Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden

Haven't we suffered enough?
May 3, 2007
That story sounds insane and yet with Eugene Melnyk a total possibility. Which says it all.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I don't know if we will ever get the full story of the Alfie thing, but if true this rumor sure does help to explain a lot.
we'll never know the heated comments between the two sides, and we'll only know the true meaning behind 'probably not' when/if Alfie speaks of it (he said that it was a story for another day).

but it's safe to say what happened:
Alfie wants extension before lockout season, wants 8m to average about 4.5m
Murray/Melnyk side don't want to do that

And neither side gave in at all, simple as that.

I believe Alfie knew exactly what was going on, and Barry was truthful to him, and as a result, anyone related to Alfie (ie., Karlsson) also knew what happened, which is Alfie did not want to play for 1m, and the Sens were too cheap.

I also believe Melnyk/Murray knew what was going on no matter what they tried to portray to the media.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Surprised this hasn't been posted:

@j2112_jim: @DennisTFP Dennis would it be correct to assume Bryan Murray is working hard on a move for the Sens?/yes and significant one

I wonder what this could mean?

Also goes on to say this when people start questioning his tweet:

@faceto27 not gonna mislead people, Frankie. Just hearing when deal gets done in OTT, won't be small.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011

Probably the same thing it meant earlier: he's trying to make a trade but can't because it must be dollars in/dollars out

while $11mil under the cap

John Holmes*

Senschirp has broken a couple of things in the past. The Kovalev signing for one. Of course he also broke the Jason / Justin Williams signing (can never remember) which didn't happen, but to say he is "just an anonymous blogger" is a bit of an understatement.

He was clearly connected to somebody inside the organization at one point in time.

We've all seen (or had the opportunity to see) the Euge's routine while overly refreshed.

Funny how most of the reaction in here has been leaning to believing the story.

True or not, obviously many feel that it's possible, and that Eugene is at the very least capable of such absurd behavior.

Dude's been melting down. First it was the HNIC interviews while bombed (allegedly) then there were reports of "somebody" screaming in the Sens locker room after the Leafs bounced us for the 4th time. Then there was "blow yourself up", and "buckle up, we're going all the way" then the Matt Cooke CSI report, and then the book explaining the finances of the team.

No wonder it's a believable story. Look at his track record.

Factor in some personal issues, some business issues, and it's not a huge leap to suggest that an individual that experiences several losses, and engages in odd behavior, and has repeatedly appeared on TV, on radio, and in public possibly intoxicated, is in a near crisis state.

I would hope that such an individual would seek out treatment for whatever could cause behaviors like these.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
the only part of the story that is kinda dumb is the drunk part as you probably can't tell over an email but we know Ottawa didn't want to pay Alfie his initial demands

Emerica

May 29, 2010

It's TFP. About as credible as Eklund. Probably the reason why it hasn't been posted.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
So just to toss another factor out there, the team has been over budget so far this season. A trickle of rumblings are starting that suggest the Sens will be shaving payroll as they make their trades to shake up the team. I don't think we are about to see someone coming in on a white horse to save our playoff chances, unless that players is coming up from Bingo.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
we'll never know the heated comments between the two sides, and we'll only know the true meaning behind 'probably not' when/if Alfie speaks of it (he said that it was a story for another day).

but it's safe to say what happened:
Alfie wants extension before lockout season, wants 8m to average about 4.5m
Murray/Melnyk side don't want to do that

And neither side gave in at all, simple as that.

I believe Alfie knew exactly what was going on, and Barry was truthful to him, and as a result, anyone related to Alfie (ie., Karlsson) also knew what happened, which is Alfie did not want to play for 1m, and the Sens were too cheap.

I also believe Melnyk/Murray knew what was going on no matter what they tried to portray to the media.

It's also a matter of principal. If I give you 9 million, 9 million, 9 million, 1 million for an average of 7 million per over the duration when you were asking 7 million per over the duration. You don't get to come back in the last year and complain about making 1 million, you made up for it in the years previous.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
So just to toss another factor out there, the team has been over budget so far this season. A trickle of rumblings are starting that suggest the Sens will be shaving payroll as they make their trades to shake up the team. I don't think we are about to see someone coming in on a white horse to save our playoff chances, unless that players is coming up from Bingo.

Contradicted by Leeder...

The Senators are currently operating about $8-million below the $64.3-million salary cap — giving them one of the NHL’s cheapest payrolls — and there have been some whispers in the industry that Sens GM Bryan Murray might have to cut salary before the end of the season if the losing continues. “I don’t see any scenario where (that will happen),” says Leeder. “I’ve been here for all 23 years and our payroll has gone up every year. When you retool you’re going to dip a little bit, but we’re where we thought we’d be — we’ve got to have a payroll that’s consistent with the age of our players as well.We need to have room to grow to keep those guys over time.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/why-the-nhls-west-is-better-than-the-east/

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa

These so called rumblings state the team will shave salary if they keep losing.

This is not news almost every single team starts to shave salary if they are out of a playoff spot and not pushing for one.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
These so called rumblings state the team will shave salary if they keep losing.

This is not news almost every single team starts to shave salary if they are out of a playoff spot and not pushing for one.

It is news when your team is still less than half way through a season, and adding a good D could push them into a playoff spot in a very weak Eastern Conference. The "changes will be made" talk over the past few days did not instantly smack of selling off assets, at least not to some of us.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
If you read Leeder's quote carefully he did not actually contradict my comment. He is saying that the payroll next year will be more than this year, which we already know due to the television deal and cap floor rising. This quote says nothing about moving out payroll this season.

In the context of the article he certainly seems to but, sure, may be a nuanced political response.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
It's also a matter of principal. If I give you 9 million, 9 million, 9 million, 1 million for an average of 7 million per over the duration when you were asking 7 million per over the duration. You don't get to come back in the last year and complain about making 1 million, you made up for it in the years previous.
Although true, in Alfie's case I wish an exception had been made. More peeved that neither side even budged a little, and that Melnyk/Murray in my mind were dishonest with the media.

They are smart people, it should have been as simple as 'although we would love to have you again, we have a long term plan here, and your asking price would hamper the plan.'

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
It is news when your team is still less than half way through a season, and adding a good D could push them into a playoff spot in a very weak Eastern Conference. The "changes will be made" talk over the past few days did not instantly smack of selling off assets, at least not to some of us.

You are blatantly twisting words. The claim is if they keep losing, there is no notion of timeframe indicated besides the end of the season. The whispers could very well be saying only if they are out of a playoff contention will they start shedding salary.

Nowhere has there been mention that the Sens will shave NOW only that they might have to later. This speculation is just more fodder for people to bash melnyk with and is again completely unsubstantiated.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
Although true, in Alfie's case I wish an exception had been made. More peeved that neither side even budged a little, and that Melnyk/Murray in my mind were dishonest with the media.

They are smart people, it should have been as simple as 'although we would love to have you again, we have a long term plan here, and your asking price would hamper the plan.'

Hasn't this always been the answer? It's what I would of told Alfie if I was in there position so is it not safe to assume that Alfie already knew this?

I think too many people try to pin someone to blame when maybe there is no blame anywhere? It just didn't work out anymore.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
it's just that Murray/Melnyk were sensational saying Alfie asked for 8m, or that Barry was lying to him, when they knew why he was asking for that and that Barry wasn't lying to Alfie.

John Holmes*

I guess we have the whole roster freeze period to speculate over this one.

Anybody have any idea who the players could be?

AverageAtBest

Feb 2, 2011
Dreger said on Sportscentre that we're going to be one of the most active teams when the trade freeze is over the 28th. He mentioned Del Zotto again because Ceci isn't ready yet. He didn't mention a top-6 forward

John Holmes*

That doesn't sound "big" to me.

Big would be Spezza / Michalek / Anderson going somewhere.

Massively huge would be Karlsson.

Anything else...who cares?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Anything else...who cares?
it's not even about caring, it's more how is it even possible to make meaningful moves unless we move those players, which we wont?

Spezza (NTC), Turris, Ryan, Zibanejad, MacArthur (NTC), Smith, Lazar, 1st rounder '15
Karlsson, Methot, Ceci,
Lehner, Andy

Those are our most valuable assets, who among these are we willing to move?

Last edited:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I say blow it up at the deadline.

Spezza to the Blues for Shattenkirk and 1st (we retain 50% of Spezza's hit)
Michalek to the Yotes for a 2nd
Neil, Smith to the Nucks for Edler
Phillips to Boston for 1st (conditioned on them making the SCF. 2nd if they do not)
Corvo, Greening to Penguins for 2nd
Cowen + Blues first to Ducks for our 1st back.
Anderson, Conacher to Lightning for Lindback and 1st.

Finish season with this

MacArthur/Turris/Ryan
Hoffman/Zibanejad/Stone
Kassian/Da Costa/JOB
Petersson/Pageau/Prince

Methot/Karlsson
Edler/Shattenkirk
Wiercioch/Gryba

Lehner
Lindback

OUT:
Spezza, Neil, Phillips, Michalek, Greening, Corvo, Cowen, Conacher, Anderson, Smith

In:
Shattenkirk, Edler,
Our 1st, Boston 1st, Tampa first, PHX 2nd, Pitts 2nd,

Next year we will have the room to go after another top 6 forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad