Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2019-2020 (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well... I mean, you offered a rebuilding team a 32 year old has-been cap-anchor in exchange for a piece (Pageau) they are only going to trade in return for desperately-needed futures.

I'm not sure what you were expecting us to be happy with?

I wasn’t being combative, it’s that I don’t think JP moves the needle enough to ensure Buffalo’s pick is out of the lottery.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wasn’t being combative, it’s that I don’t think JP moves the needle enough to ensure Buffalo’s pick is out of the lottery.

I did not think he would be attractive enough to get a first rounder. But since you were offering something we did not need nor want, I thought I would indicate what would certainly get the job done. Many here would likely take a second rounder.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I did not think he would be attractive enough to get a first rounder. But since you were offering something we did not need nor want, I thought I would indicate what would certainly get the job done. Many here would likely take a second rounder.

Seems reasonable.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I could see a contender giving a late first for a guy that can shutdown the best lines in the game and that's a playoff performer.
I dont think that's JGP anymore though. That Achilles injury has severely hurt his skating. He used to be a burner and now he just isn't. We're just past the 1 year mark on that so maybe we see him gain a step in a few months but in his current form, he's not worth a 1st let alone a second. If he doesn't get faster? He's a 3rd or 4th at the deadline, which I think is fine. Not like we want an expensive 3rd line guy on the books during a rebuild.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I also doubt Pageau alone is worth a first, but maybe they could use a few guys that as a group would be worth a first such as Namestikov, Tierny & Duclair or add DeMello instead of one of those forwards. Or if Buffalo will not trade their first look to acquire one of their better prospects like Dylan Cozens who can play C or RW & Ottawa's organization could use more depth at RW. LA is another team that Ottawa should look to acquire their first overall by any means necessary.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I also doubt Pageau alone is worth a first, but maybe they could use a few guys that as a group would be worth a first such as Namestikov, Tierny & Duclair or add DeMello instead of one of those forwards. Or if Buffalo will not trade their first look to acquire one of their better prospects like Dylan Cozens who can play C or RW & Ottawa's organization could use more depth at RW. LA is another team that Ottawa should look to acquire their first overall by any means necessary.

I think we need to take a 40 game look at some of our current NHL players and AHL players and decide what things look like at the drop of the puck in 2020 and 2021.

We have a lot of middle depth. Who will continue to play at that level in the NHL and who has what versatility? Guys are quick to talk about moving out a guy like DeMelo but he's been great for us. Start with locks and work back from there. Chabot and Brannstrom. Zaitsev. Then what? DeMelo can play somewhere between 3 and 6 for several years. Why rush to move him hoping someone might be able to play those minutes.

Same thing up front. Tierney or Pageau? Is Brown going to make it or not? To me he starts moving towards bust by February if he isnt able to contribute at the NHL level as an offensive centre. We have so many guys in the A that might be middle 6 guys. But I wouldn't be too quick to move players that can play for players that might be able to play. We've got a high end piece coming courtesy of the 2020 draft to compliment what we have but I wouldnt be too quick to move out guys like Duclair if he's showing he can play away from the puck in Smith's system.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I think we need to take a 40 game look at some of our current NHL players and AHL players and decide what things look like at the drop of the puck in 2020 and 2021.

We have a lot of middle depth. Who will continue to play at that level in the NHL and who has what versatility? Guys are quick to talk about moving out a guy like DeMelo but he's been great for us. Start with locks and work back from there. Chabot and Brannstrom. Zaitsev. Then what? DeMelo can play somewhere between 3 and 6 for several years. Why rush to move him hoping someone might be able to play those minutes.

Same thing up front. Tierney or Pageau? Is Brown going to make it or not? To me he starts moving towards bust by February if he isnt able to contribute at the NHL level as an offensive centre. We have so many guys in the A that might be middle 6 guys. But I wouldn't be too quick to move players that can play for players that might be able to play. We've got a high end piece coming courtesy of the 2020 draft to compliment what we have but I wouldnt be too quick to move out guys like Duclair if he's showing he can play away from the puck in Smith's system.

duke looks better for sure, he made some good defensive plays last night... but man sometime he looks like he is slow coming back into the defensive play.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Same thing up front. Tierney or Pageau? Is Brown going to make it or not? To me he starts moving towards bust by February if he isnt able to contribute at the NHL level as an offensive centre. We have so many guys in the A that might be middle 6 guys. But I wouldn't be too quick to move players that can play for players that might be able to play. We've got a high end piece coming courtesy of the 2020 draft to compliment what we have but I wouldn't be too quick to move out guys like Duclair if he's showing he can play away from the puck in Smith's system.

You're right we do have a lot of middle depth but I'm not sure why we would need another 40 games to evaluate these guys who have been around the NHL for a while now. These guys are what they are & they are not going to get any better & the fear is that they could get worse or more of the same. Why are we drafting players if they are not going to be given their shot at the NHL. Jaros has been around for a while now & we know what we have, if you don't think he is good enough right now to replace DeMello than we should consider moving Jaros instead.

If we don't think that Logan Brown is going to be a top six centre for this team than we should consider moving him instead of Tierny or Pageau. And having said that we should consider whether this GM & his scouting staff are any good if they are drafting players who are not going to be players for this team in the very near future. Are they rebuilding or re-tweaking again? Have they drafted the right players or the wrong ones? I certainly understand that every player develops differently & each player has a different timeline but at some point they have to have a serious look at the players they drafted whether they will be NHL players or not. And if not the scouting staff should all be fired for their incompetence.

On the other hand, maybe something different is going on, like the GM wants to have a crappy season for the first overall pick. Maybe this is a yr where he wants the AHL team to go on a long playoff run so that the players he hopes will do well in Ottawa get the playoff experience they might need in future from an AHL playoff run. Maybe he also wants to hold back a few players so that he doesn't need to protect them in the expansion draft. Maybe he is going for two crappy yrs to get two very good high draft picks two yrs in a row. Ottawa has a number of 1st rd players & good prospects coming & sooner or later they need to make roster room for them & they should sell high while they can on some of these guys before they suck again & lose their perceived value.

Who knows, what this GM is thinking & what the plan is, it seems to change every quarter. All that to say that the players they have now are mostly journeyman NHL players who don't stick with any team because they have serious flaws in their game that eventually catch up to them & they get moved or they are just getting too old to play in the NHL any more. I don't see that changing with the majority of players they have & since it is a rebuild eventually they have to give their younger players a longer look at the NHL level & not just a handful of games. I don't think I'm too quick at moving guys out & I have said this in past yrs that they can start by moving out the UFAs with no future on this team (Boedker/Ennis/Sabourin). And they can move out any other players that are not performing & also have no future on this team. It won't be overnight & most likely over the course of the next two or three yrs to move out a dozen players.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I could see a contender giving a late first for a guy that can shutdown the best lines in the game and that's a playoff performer.
100 percent, better chance the sens land it for Tierney than Pageau though. Maximizing the asset would be trading Tierney and extending Pageau. I just dont believe the organization carries the same philisophy. They manage assets worse than any team in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad