Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They mostly managed to make the team a lot worse, and we went from uncertainty to despair. Core is about to either be traded or lost to UFA, and we're going to put a lot of our young prospects in a position to fail. Honestly every time I look at people's lineups on here it depresses me with how horribly shallow we are depth and talent-wise, with little on the way in terms of of reinforcements.

Some of the core should be traded because they ended up last season in 30th place, that is what happens when the team sucks, the players are not performing at the level expected of them, the consequences of that is that they make changes & rightfully so. Why are you so certain that they will put the prospects in a position to fail? I know the team sucks but this yr is a transition yr & our hopes for this franchise are now with the prospects improving & improving the team. The sooner they get rid of half this roster or more the better & sooner they will start to improve. IMO the prospects themselves often make the decision with their play whether they will succeed or fail.

From my perspective, there is an opportunity this yr for a few prospects to show they are NHL ready & actually make the team. Hopefully, they can produce better than some of the players (core) did last yr & improve the team somewhat. I don't expect the prospects to turn this team into a playoff contender overnight but instead hope that the experience helps them & helps the team to improve. Doing nothing or staying the course IMO is much worse. They also have an opportunity to make several trades which could also improve the prospect pool, add some extra picks & hopefully add a good player or two throughout this season.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
One thing to possibly keep an eye on would be waiver eligible bubble players from around the league. There are likely some interesting prospects that are close to cracking the NHL that could need to pass through waivers to get sent to the minors if they don't crack the NHL out of camp. Aside from that, it is at least possible that Dorion could look to be active throughout training camp where notable players get pushed down depth charts or made expendable.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Unless the team is being sold then it really doesn't make much sense to see what happened this offseason. The team isn't better and the only real changes was some kind of change in coaching philosophy/strategy and a supposed improvement on the locker room dynamic. Dorion has been very quiet this offseason which doesn't make sense given how bad this team was last year.

Reactions: Clayonator

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Nick Ritchie still hasn't been signed, I wonder if he could be available via trade. He could be an interesting target.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Nick Ritchie still hasn't been signed, I wonder if he could be available via trade. He could be an interesting target.

On top of the hilarious fact that he was taken with our pick from the Ryan deal, I've never been a big fan watching him. I know his still pretty young so it's pretty early to judge but I wouldn't want him as a big piece.

What pieces would we even want from Anaheim? Steel/Terry/Lundestrom really interest me, hopefully we could get 2 of them and a 1st for EK. And with how old Anaheim is, maybe they crash and burn and the 1st rounder turns out great.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Pretty cheap when you consider Ceci was awarded 4.3 from an arbitrator

Hanifin was a non-arb RFA. Flames take a risk here on a guy with upside whose yet to cement himself as a top 4. We probably could have done the same thing with Ceci and gotten him locked down in the low 4M range over 6-8 years instead of bridging him.

I'm not so high on the Hanifin deal, but so long as there aren't signing bonuses, it's low risk since he can be bought out for 1/6th of his salary prior to the age of 26. I don't think the contract will become a steal though. They would have been better off bridging him and using those short term savings to compete.

The Sens have paid Ceci an average of 3.3M for 3 RFA years so far.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
On top of the hilarious fact that he was taken with our pick from the Ryan deal, I've never been a big fan watching him. I know his still pretty young so it's pretty early to judge but I wouldn't want him as a big piece.

What pieces would we even want from Anaheim? Steel/Terry/Lundestrom really interest me, hopefully we could get 2 of them and a 1st for EK. And with how old Anaheim is, maybe they crash and burn and the 1st rounder turns out great.

I wasn't thinking of an EK deal when it came to Ritchie. I was speculating that maybe he could get traded for some combination of picks, prospects and maybe roster players. Basically the typical change of scenery trade for a prospect kind of thing.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Wow. Vegas’s Schmidt was just suspended a quarter of the season for testing positive for PED’s.

Dorion actually has leverage on McPhee now. Schmidt is Vegas’s number one defenseman. Their blue line is now ice thin on the left side. Theodore is not ready for the first pairing.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Wow. Vegas’s Schmidt was just suspended a quarter of the season for testing positive for PED’s.

Dorion actually has leverage on McPhee now. Schmidt is Vegas’s number one defenseman. Their blue line is now ice thin on the left side. Theodore is not ready for the first pairing.
Theodore is probably more ready for that role than Schmidt was at this point last year. It helps Dorion a bit but I doubt it moves the needle. That D was fairly well spread out, it didn't seem like they relied on anyone too heavily.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
One thing to possibly keep an eye on would be waiver eligible bubble players from around the league. There are likely some interesting prospects that are close to cracking the NHL that could need to pass through waivers to get sent to the minors if they don't crack the NHL out of camp. Aside from that, it is at least possible that Dorion could look to be active throughout training camp where notable players get pushed down depth charts or made expendable.

while this would be a good idea, their is a two part issue
1. money
2. we have too many nhl contracts

we have 22 contracts currently, taking mac out puts us at 21

if we take out gaborik it puts us at 20. The only other person that could be sent down freely that would even make a little amount of sense is wolanin (would be really dumb imo)

so for arguments sake we get down to 20 contracts, that is without tkachuk/brown/chlapik/drake/forementon/paul/jaros who will be pushing for a spot

chances are at least one if not two of those players will make a good impression at training camp, so it wouldnt make sense for us to purposely bury those guys and pick up a player who is probably worse and does not have a future with the team

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
while this would be a good idea, their is a two part issue
1. money
2. we have too many nhl contracts

we have 22 contracts currently, taking mac out puts us at 21

if we take out gaborik it puts us at 20. The only other person that could be sent down freely that would even make a little amount of sense is wolanin (would be really dumb imo)

so for arguments sake we get down to 20 contracts, that is without tkachuk/brown/chlapik/drake/forementon/paul/jaros who will be pushing for a spot

chances are at least one if not two of those players will make a good impression at training camp, so it wouldnt make sense for us to purposely bury those guys and pick up a player who is probably worse and does not have a future with the team
White should probably be in that group with the other prospects imo. He's not locked into the lineup at all. Dunno why anyone would oppose sending down Wolanin. There's little to lose there if he needs time or we need to temporarily clear space.

Gaborik is pretty much a guarantee to be on IR to start the year at this point.

McCormick is one of the one way contracts, no one is going to care if he has to sit in the press box for another prospect or a waiver wire pickup.

There's lots of spots up for grabs. Very few players in our lineup are good enough to be locked in and never be threatened by a healthy scratch. Maybe what, 8 players on the whole roster? Improve wherever you can, however you can.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
While guy shouldn't be locks for any other reason other than their play, we will be playing some of these guys unless people get behind acquiring veteran stop gap players. We've done that for a few years just to let these young kids develop. In my opinion it's time for the top group to join the team and sin for swim. White, Chappy, and Wolanin aren't old, but they haven't been rushed either. It's their time (i think they showed enough last year in the NHL to deserve a nice long look this year without the pressure of being sent down for mistakes).

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Some of the core should be traded because they ended up last season in 30th place, that is what happens when the team sucks, the players are not performing at the level expected of them, the consequences of that is that they make changes & rightfully so. Why are you so certain that they will put the prospects in a position to fail? I know the team sucks but this yr is a transition yr & our hopes for this franchise are now with the prospects improving & improving the team. The sooner they get rid of half this roster or more the better & sooner they will start to improve. IMO the prospects themselves often make the decision with their play whether they will succeed or fail.

From my perspective, there is an opportunity this yr for a few prospects to show they are NHL ready & actually make the team. Hopefully, they can produce better than some of the players (core) did last yr & improve the team somewhat. I don't expect the prospects to turn this team into a playoff contender overnight but instead hope that the experience helps them & helps the team to improve. Doing nothing or staying the course IMO is much worse. They also have an opportunity to make several trades which could also improve the prospect pool, add some extra picks & hopefully add a good player or two throughout this season.
Is this fair in our scenario though? We have a very small "core" compared to other teams (if we're essentially calling our ufa trio our core) and they had a bad, thin roster around them. I'd be excited to see what our core could do with a decent team around them, but would have trouble holding them accountable for the results after playing on such a bad team.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Jets sign Wheeler to a 5 year, 8.25 per extension.

So we just figured out the going rate for Mark Stone and Matt Duchene. *Sighs*

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Exactly it will be 8 years so the AAV will be lower plus the dude is coming off a 91 point season and 2 75+ point seasons prior to that. I am more than happy paying both Stone and Duchene $8.5M if they had those stat lines the past 3 seasons.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Exactly it will be 8 years so the AAV will be lower plus the dude is coming off a 91 point season and 2 75+ point seasons prior to that. I am more than happy paying both Stone and Duchene $8.5M if they had those stat lines the past 3 seasons.
Same.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Sens twitter says we're adding someone... someone who played with us before with smarts and leadership... NO idea who... maybe Vermette on a pto?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Vermette would make the most sense.

Chiasson, Oduya and Shore are still UFAs as well. Could be one of them.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Kelly as development coach... not sexy, but nice to be adding to our development staff. Would love to see a highly skilled player added as well, but no problem adding Kelly back to the group.

Reactions: topshelf15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad