Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Colin Miller is a much better d-man who signed for cheaper.

But this is the Sens. Other teams’ pro scouts are better evaluators of our players than we are. None of them would pay close to what we’re about to pay him.

Miller had less of a case to get a big money contract though. He had about 100 games as a bottom pairing guy in Boston. Then he had this season in Vegas where he was very productive but played 19 minutes a game as a sheltered defender. So we're talking about 1 season of slightly sheltered hockey.

With Ceci, he gets crushed in the advanced stats, but he plays significantly more minutes against harder competition with much worse zone starts than Colin Miller. Ceci's also done what he's done for two years compared to Miller for one. Does Ceci being deployed as a top 2 defender mean he is one? No. But if Ceci was a proficient top pairing D, the market for him wouldn't be 5M long term, it'd be 6.5-7.5M or more.

It's hard to say if Colin Miller is better than Cody Ceci because Miller was used in such a sheltered role. People will hinge on offense, but Ceci put up similar ES offensive numbers to Colin Miller previously in his career when he wasn't being used in a ridiculous shutdown role. In 15-16, Ceci had 24 ES points in 75 games, Miller had 24 in 82 during a higher scoring season. But unless Ceci's agent sucks, or he just craves stability, there's little chance we get Ceci for Colin Miller money.

I don't think the Senators should sign Ceci anymore than two years because they'd be locking in a player long term who shouldn't really be in a position to demand that kind of compensation and isn't at risk for being that much more expensive in two years time to extend again if he settles into a role more in line with where he should be playing. But the reality is, Ceci has the resume to command 5M long term if we're talking about a long term deal.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ceci's getting 5M+ if the Sens sign him long term, that's the market.

I'd hope they go two years, three years max. Even if it is for the same amount of money. I don't dislike Ceci as much as most on this forum, I think he could be a solid #4 if used that way, but I also think it'd be a big mistake to lock in a solid number 4 at that kind of term.

Even with Methot, we nickle and dimed the guy to the point where he was almost dealt. So I'd hope we'd have that same mentality with Ceci. Just get a two year deal done.
He won’t. If he gets 5 million even the ceci most passionate supporters will turn on him. Actually. Maybe we need that to unify the boards

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He won’t. If he gets 5 million even the ceci most passionate supporters will turn on him. Actually. Maybe we need that to unify the boards

"Okay Mr.Cody Ceci's agent, we're ready to table a contract. As you can see it has a 5 million dollar AAV"

"After careful consideration, my client would like to sign for 3.5. He's concerned that the 5 million dollar AAV will upset his most passionate HFBoards supporters. It's just not worth it"

:D

Reactions: Sensators

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
"Okay Mr.Cody Ceci's agent, we're ready to table a contract. As you can see it has a 5 million dollar AAV"

"After careful consideration, my client would like to sign for 3.5. He's concerned that the 5 million dollar AAV will upset his most passionate HFBoards supporters. It's just not worth it"

:D
It will unify us. Into one cohesive unit and anything will be possible.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I’ve mentioned this before, but I wonder if the organization has soured on Ceci at all. I guess we’ll find out soon.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Never heard the Duchene one. I have no idea if Ceci was ever offered for Drouin and Hall. Even if he was, who is to say we didn’t want to do it? Maybe the other teams said no.
I remember for each of those players, Ceci was rumoured to be the asking price. I’d do the research to confirm my notoriously flakey memory, but I’m on my phone just before going to bed - yet another wild and crazy Saturday night!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
For once actually. If you think that’s professional what have you thought about the org the other 364 days if the year

I think PD has been super excited and exuberant about the team and his job, and as the season has gone on, and the realities of his position have set in he has come to realize that he has to balance excitement with professionalism. He's been burned a few times when he's let his excitement get away from him in front of the camera needless to say.

Either this new guy, some introspection, or some advice seem to have hardened him a bit and made him less available and wordy to the media of late. There's been a lot of negativity surrounding the team for a while now, and I think he's done a good job not making light of anything, or speaking needlessly about anything at all really. We got a glimpse of the old PD at the draft when it was clear how excited all the scouts get, but not a word since about contracts or anything, which I think is a sign that he's rounding into his position.

I actually have some faith that we're going to get a good return for EK, it will obviously be a quantity deal, but I have a feeling he's holding from each team until he finally gets a piece that he needs from any one of them. What's certain is that one of the teams will cave, he just has to wait for it.

Reactions: pzeeman

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I remember for each of those players, Ceci was rumoured to be the asking price. I’d do the research to confirm my notoriously flakey memory, but I’m on my phone just before going to bed - yet another wild and crazy Saturday night!

I would love to see the sources to these wild rumours . The only one I rmr the hall one and it was never said Ottawa rejected the deal. Edm probably preferred Larsson

Reactions: Xspyrit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad