Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I have seen a decent amount of discussion about Smith from insiders and everyone seems to suggest that there is interest and that he has value. Will we trade him? I'm not so sure. I get the feeling that he will be back given that Hoff is leaving.

I don't expect anything ground-breaking, but I suspect two years ago and maybe even one year ago, we could have gotten a late 1st or a 2nd + for him. His value has certainly fallen but not monumentally, imo. He posted 41 goals and 68 points in the two seasons before this one and then he struggled with injuries all year. Scored at a 23 point pace which is bad but not brutal, given our inability to score in general.

I think Smith has a good reputation around the league, too. Great guy by all accounts, good inside the room, and he is known as a versatile player. That said, I don't think he would really move the needle in terms of moving up in the first round. I could see a deal for a younger, cheaper, less established forward or a 3rd rounder or something.

I think Smith has positive value. Not grossly overpaid compared to his peers and not that much term on his K. Still offers certain things teams covet, even though he’s one of the first guys I’d want to get rid of on this team.

I hope you guys are right, just seems surprising with cap space always at a premium to voluntarily take a guy like him with the contract he has.

I think he's movable, just not sure what that will look like in the end and if we have to give something up as incentive to take his comtract.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I hope you guys are right, just seems surprising with cap space always at a premium to voluntarily take a guy like him with the contract he has.

I think he's movable, just not sure what that will look like in the end and if we have to give something up as incentive to take his comtract.

I actually think the bump in the cap and the expectation for it to continue due to Vegas momentum + Seattle’s impending expansion makes it a good time to take a chance on a player like Smith (if you believe he still has that 15+ goal ability).

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Last year playoff Karlsson was every bit as good. He wasn't as jaw-dropping offensively or skating wise but his all-around game and impact was up there with the greats in history. He wasn't top 3 in the league, he was the best. And also made the best pass in NHL history. He carried an above average team to 1 goal away from the finals. It was a run for the ages.

I’m am 100% ok with this and you are 100% correct

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
I'd love to get Bennett. So much untapped potential there. I still believe in his talent.

I'd say a rough comparison for him is Brayden Schenn (another guy I'd have loved for Ottawa to get). Similar size, similar style of game, similar questions about him being a center or winger, similar development path where it took him a few years in the league to settle in, hit his stride, and start producing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hoffman +22nd for Bennett and Jankowski. Fills our 2nd line Centre issue.
Yuck. No thanks. Also, I think the Flames need at least one of those two for their own center position. I don't think they want to run with Lazar in their 3c spot.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Circumstances have changed. I was one of the harshest critics of Dorion's inability to commit to making an offer, and still don't think a hypothetical offer would be close to market value. But I wouldn't begrudge him changing his tune and shipping out Karlsson pre-July 1. I'd obviously rather it not happen, but it seems inevitable with this Hoffman business.
straight up he SHOULD trade him.. i hate dorion.. but what is this garbage making promises to fans about trading players? he should trade him ON July 1st then have a press conference about how this is his team and if anyone wants the job go pay your dues see you in 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad