Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Is there something that makes you think it’s going to be up to the Sens?
If Hoffman and Karlsson are gone...
Why would Duchene re-sign here? He specifically wanted out of Colorado because he wants to play in playoff games, and didn’t want to be part of another rebuild.
and then if Karlsson, Hoffman, Duchene are gone I’ll need someone to explain to me why Stone would stay?

Duchene is still under contract for another yr & hopefully depending on what happens over the next few weeks & next season maybe something happens where there is some light at the end of this tunnel that is not a train. Duchene may want some job security & Ottawa could probably afford to give it to him, if they don't have to pay EK a King's ransom. I assume they should also be able to re-sign both Stone & Ceci.

Hopefully PD gets some decent returns on the trades he is able to make & (cross fingers) he does well at the draft & July 1. I doubt he will be able to create any miracles but maybe he does better than most think he will & with the players already in the organization they begin to build a decent young team. They should be able to move at least 4 or 5 players between now & next summer.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Except that 2012-1013 pre-Cooke Karlsson wasn't at Hart level. He was at 2nd best defenseman in the history of hockey level.

I still remember those first what? 14 games?
It was like watching a video game - I’ve never seen another player do what he was doing.
IMO as great as Karl was in the playoffs etc last year - and he was truly amazing, top 3 in the league - he was on another level to start the season pre Cooke.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Do you mean move down a couple spots?

There were rumors that we could get an asset for him, but I'll believe that when I see it.

I think Smith has positive value. Not grossly overpaid compared to his peers and not that much term on his K. Still offers certain things teams covet, even though he’s one of the first guys I’d want to get rid of on this team.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
It was like watching a video game - I’ve never seen another player do what he was doing.
IMO as great as Karl was in the playoffs etc last year - and he was truly amazing, top 3 in the league - he was on another level to start the season pre Cooke.

I couldn't agree more. That one reckless play by Cooke robbed hockey fans everywhere of watching a once in a lifetime, eye popping career, unfold right before their eyes.

Karlsson could literally do whatever he wanted on the ice because on the off chance there was a turnover, he could close the gap on anyone league-wide and angle off the puck carrier for a steal, making it look effortless.

At times, he looked like a pro skater lacing them up against beer leaguers. I have never seen skating like that and I grew up watching Coffey, Gartner, Bure, etc... I hope somewhere out there, there's an alternate universe in the works, where Karlsson plays out his entire career with an unblemished achilles tendon and Melinda and Monika are besties for life.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
A good deal for who?

Both. Edmonton gives up two first to move up 6 spots. Hoffman will not get more than a mid round pick. Strome was a 5th overall pick and is a possible 40+ point player. Helps Ottawa in that no way EK resigns unless Hoffman is gone pronto. Sens need to get rid of Hoffman now and Oilers are offering a fair deal.

Or keep Hoffman, lose EK, and then trade Hoffman on his own for peanuts.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Sober fan who will watch Senators lose and end up in a pit of snakes and rats.

Well, of all the Sens relocation rumours, them moving to Edmonton and exactly replicating the Oilers organization from the past 10 years is the most off-the-wall suggestion yet.

Also, one can hardly claim to be sober after having clearly ingested a sheet of acid.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's probably a pretty good return at this point considering the circumstances

Nah, Bennett is getting close to bustville.

Hoff should still be able to return something good. Dude is hovering around being a 30-goal guy. An off-ice tiff caused by a girlfriend isn't going to hurt his value that much.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Nah, Bennett is getting close to bustville.

Hoff should still be able to return something good. Dude is hovering around being a 30-goal guy. An off-ice tiff caused by a girlfriend isn't going to hurt his value that much.

Bennett is a tough player to gauge value on. He could be a finished product or he could be just about ready to break out. I still think he can be a top 6 forward with an edge to his game but it's a gamble, for sure.

The video below shows Bennetts raw skill. He makes some high level plays, he's a physical player and there are some good examples of him creating something out of nothing, controlling the play but not getting a point (see 0:35, 2:50 for examples). The video is really well done and shows a player with several hard-to-find, relatively high-end elements.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Last year playoff Karlsson was every bit as good. He wasn't as jaw-dropping offensively or skating wise but his all-around game and impact was up there with the greats in history. He wasn't top 3 in the league, he was the best. And also made the best pass in NHL history. He carried an above average team to 1 goal away from the finals. It was a run for the ages.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Prediction: Hoffman to Calgary for Bennett.

That wouldn’t shock me, but it would be a dissapointing return. Dorion could sell it by saying Bennett might benefit from a change of scenery, he’s young, talented etc.

It could work out for us if Bennett turns into a good/decent second line centre. Maybe there’s less pressure on him being on a new team rather than being on the team that drafted him 4th overall.

If he doesn’t work out, we still have Logan Brown who could fill that role at some point.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
That wouldn’t shock me, but it would be a dissapointing return. Dorion could sell it by saying Bennett might benefit from a change of scenery, he’s young, talented etc.

It could work out for us if Bennett turns into a good/decent second line centre. Maybe there’s less pressure on him being on a new team rather than being on the team that drafted him 4th overall.

If he doesn’t work out, we still have Logan Brown who could fill that role at some point.
Bennett has mostly played wing despite being good in the dot.

I think the hope with Bennett is that he evolves into a Simmonds-type player, although probably with more assists and fewer goals. Not an exact comparison but they are both big, strong, physical, and skilled. Will Bennett reach the same offensive level? Hard to project but I do think he has slightly more natural talent than Simmonds. If anything, he might lack the mental fortitude.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Bennett has mostly played wing despite being good in the dot.

I think the hope with Bennett is that he evolves into a Simmonds-type player, although probably with more assists and fewer goals. Not an exact comparison but they are both big, strong, physical, and skilled. Will Bennett reach the same offensive level? Hard to project but I do think he has slightly more natural talent than Simmonds. If anything, he might lack the mental fortitude.

I don’t know much about Bennett, and haven’t watched him that much, but I’ve never heard anyone compare him to Simmonds. If he’s that type of player, I’d like to have him. Not sure if I want to give up Hoffman for him, but maybe that’s the best we can do.

Dreger believes Hoffman is getting dealt, whatever that’s worth. I’m full prepared to be underwhelmed by the return.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I don’t know much about Bennett, and haven’t watched him that much, but I’ve never heard anyone compare him to Simmonds. If he’s that type of player, I’d like to have him. Not sure if I want to give up Hoffman for him, but maybe that’s the best we can do.

Dreger believes Hoffman is getting dealt, whatever that’s worth. I’m full prepared to be underwhelmed by the return.

I'd recommend watching the video I posted above. I've seen him play quite a bit since I live out West but when it's compiled in this way, you really get a good picture of his stand-out abilities. He also reminds me a bit of Nick Foligno but with more skill and polish to his game at a young age. If he ever solidifies himself as a 40+ point guy, he will be one of more physical bonafide top 6 wingers in the game.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
If Hoffman goes to CGY I'd personally be more interested in Andersson than Bennett. He's stuck behind a pretty loaded right side in Hamilton/Hamonic/Stone, and Brodie likes to play that side as well. As for us, RD is a huge weakness in the organization right now - compounded exponentially if EK leaves - and he could be a top 4 guy as soon as next year.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I'd recommend watching the video I posted above. I've seen him play quite a bit since I live out West but when it's compiled in this way, you really get a good picture of his stand-out abilities. He also reminds me a bit of Nick Foligno but with more skill and polish to his game at a young age. If he ever solidifies himself as a 40+ point guy, he will be one of more physical bonafide top 6 wingers in the game.
Yea i can see the nick foligno comparison too, bennett's moves are quicker with the puck than folignos but they both flash 1v1 talent while also having some grind to their game. I live in calgary and when i watch bennett he takes A LOT of bad penalties. He still shows flashes and i think he would be better used elsewhere. He is stuck on the 3rd line because calgarys second line is quietly very good. I think IF fabbri could rehain his health he is a better player but seems like a long shot at this point.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
hoffman wont return much anymore

bennett is probably a deal you take at this point

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Yea i can see the nick foligno comparison too, bennett's moves are quicker with the puck than folignos but they both flash 1v1 talent while also having some grind to their game. I live in calgary and when i watch bennett he takes A LOT of bad penalties. He still shows flashes and i think he would be better used elsewhere. He is stuck on the 3rd line because calgarys second line is quietly very good. I think IF fabbri could rehain his health he is a better player but seems like a long shot at this point.

Yeah, he definitely takes a lot of penalties. Another similarity he has with Foligno lol.

His linemates were pretty brutal this year: he was stapled to Jankowski & Hathaway, with Lazar, Brouwer, and Jagr subbing in for Hathaway at various times. I think he'd excel with some higher skill players. I actually think he'd work quite well with Duchene. Failing that, he'd at the very least form a chaotic duo with Pageau.

As for Fabbri... I just really don't know the player too well beyond the horrific injury history. He definitely has a lot of talent but I really worry about him. Don't think the risk is worth the reward (unless we really can't get anything better than a 2nd + depth prospect for Hoffman, in which case I'd roll the dice).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad