Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
“These two clubs came real close to making a pretty big trade not that long ago and just couldn’t get it done, and that trade was Taylor Hall for, I think they finally got to a place where Ottawa was willing to consider Cody Ceci, so it would have been Hall for Ceci, but it had to be cleared in Ottawa through ownership and before they could get clearance Hall got traded to New Jersey for Larsson.”

Dreger said there would not have been more coming from Ottawa. “There were varying scenarios, I believe, if memory serves, that were discussed between Ottawa and Edmonton but I think that that was the one that was the closest.”

(Edmonton Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli was willing to move Taylor Hall for Cody Ceci, TSN's Dreger reports. Hmmmm)

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
“These two clubs came real close to making a pretty big trade not that long ago and just couldn’t get it done, and that trade was Taylor Hall for, I think they finally got to a place where Ottawa was willing to consider Cody Ceci, so it would have been Hall for Ceci, but it had to be cleared in Ottawa through ownership and before they could get clearance Hall got traded to New Jersey for Larsson.”

Dreger said there would not have been more coming from Ottawa. “There were varying scenarios, I believe, if memory serves, that were discussed between Ottawa and Edmonton but I think that that was the one that was the closest.”

(Edmonton Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli was willing to move Taylor Hall for Cody Ceci, TSN's Dreger reports. Hmmmm)
If there is truth to this, how do any of the Melnyk defenders on this board find a leg to stand on? This is just depressing.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This link says Murray wouldn’t part with Ceci for Drouin. Must have been assumed to be part of the ask.

Here’s someone saying it would make sense for the Senators to offer Ceci as part of a package for Duchene.
Ottawa Senators Are Front-runners In Matt Duchene Sweepstakes

Admittedly, not top level insiders, but as I remember, these weren’t isolated.

Wouldn't give up Ceci as part of a package. Not Ceci alone.

Garrioch was making it sound like the Lightning wanted Ceci and one of White or Chabot, at one point Yzerman apparently wanted Chabot in any deal.

For some reason I can remember a rumoured Drouin+White+1st ask, but I can never find direct sources of it, only reference from other posters online talking about it.

It doesn't sound like it was ever Ceci for Drouin 1 for 1. Although, I am not sure the Senators would have done that considering how long we struggled to cement our top 4, and with the Phaneuf trade that trade deadline we finally had some stability there where we might have thought we had four top 4 defenders who were ready (Karl, Methot, Phaneuf, Ceci).

Reactions: Xspyrit and pzeeman

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Wouldn't give up Ceci as part of a package. Not Ceci alone.

Garrioch was making it sound like the Lightning wanted Ceci and one of White or Chabot, at one point Yzerman apparently wanted Chabot in any deal.

For some reason I can remember a rumoured Drouin+White+1st ask, but I can never find direct sources of it, only reference from other posters online talking about it.

It doesn't sound like it was ever Ceci for Drouin 1 for 1. Although, I am not sure the Senators would have done that considering how long we struggled to cement our top 4, and with the Phaneuf trade that trade deadline we finally had some stability there where we might have thought we had four top 4 defenders who were ready (Karl, Methot, Phaneuf, Ceci).
Oh I never meant to imply one for one. But he certainly seemed to be coveted around the league a few years ago.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Imagine offering this and imagine turning it down.

I think we didn’t because of “money in, money out”.
People are like ohh he had to run it by melnyk. Bullshit. You make that trade. Work out the dollars later. What melny wouldn’t pay his contract for a week while you move out other money?

Dorion thinks ceci is a superstar. End of story.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
People are like ohh he had to run it by melnyk. Bull****. You make that trade. Work out the dollars later. What melny wouldn’t pay his contract for a week while you move out other money?

Dorion thinks ceci is a superstar. End of story.

The number of GMs in all professional sports that can make a trade like that without ownership approval is about ... ZERO. And I’m rounding up.

I’m not defending Dorion or Melnyk. I’m just tired of people that think billionaires that employ a large amount of people suddenly become passive when it comes to their most expensive toy.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The number of GMs in all professional sports that can make a trade like that without ownership approval is about ... ZERO. And I’m rounding up.

I’m not defending Dorion or Melnyk. I’m just tired of people that think billionaires that employ a large amount of people suddenly become passive when it comes to their most expensive toy.

Yeah, no chance Dorion or Murray could make a big trade without Melnyk’s approval. Like you say, other GM’s have to do the same, but other GM’s would likely get approval on acquiring a player like Hall.

Being GM for Ottawa can’t be easy.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa GM's should treat player transactions like house hunting - the money should all be pre-approved.

Also: "willing to consider Cody Ceci" for Taylor Hall has got to be my favourite sentence in the English language. f***ing poetic. A pure encapsulation of everything that has been wrong on the player evaluation side here for years.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If that is accurate that we could have had Hall for just Ceci or even with a small add on, i think that trumps any of the moves Dorion has made in his tenure that are perceived as bad by a huge margin.

Our franchise could be going in a completely opposite direction right now if that move alone had been made.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
‘’Everything in the hockey department goes through me, not through Mr. Melnyk,” Senators general manager Pierre Dorion said, when asked about Turris’s comments. “We made a decision here. Obviously, we talked about it when we made the trade.We wish Kyle the best. He’s a great human being. The contract that he signed with them he wouldn’t take with us. It’s as simple as that. Pierre Dorion makes the hockey decisions. I get great support from Mr. Melnyk, but Pierre Dorion makes the hockey decisions.”

Sure

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
‘’Everything in the hockey department goes through me, not through Mr. Melnyk,” Senators general manager Pierre Dorion said, when asked about Turris’s comments. “We made a decision here. Obviously, we talked about it when we made the trade.We wish Kyle the best. He’s a great human being. The contract that he signed with them he wouldn’t take with us. It’s as simple as that. Pierre Dorion makes the hockey decisions. I get great support from Mr. Melnyk, but Pierre Dorion makes the hockey decisions.”

Sure
Making decisions and getting approval for those decisions are two completely different things and is completely normal. This happens in any business.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
If there is truth to this, how do any of the Melnyk defenders on this board find a leg to stand on? This is just depressing.
every team in the league could have traded for Hall at that price so it makes them all look bad. Actually it makes Ottawa look slightly better since they were planning to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
They offered Karlsson an 8x$10 contract. How is this "first and foremost a cost-savings measure"?

"Offered." Jesus Christ, are you that naive that you think this was a legitimate offer and not some PR stunt designed to appease angry fans? The Sens have known since before the trade deadline that Karlsson had no intention of signing an extension so long as Melnyk owned the team. You don't even consider trading a player like Karlsson unless you know that the relationship is beyond repair.

Grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad