlsson fit the system? He's exactly as you describe Spezza and the opposite of what you say we need.

You need to pick a new player in your defense of Spezza, because Karlsson is 23 and already a far superior player on most nights than the 30 year old captain.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Karlson is capable of playing a 200 foot game....he won a ****ing norris...

He won the Norris because of how much better offensively than everyone he was, not because he played a great 200 foot game. He was great defensively before getting injured last year, but outside of that small sample he's been average to very poor defensively his whole career.

I'm just saying he doesn't fit the criteria above. He's soft, lazy and doesn't put effort into his defensive play. He's an extremely talented and dynamic offensive player though. Yes he's better than post-injury Spezza.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
your arguments are ludicrous... Karlsson spends more time on the ice than anyone on the team. If he was so poor defensively that would show in his +/-, which while not great is still far better than both Spezza and Michalek.

If he wasn't playing a 200ft game -- his +/- would reflect that of Spezza's. He has far less turn overs, far less give up in the defensive zone, far better board recovery than Spezza. He even hits more than Spezza. I don't care if Spezza is post injury, pre injury, no injury... Karlsson is a generational talent -- Spezza is not.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Sorry but that does not compute.

Karlsson may not be a stud defensively, but he works his arse off, battling along the boards, backchecking hard back on every play. All things Spezza never does.

You are out to lunch dude with this whole Spezza vs Karlsson stuff.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He won the Norris because of how much better offensively than everyone he was, not because he played a great 200 foot game. He was great defensively before getting injured last year, but outside of that small sample he's been average to very poor defensively his whole career.

I'm just saying he doesn't fit the criteria above. He's soft, lazy and doesn't put effort into his defensive play. He's an extremely talented and dynamic offensive player though. Yes he's better than post-injury Spezza.

Karlsson is 9th on the team with 61 hits (Spez is 22nd with 12).
Karlsson is 4th on the team in blocked shots with 44 (Spez 12th with 17).
Karlsson is 1st on the team with 32 takeaways (Spez 3rd with 28).

Yeah, Karlsson is really soft. :shakehead

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
your arguments are ludicrous... Karlsson spends more time on the ice than anyone on the team. If he was so poor defensively that would show in his +/-, which while not great is still far better than both Spezza and Michalek.

If he wasn't playing a 200ft game -- his +/- would reflect that of Spezza's. He has far less turn overs, far less give up in the defensive zone, far better board recovery than Spezza. He even hits more than Spezza. I don't care if Spezza is post injury, pre injury, no injury... Karlsson is a generational talent -- Spezza is not.

Well said. :handclap:

I can't believe anyone would be so desperate to try and throw Karlsson under the bus like that. Insane.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Whet about this value

To Montreal:

Spezza
Methot

To Ottawa :

Subban
Eller

Othello*

Micheal Frolik would be a great addition. He can be on the pk and provide offence on the 3rd line with Zibanajad. He has 22 points so far with a cap hit of 1.9 mil

Greening + 3rd for Frolik

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Whet about this value

To Montreal:

Spezza
Methot

To Ottawa :

Subban
Eller

Subban has wayyy more value then both spezza and methot put together. Unless theres a huge problem resigning him i dont see him being traded. Weber is a better target imo

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Well considering your very poor view of Spezza it's not saying much when you say Karlsson is better than Spezza in all those categories!!! Karlsson's +/- is still minus 11 and pretty crappy. He may be a generational talent on offense but he is not close to being the best defensive Dman on the Senators. If he was he would be on the ice in the last minute killing a penalty against the Bruins instead of a rookie like Ceci.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

This is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever seen. I'm sure you're splitting hairs when saying that Karlsson would have a +/- reflective of Spezza's (Karlsson is a -11, which is the worst on the team for defencemen, and Spezza is a -14 which isn't the worst on the team amongst forwards).

Far less turnovers? Karlsson has 15 more giveaways than Spezza does and only 4 more takeaways. Karlsson constantly lets the other team get to the puck first, gives up on the play in his own zone a ton, and doesn't put nearly as much effort getting back to the defensive zone as he does going forward.

But yes, convince yourself that somehow Karlsson is this do-no-wrong generation talent and Spezza is a bum.

Sorry but that does not compute.

Karlsson may not be a stud defensively, but he works his arse off, battling along the boards, backchecking hard back on every play. All things Spezza never does.

You are out to lunch dude with this whole Spezza vs Karlsson stuff.

See above. That's simply not true. Karlsson has a wealth of time to pull from on the ice and the majority of that is him being shy to contact in his own zone, letting the other team get to the puck first almost every time the puck is dumped into the zone despite being much closer, and making many, many defensive gaffes. Backchecking hard on every play? Please.

Karlsson is an insane talent going forward and playing offensively, but he's been absolutely awful in his own zone especially this year.

Karlsson is 9th on the team with 61 hits (Spez is 22nd with 12).
Karlsson is 4th on the team in blocked shots with 44 (Spez 12th with 17).
Karlsson is 1st on the team with 32 takeaways (Spez 3rd with 28).

Yeah, Karlsson is really soft. :shakehead

Colin Greening is what...2 hits behind Neil? He must be a crusher of souls. Defencemen always have more blocked shots, and he is 4th among defencemen in blocked shots behind guys he spends nearly 10 minutes a night more on the ice than. Again, Spezza has 4 less takeaways in 2 less games playing 10 minutes a night less than Karlsson.

But yes, Spezza is soft as melted butter, and Karlsson is an iron wall of defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad