Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
NHL buyout window opens tomorrow. It will be interesting to see which players around the league are bought out.

Also both Milan Lucic and David Backes are speculated to be available and there is some speculation that Corey Perry could be available as well. They might be interesting targets if we are able to send a bad contract back.

I do not believe the Senators will acquire another old, over-the-hill, slow, highly paid player. The team needs to focus on lower cost players on ELCs and RFA contracts, not more expensive UFA types.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
How terrifying is it that Dumb Dumb Dorion is leading this off-season

Most important off-season in franchise history

We're screwed

I’m not a fan of Dorion, but I wonder how different things would be if we hired someone else. He didn’t exactly walk into a great situation.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I’m not a fan of Dorion, but I wonder how different things would be if we hired someone else. He didn’t exactly walk into a great situation.

However, he was part of the management team that helped create the situation.

I wanted a new GM from outside the Senators organization from the get-go.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
But why? The organization is in a shambles and isn't winning any time soon, we can't pay what other teams will, Stone isn't even from the province so there's no hometown connection...

What reason is there to stay?

Well if Karlsson and Hoffman are gone, that's close to 12 million removed, which leaves Ottawa at a team cap hit of under 50 million. They'd definitely have the money to offer Stone a big money, long term deal [even if Karlsson stays, they'll be able to do this]. So he'd had a big money offer, plus getting to continue to live in Ottawa [I'm sure he's enjoyed his time and has built relationships here]. He'll have a leadership role here, and likely has plenty of friends on the team. This new drama is terrible, but Hoffman will be moved, and hopefully that calms the waters.

Inevitably, the best way for this team to regain respectability is to sign Karlsson to a long term deal. That would be a huge sigh of relief for the fanbase, and other players would likely look at that as a sign that this team isn't the laughingstock of the league. I think that'll come down to whether or not Karlsson wants to be here, and I'm not so sure of that.
If he leaves, I think the Sens will try hard to get Duchene and Stone signed long term. They'd want them to be the leaders going forward, to go with the young guys like Chabot, Brown, Batherson, whoever gets picked 4th overall, and whatever they get from the Karlsson trade.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
At this point I’ll take RNH for Hoffman.
You say that like RNH is a terrible low end player. RNH would instantly be the best center on the Sens. Even better than Duchene who I see should be a winger in my opinion. I'm a long time Sens fan and Oilers fan to make this clear. RNH is a high IQ center that is really great with the puck. Has a great defensive game and works hard each night. He had a few injury years that put a hamper on a few seasons. He has more value than you would think to a team. He's the only one that can keep up to how McDavid thinks the game, hence why they put him on his wing. Hoffman doesn't have that IQ to do that. He's a I'll go here, you pass and I'll shoot kind of player. Sens would have to give up more to aquire him.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
You say that like RNH is a terrible low end player. RNH would instantly be the best center on the Sens. Even better than Duchene who I see should be a winger in my opinion. I'm a long time Sens fan and Oilers fan to make this clear. RNH is a high IQ center that is really great with the puck. Has a great defensive game and works hard each night. He had a few injury years that put a hamper on a few seasons. He has more value than you would think to a team. He's the only one that can keep up to how McDavid thinks the game, hence why they put him on his wing. Hoffman doesn't have that IQ to do that. He's a I'll go here, you pass and I'll shoot kind of player. Sens would have to give up more to aquire him.

Umm. No.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

No, it’s just that when the idea was first floated I didn’t think it made sense. It helps us fill a hole (2C) but creates another hole on the wing. We also have Logan Brown coming, so I never loved the idea even though RNH would not be a bad option as our 2nd line centre right now. My preference was to move Hoffman for a first round pick plus a young player or prospect if we had to move him. This was all before this week’s news. Now I’d gladly take RNH if that deal was on the table.

I don’t agree he’s better than Duchene though, and I doubt many people would agree with you on that, however Duchene, RNH and Pageau down the middle is pretty good.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Hoffmann needs to put a lot of distance and break with his GF. She’ll end up costing him millions. There is no way he can stand with her as his career goes down the toilet

Breakup with her and lose half his wealth... she’s common law with him...

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Breakup with her and lose half his wealth... she’s common law with him...
Ya after over 10 years together, he's cooked if they separate. Thems the breaks though and he would be single and still rich with potentially more earning potential if shes guilty and they break up because of it.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I wonder if trying to get a conditional 2021 1st as part of a Hoffman trade would be a creative solution to this situation?

The pick transfers if Hoffman is re-signed or traded prior to the end of his contract. Prevents a team from buying low on Hoffman and then benefiting by either flipping him or extending him if all this blows over.

Let's say it's Edmonton, something like Mike Hoffman for 40th overall+B prospect or youngish bottom 6 roster player+2021 Conditional Pick. That's assuming his value is low enough that we aren't getting anything better than a 2nd as the main piece for him.

I still am sticking with my Hoffman for Bennett prediction. I personally think Bennett isn't gonna be a top line player, but it's a high risk/high upside move for Ottawa, Calgary gets Hoffman for probably significantly less than OTT was asking prior to the incident coming to light, and OTT can spin the trade from a PR perspective as them getting a top young player (drafted 4th overall 4 years ago) even if it is not entirely true.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
If the team is going to trade Karlsson, it has to be before the draft. If you trade him, you are acknowledging that the team will be bad next year. Then you give Colorado the 4th overall and hope you get Hughes next season.

If we keep the 4th and then trade Karlsson later, we are really neutering our chances of getting the first overall. You will likely get a 1st rounder in 2019 in a Karlsson trade, but the odds of that pick being better than a Sens team without Karlsson is very slim.

Trade Hoff and Smith and shed Burrows and Gaborik. Sign Karl, Stone, and Duchene. Draft Zadina or Tkachuk and start fresh next year (hopefully with a new owner and a better budget) and make sure Colorado doesn't get a lottery pick.

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk/Zadina-Pageau-Ryan
Formenton-White-FA/Trade
Pajaarvi-Brown-Pyatt

Chabot-Karl
Boro-Ceci
Claesson-Wolanin/Wideman

stop throwing brown on the 4th line of your mock opening lineups next season idiots he will be sent down to belleville before he gets stuck on the 4th line

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
If Karl has requested a trade/ won't sign I think best approach is to try and blow it up at the draft. Here's what I'd propose, the Vegas trade might have to be tweaked a little.
Trades

OTT

1. Caggiula, D
  2. Klefbom, O
  3. 2018 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM

1. Hoffman, M.
  2. 2018 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details: Ceci
OTT

1. 2019 1st round pick (OTT)
COL

1. 2018 1st round pick (OTT)
OTT

1. Brännström, E
  2. Glass, C
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (VGK)
  4. 2019 2nd round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details: Shea Theodore
VGK

1. Ryan, B.
  2. Karlsson, E.
Additional Details: Karlsson extended 8 years 10.5 per yea

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Lebrun has an article on The Athletic stating that multiple NHL executives believe Tavares is staying in NYI.

While all indications point to us not moving Karlsson at the draft, Tavares being off the market puts us in a really solid spot. Karlsson (once extended) and Tavares are both 12 million dollar players. There has to be a few teams out there who would have wanted to wait on Tavares deciding his destination prior to going in on Karlsson.

The July 1st thing is still really strange knowing that we can negotiate with Karlsson prior to that. If they want to throw Karlsson under the bus for rejecting a contract, why does it have to be offered on July 1st? They could still have him reject it prior to the draft, and then leak to the media Karlsson rejecting it.

Makes me think that maybe a team has shown extremely strong interest, but only wants to pull the trigger after Tavares, or maybe even Carlson are off the market because why spend 12M on Karlsson when a team can get either one of those guys for "free". While Tavares plays a different position and Carlson is no Karlsson, the only cost required to add Carlson or Tavares is overpaying in cap via a UFA deal. Karlsson not only will require a big UFA deal, but also 4-5 major pieces. So, I can see why a team would want to wait until those players choose their destination.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wonder if trying to get a conditional 2021 1st as part of a Hoffman trade would be a creative solution to this situation?

The pick transfers if Hoffman is re-signed or traded prior to the end of his contract. Prevents a team from buying low on Hoffman and then benefiting by either flipping him or extending him if all this blows over.

Let's say it's Edmonton, something like Mike Hoffman for 40th overall+B prospect or youngish bottom 6 roster player+2021 Conditional Pick. That's assuming his value is low enough that we aren't getting anything better than a 2nd as the main piece for him.

I still am sticking with my Hoffman for Bennett prediction. I personally think Bennett isn't gonna be a top line player, but it's a high risk/high upside move for Ottawa, Calgary gets Hoffman for probably significantly less than OTT was asking prior to the incident coming to light, and OTT can spin the trade from a PR perspective as them getting a top young player (drafted 4th overall 4 years ago) even if it is not entirely true.

Hmm... Bennett plus a condition 2021 1st round pick. I'd be game for that, Calgary could easily be a lottery team by then (can't really predict that far into the future after all), though that could create a really odd situation where everything blows over, Hoffman restores his value, but Calgary opts not to sign or trade him because it would cost them a high 1st round pick to keep their own player...

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
I’m not hung up on the July 1 thing. If I remember Dorion’s words, he said ‘when we can offer Erik a contract on July 1, we will do it’. What he said is strictly true. He isn’t allowed to offer a contract until then.

However, he didn’t say ‘we’ll start negotiating on July 1’. I can’t believe that PD and EK’s agent haven’t been talking at all. What Dorion said doesn’t preclude a handshake agreement like OEL apparently has. We just haven’t heard about it yet, which is probably smart on EK’s part.

And why isn’t Dreger’s statement yesterday about Karlsson getting any play? Because it’s positive?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I completely expect Tavares, OEL, and Doughty to stay with their respective teams while we struggle to keep Karlsson.

I've never been so certain about something.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
What was Dreger's statement?
Said Karlsson is comfortable waiting it out and starting the season without a contract extension if that's how things play out. Also said he'd be open to a trade given the right circumstance or even signing if the deal was right for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad