Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Garrioch had an article suggesting we could still get good value for Hoffman in spite of all the drama. Not sure why, but he still thinks the ask is still a 1st (2019 for some reason) and a top prospect or someone who can help now.

He did say that teams would want to talk to Hoffman and hear his side of the story first.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Maybe I should have used more clear language. Carolina is not going to be interested in a late first in the context of trading their top line 26 year old winger when they already have one of the better prospect pools in the league. Of course they'd take a first for free that's not what I meant.

If we trade Hoffman we go after cost controlled talent and picks, as has already been rumored.

Oh no, your language was fine. Their forward prospects leave a lot to be desired. Drafting Svechnikov and another forward at #22 would help them tremendously.

You’re underrating the value of that first, and perhaps overrating Skinner as well. I never said straight up, but it would be the beginning of a good package if another piece is added.

Again I ask, got any better ideas to replace Hoffman while trying to be competitive next year?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, he’s good at hockey and isn’t over 35. Ottawa hates those guys.
He's gong to be owed 6.5 + after this season and is a UFA. Why would they want to bring in more high prices UFA's when they have Stone and Duchene up next season? We are already struggling to keep the team together with Stone and Duchene making 9 million combined, not to mention Karlsson.

We aren't going to try and be a contender for the next few years, we shouldn't be adding high priced UFA's who will be out of their prime by the time we want to contend in 3-4 years.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Garrioch had an article suggesting we could still get good value for Hoffman in spite of all the drama. Not sure why, but he still thinks the ask is still a 1st (2019 for some reason) and a top prospect or someone who can help now.

He did say that teams would want to talk to Hoffman and hear his side of the story first.

C'mon, we know why Brucie put that out there today. (That being said, I don't think MH value is quite as tanked as people around here seem to think).

Reactions: topshelf15

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He's gong to be owed 6.5 + after this season and is a UFA. Why would they want to bring in more high prices UFA's when they have Stone and Duchene up next season? We are already struggling to keep the team together with Stone and Duchene making 9 million combined, not to mention Karlsson.

We aren't going to try and be a contender for the next few years, we shouldn't be adding high priced UFA's who will be out of their prime by the time we want to contend in 3-4 years.

I mean, I don’t think Skinner is coming here, but you asked why we’d be interested. Because he’s a good player was my answer. Good points on his contract situation though. I just don’t think it makes sense for us to give up picks and prospects right now, and that’s likely what they want in return.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I mean, I don’t think Skinner is coming here, but you asked why we’d be interested. Because he’s a good player was my answer. Good points on his contract situation though. I just don’t think it makes sense for us to give up picks and prospects right now, and that’s likely what they want in return.
Yes, I agree with all the above, my line of thinking as well.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Oh no, your language was fine. Their forward prospects leave a lot to be desired. Drafting Svechnikov and another forward at #22 would help them tremendously.

You’re underrating the value of that first, and perhaps overrating Skinner as well. I never said straight up, but it would be the beginning of a good package if another piece is added.

Again I ask, got any better ideas to replace Hoffman while trying to be competitive next year?
I'm not overrating anything. Over the past 3 seasons Skinner is 10th in goals scored and 10th in points for all LW. He's a legitimate top line winger, in the prime of his career. A late first is not the centerpiece for a guy like that. A late first is the add onto a really great prospect or young roster player in a trade for a guy like that.

There are no better ideas to replace Hoffman while trying to be competitive next year. Off ice drama aside, the teams that are interested in Hoffman are trying to be contenders or at least playoff teams next year - otherwise they wouldn't be trying to acquire a 28 year old. Teams like that are not going to want to trade a really good player off their roster, which is what you seem to be looking for. We trade him for futures to save money and hope we hit big with one of the picks/prospects.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dorion should troll the league by making/leaking crazy offers to Carlson and Tavares, just to pump up their ask from whatever teams actually sign them. No way they'd come here, so it's an empty threat, but might be enough to spook a team or two.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Dorion should troll the league by making/leaking crazy offers to Carlson and Tavares, just to pump up their ask from whatever teams actually sign them. No way they'd come here, so it's an empty threat, but might be enough to spook a team or two.
1 MILLLION DOLLARS

*Pierre, that's only a lot in Ottawa....*

Ahem....1 BILLLLLION DOLLARS
oneBillionDollor.png

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
They should just stack the roster with prospects, some European FAs and a few cheap 1 year UFAs to sell off at the deadline. Resign themselves to being the utter they are and position themselves to just stockpile assets for the next few years to kickstart the rebuild. Guys like Skinner and other high profile/expensive contracts have no real role here.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Not sure why we would have any interest in Skinner

The definition of players who succeed in today's NHL. The guy has played on a limited Carolina team and scored with 30 flirted with idea of 40. Blazing speed, creates his own opportunities and has improved his all-around game. Also excellent puck possessor so he isn't light on his skates.

Skinner would be enormous. Imagine him catching passes off the wing from EK.

OFC this is only if the team is sold lol

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The definition of players who succeed in today's NHL. The guy has played on a limited Carolina team and scored with 30 flirted with idea of 40. Blazing speed, creates his own opportunities and has improved his all-around game. Also excellent puck possessor so he isn't light on his skates.

I know who Skinner is, why would the Sens be looking to make a deal for him now, it doesn't fit at all. We are selling assets off and doing, at the minimum, a mini rebuild. We aren't giving the assets up to get Skinner as a UFA and then pony up a 6.5+ million 8 year deal.

Reactions: armani

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010

Even if the team is sold, Skinner is one hit to the head away from being a 6.5M anchor. I don't think even potential new ownership would be so flush with cash they'd be willing to eat 6.5M + Ryan's contract + Gaborik's contract in what is essentially dead money.

He's a great player, but the poor guy's injury history leaves me wary.

Reactions: Cosmix

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I know who Skinner is, why would the Sens be looking to make a deal for him now, it doesn't fit at all. We are selling assets off and doing, at the minimum, a mini rebuild. We aren't giving the assets up to get Skinner as a UFA and then pony up a 6.5+ million 8 year deal.

For whatever it's worth (eklund lol) the original rumour suggests that this would be more of a panic move i.e. the Sens picking up a big name player to try and distract from the Hoffman circus...good luck with that.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
And if the team is sold?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Duchesne and Stone have asked for trades.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-120...o-still-offer-karlsson-an-extension-1.1113022

Dreger says he's still expecting Dorion to offer Karlsson an extension.

On Karlsson:
- Dorion is getting calls from GMs with consistent interest, but Dorion is not "in any way shopping Erik Karlsson. He is listening... doing due diligence in the case that they are not able to sign him."
- "Any conversations that Dorion is having on Erik Karlsson are not initiated by Dorion."
- Expects that in any deal, the team acquiring him will have extensive conversations with Karlsson's agents before acquiring him.

On Hoffman's trade value:
- There is still interest in Hoffman
- Value/return will almost certainly be compromised by the recent news but GMs who had interest still have interest.
- All that said, the Sens will need to take a lesser deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad