Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Except we know 6 years was not on the table.

Yes, we know from previous reports, that KT did not ask Ottawa for 6 x 6 ....... PD said as much.

The report I've linked and referenced, says KT was asking Ottawa for 6.5 per season, and a contract length that took him into his mid thirties.

So that suggests he was asking for 6, 7 or 8 years.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Turris wanted 7+ Ottawa wanted <5 years. That seems to be the concensus across all the sources out there.

That is basically what I'm saying.

The 6 x 6 that KT accepted from Nashville, was never asked for, by KT when he was negotiating with PD.

The article I linked, says KT was asking for 6.5 M per season (not 6M) and a contract length to take him to his mid thirties ...... which would have been 6, 7 or 8 years, depending on how you want to interpret mid thirties.

I'm focusing of the money (6.5) that he was asking from Ottawa ..... and you're hung up on the contract length.

In the end, he signed for what he did not offer Ottawa .......... according to PD.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
IMO Duchene will get between 8-9 on a 6-7 year deal
8x7.5 or 8m is what I’m hoping for. Exactly a Ryan type deal but we’re in a higher cap and he’s a younger more talented player that should age well.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
That is basically what I'm saying.

The 6 x 6 that KT accepted from Nashville, was never asked for, by KT when he was negotiating with PD.

The article I linked, says KT was asking for 6.5 M per season (not 6M) and a contract length to take him to his mid thirties ...... which would have been 6, 7 or 8 years, depending on how you want to interpret mid thirties.

I'm focusing of the money (6.5) that he was asking from Ottawa ..... and you're hung up on the contract length.

In the end, he signed for what he did not offer Ottawa .......... according to PD.

My understanding at the time was Turris and Ottawa never discussed 6yr term.

And, David Poile hardballed Turris by basically saying their offer was 6x6, take it or leave it. He didn't give an inch of wiggle room. I wonder if that's a perk of working 30+ yrs in the NHL? You have the clout to play hardball like that. I can't imagine Dorion having the backbone to make a play like that...

But he's also got the worst owner in the NHL right now and the team is a joke, so perhaps he has no solid ground to play hardball?

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
What if we trade Stone, extend Karlsson, and extend Duchene?

Glass+1st for Stone, would you do it?

Bodeker Duchene Dzingel
Ryan Pageau Glass
Smith White Gaborik
McCormick Pyatt Puljarvi

Wolanin - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Borroweicki - Wideman
Harpur.

It's not pretty, but I think out of our options our Dcore stays salvaged, and Glass is a top 6 fwd/ #1-2 C. Top centers are nearly more important than RHD these days. I'd be fine with loosing Stone because I feel he is the player with the most value in our org right now.

People are commenting how when we are ready to start competing, he's going to start slowing down and F they are right. I love the player, but feel this is the logical buisness move to make.

On a plus note you might be able to trade Ceci after Stone (they are good friends) making room for Jaros and continuing the rebuild-on-the-fly.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Would rather have Stone than Duchene. A true top line winger vs. a low end 1st line C.

God that Duchene trade, frig

Losing Stone would be terrible, very terrible.

Reactions: Boud

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
8x7.5 or 8m is what I’m hoping for. Exactly a Ryan type deal but we’re in a higher cap and he’s a younger more talented player that should age well.

9 seems like too much for Duchene, that’s more than Hedman
Edit, quoted the wrong post, someone else said 8-9 for Duchene

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
this is so ****ing dumb

trading Stone to keep Karl and Duchene has to be the dumbest idea I have read on Sens HF in a long time. Just horribly thought out and vastly illogical - plus that lineup is pathetic and you follow it up by trading Ceci to let Jaros play lol

gtfo

As much as I'd absolutely hate losing Stone it does make some sense because Stone has more value than Duchene and Karlsson in a trade scenario given his RFA status. Teams won't be as reluctant to give something valuable for Stone since he's a controlled asset and still young. On the other hand trading Duchene won't generate a high return since he's a UFA to be unless he's willing to negotiate an extension with another team. Then you look at Karl and Duchenes position and they both play a more important position than Stone even though Stone is more impactful than Duchene.

Not saying I would trade Stone, just saying this would be the logic for it.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
My understanding at the time was Turris and Ottawa never discussed 6yr term.

And, David Poile hardballed Turris by basically saying their offer was 6x6, take it or leave it. He didn't give an inch of wiggle room. I wonder if that's a perk of working 30+ yrs in the NHL? You have the clout to play hardball like that. I can't imagine Dorion having the backbone to make a play like that...

But he's also got the worst owner in the NHL right now and the team is a joke, so perhaps he has no solid ground to play hardball?

Well PD said, right after the trade, and Turris signed the 6 X 6 extension with Nashville, that 6 x 6 was never an "ask" from KT, when they were trying to work out an extension with Ottawa.

I don't think PD was offering that much term, and probably not the 6.5 M that KT was seeking from Ottawa.

So when he was told there was a (three way) trade in the making and that he was part of it, on the condition he signed an extension with Nashville, I suppose he know by then it was the best he was going to get based on what Ottawa had offered (less than 6.5 and less than 6 years) ..... and with Tennessee being a no state income tax .... he was going to be bringing home more bacon than 6.5 M would have in Ottawa, he may have just jumped at it, seeing how his options were very few and far between.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Would rather have Stone than Duchene. A true top line winger vs. a low end 1st line C.

God that Duchene trade, frig

Losing Stone would be terrible, very terrible.
Losing EK would be terrible. Losing Stone would hurt, but D & C are more important than a winger.

Reactions: Chezzz

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
A bit more than a week until arbitration for Stone/Ceci.

Buckle up?

I think Ceci goes to arbitration and doesn't get as much as he'd hope to get. Sens want to avoid this to avoid getting to the hearing and having to leverage how poorly Ceci performed in terms of analytics but the bottom line is more important.

Last minute deal with Stone on the other hand because neither party wants it to get there: Stone and the Sens want term.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
And PD has never ever lied to the fanbase.

Well KT never stated he asked Ottawa for a 6 x 6 contract, either before or after PD said it was never offered to him (from KT) after the trade was made.

But if you're convinced that PD always lies, about everything ..... even though there's no evidence to support it, then I guess as there was nothing from KT to dispute what PD said, isn't enough to convince you ....... then I guess you can tell yourself he lied about it.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'd be prepared to move Duchene and Ceci to the Islanders who will need a 1c moving forward as well as a serviceable RD IF they were to offer Wahlstrom and Dobson. Now for futures type of move.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Taking the arbitration settlement is the best option for Stone honestly. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he’s gone by the trade deadline or leaves as a UFA.

Is Melnyk seriously going to pay Stone$7.5M +?
I doubt it, he’ll take the settlement and sign with a contender next offseason.
Why do you actively cheer against your team?

I personally think Stone is character guy and is going to re-sign but probably for 4-5 years at about $7.5M AAV.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Yes, we know from previous reports, that KT did not ask Ottawa for 6 x 6 ....... PD said as much.

The report I've linked and referenced, says KT was asking Ottawa for 6.5 per season, and a contract length that took him into his mid thirties.

So that suggests he was asking for 6, 7 or 8 years.
We know that a six year term was never on the table, no matter how hard you try to spin if to match your claim.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Why do you actively cheer against your team?

I personally think Stone is character guy and is going to re-sign but probably for 4-5 years at about $7.5M AAV.
Why would Stone sign for 4-5 years?

Makes zero sense when he can get 7 years as an UFA.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Better, is debatable. More important, is not.

1C is more important than a top 6 forward.
Mark stone is a legit high-end 1st liner, makes his line mates better. Responsible defensively.

Isn't "top 6 forward" just another title for 2nd liner?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It’s the NHL, at some point you have to be ready to pay good players. If not, then you have no business having a NHL team. Many other cities wants to have one, it’s a privilege

You don’t trade Stone to be able to re-sign Duchene and EK. Sens are barely at the cap floor right now despite MacArhur 4.65 cap hit who is 80% insured. Gaborik 4.875 will also be off the books sooner than later (LTIR? Retirement? Buyout? Trade?). You can also trade Smith for a pick or something and replace his 3.25 by a younger cheaper player. Ryan’s contract is getting shorter every year, and if he can stay healthy a full season, then it becomes easier and easier to move (just retain on his salary and replace him by a cheap young player if you absolutely have to save money). Anderson, Condon and Boedker also have only 2 years left... Money will come off the books or could come off the books like crazy in the next few years. They could easily afford to have all of EK, Stone and Duchene assuming they stay reasonable in their demands (7-8.0 per for the forwards, ~11.0 per for Karlsson)

That should be plan, build around those 3, Chabot and then the prospect pool should fill the rest nicely. Then you already have a few quality young supportive players like Dzingel, Pageau, Ceci (if used correctly)...

1st liners : Stone, Duchene, ???
2nd liners : Dzingel, ???, ???
3rd liners : Pageau, ???, ???

#1 D-man : Karlsson
#2 + #3 D-man : Chabot, ???
#4 + #5 D-man : Ceci, ???

Need 15 quality pieces to have a good team, there’s already 7 there, need 3 top-6 forwards, 2 good third liners, a #2-3 D-man and a starting goalie. The prospect pool will provide several of these pieces. If 4 are better than Dzingel (Tkachuk? Brown? Batherson? White? Chlapik?), then it brings him to the 3rd line which is ideal

Formenton-Pageau-Dzingel could be a formidable 3rd line and one of the fastest line in hockey, could drive other teams crazy with relentless forecheck.

In conclusion, if they can build around EK, Stone, Duchene and Chabot, I am very confident in the future of this team. If they deal some of them, then we’ll need to hit some homeruns with the young guys acquire and/or the ones we got.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreePosts
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->