Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You’ll be disappointed on the Hoffman return.

Spezza and Hartley had to be dealt too and we basically gave them away for free

Heatley had a full no movement clause, so he hand picked the team he was getting traded to. He also had an unmanageable (for many teams) cap hit. Spezza had a 10 team list where he could be sent, along with a high cap hit.

Hoffman's one saving grace is he can only block 10 teams, so there's still 20 we can negotiate with. This also isn't likely the first time a trade has been made with a player who's wife was causing issues in the locker room, though most stories are kept far more quiet, and involve infidelity rather than cyber bullying.

I'm not getting my hopes up (currently hoping for a slice of avocado toast, hold the avocado, hold the toast) but stranger things have happened.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
My guess is The Hoffman return is equal to the return for Alex Chiasson.

An AHL player with the potential for spot NHL duty

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
My guess is The Hoffman return is equal to the return for Alex Chiasson.

An AHL player with the potential for spot NHL duty

It has become common place and standard practice for us to simply hand out our talent and lose trades by a decent margin (Although this one in particular is a doozy), I expect it to continue on as tradition until ownership change.

Reactions: armani

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Gonna call it now....we trade Hoffman to CGY 1 for 1 for Sam Bennett.

CGY has apparently liked Hoffman for a while, and now they might have a chance to steal him at a huge discount due to off ice drama.

I don't think Bennett has a ton of value league wide, and I'd imagine CGY is probably ready to cut bait considering his lack of progress.

Bennett is four years removed from being taken 4th overall, so the Senators can take a terrible situation and sell it to the greater casual fan base that they somehow pulled a rabbit out of their hat and managed to get a highly touted young player in exchange for a locker room problem.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
It has become common place and standard practice for us to simply hand out our talent and lose trades by a decent margin (Although this one in particular is a doozy), I expect it to continue on as tradition until ownership change.

Pierre Dorion can really, truly raise his profile a little bit more if he can somehow land decent value for Hoffman. And since Hoffman's not directly implicated in the peace bond, obtaining value for his on ice performance as a goal scorer may not be impossible.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope Dorion does not make a desperate stupid trade; however, I have no faith in him making a smart one.

I just read an article at Hockeywriters about the Dale Hawerchuk trade many years ago. That was quite a trade and yielded very positive results. The assets coming back included a lower draft pick which gave the Jets Keith Tkachuk in addition to Phil Housley. What a fantastic trade. Here is the link:
https://thehockeywriters.com/dale-hawerchuk-trade-revisited/

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Hoffmann needs to put a lot of distance and break with his GF. She’ll end up costing him millions. There is no way he can stand with her as his career goes down the toilet

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
Get real

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

CGY has apparently liked Hoffman for a while, and now they might have a chance to steal him at a huge discount due to off ice drama.

I don't think Bennett has a ton of value league wide, and I'd imagine CGY is probably ready to cut bait considering his lack of progress.

Bennett is four years removed from being taken 4th overall, so the Senators can take a terrible situation and sell it to the greater casual fan base that they somehow pulled a rabbit out of their hat and managed to get a highly touted young player in exchange for a locker room problem.

I really like Bennett, I'd be totally okay with this.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I think Hoffmans easy to move contract and market demand will negate the situation. He'll get a proper return.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If I remember correctly I though I heard some rumour a while back regarding the Pens wanting to move Kessel this summer. I would imagine that Ottawa would probably have to add something but a Kessel for Hoffman trade would save Pitt about $1.5 mil or so & solve a problem for Ottawa. I'm not a big Kessel fan but Pitt gets another legitimate sniper & save some money & Ottawa replaces a sniper with another lazy sniper although it might cost them a little more money.

If EK is also moved, I hope it's to Detroit & Ottawa can include either their 2018 1st rd pick or their 2019 1st rd pick or both in a deal. I would also want Mantha & Ottawa would need to somehow acquire Mike Green to replace EK on the top pairing right side for a yr or two. Out - EK & Hoffman, In - Kessel & Green & maybe Mantha or some other good player. Most likely though I assume Ottawa trades one out of the conference & the other out of the division.

Note to Mods - is it possible to include the thread title at the bottom of the page somehow, so that when we are responding to a post we can remember which thread we are in & not have to scroll up to remember?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Note to Mods - is it possible to include the thread title at the bottom of the page somehow, so that when we are responding to a post we can remember which thread we are in & not have to scroll up to remember?

The thread title appears in the URL after hfboards.Mandatory.com/threads/, so you should be able to just look at that (unless I guess you're on a mobile and that portion doesn't fit in the display).

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Exactly what I am thinking.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

It makes sense. If you're going to trade him there's no point in waiting until July 1st. Dorion isn't winning back any fans by keeping his word then trading him a few days into July.

I've been pretty forthcoming around here with my opinion that the Sens will be trading Karlsson, and have said so since Melnyk's outdoor game fiasco at the very least, probably even longer if I cared to search through my own post history.

After the events that have come to light in the past 24hrs, I personally think the chances of him staying in Ottawa long-term are so small that I refuse to even try to get my hopes up about it.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
After they give away Hoffman and Karlsson for peanuts, they should get working on a Duchene trade. Might as well deal him now and not risk him getting injured or having another 20 games slump during the season.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
May Erik Karlsson lead you guys to a cup next year! Sorry this has been one of the worse offseasons in history.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I wonder where the better return would come from, the draft or July 1st. On one hand theres more disposable assets at the draft for teams to throw around. On the other hand, teams could have an extension in place for Karlsson after July 1st, which could increase value a ton.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It is possible that given the massive family ties, and overwhelming support from the community and players/wives, that the Karlsson's have no interest in running from this.

It's easy to assume that EK would want to get away from this situation, but there more compelling reason's as to why this harassment would serve to galvanize their desire to stay.

We have to assume that PD and EK have spoken about the situation once it was revealed to the team, and that PD agreed that Hoff/GF would be traded. PD seems to be a stand up guy in the BM model and I'm sure he has done right by his captain given the circumstances.

This will come down to contract in my opinion, remember EK has consistently stated that he wants to stay, well after the events had unfolded privately. OEL at 8 makes me feel like EK for 10-11 is a fair deal.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
God damn we're so f***ed next year. The dominos will continue to fall. Guaranteed lotto pick for Colorado. What the f*** Pierre. Just what in the absolute f*** have you done. This *should* be a fireable offence.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It is possible that given the massive family ties, and overwhelming support from the community and players/wives, that the Karlsson's have no interest in running from this.

It's easy to assume that EK would want to get away from this situation, but there more compelling reason's as to why this harassment would serve to galvanize their desire to stay.

We have to assume that PD and EK have spoken about the situation once it was revealed to the team, and that PD agreed that Hoff/GF would be traded. PD seems to be a stand up guy in the BM model and I'm sure he has done right by his captain given the circumstances.

This will come down to contract in my opinion, remember EK has consistently stated that he wants to stay, well after the events had unfolded privately. OEL at 8 makes me feel like EK for 10-11 is a fair deal.
What makes you perceive Pierre Dorion as a stand up guy? Is it the boasting? The trashing of his staff publically? Is it not suspending his assistant who's charged with harassing a young staff member at a hotel on a work trip?

Do tell what makes Dorion such a great guy. Maybe it's the respect he shows for a player who's greatest accomplishments are kneeing, biting and hair pulling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad