Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2019-2020 (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
lol do you know who our owner is?

Salary
JJ = $4m

CT = $2.975M
MB = $1.2M

Melnyk saves money this year.

Tierney is an RFA.

Min he makes is $3+

JJ makes $3m next year, the year after that and ends with $2.25

Melnyk saves money in the future.

Plus we can expose him at the expansion draft.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I doubt we would get Pittsburgh’s 1st. It’s I’d want but I could see something like Jack Johnson and a 2nd for Tierney.

Pageau for Backes and a 1st sounds great. But it’s likely to be Pageau and Paul for Backes and Zboril instead.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No picks, just a contract swap. Ho Sang is worth little more than an older reclamation project in return. The Isles we’re willing to give him up for free. If they have to take a contract back instead, a cheap AHL player is all I’d offer.

Ho Sang has next to no value in my opinion. A third would be crazy to give up when we could have had him for free a week ago, found a way to dump a contract, and then put him on waivers ourselves.

No, you offer them an AHL player in return because you’re paying a minimal cost to not gain a contract number, and be able to leave him in the AHL. That’s all you’re paying for.
I guess my point is I'd rather, from NYI perspective, have Ho-Sang on my AHL team than Englund, and it's not really close. I'd rather lose him for nothing and free up a contract spot than take Englund, whom I see as just blocking a contract at this point. I'd personally offer Ho-Sang a qualifying offer to retain his rights, I would not do so for Englund.

I think people too often equate waiving somebody as the team not seeing value in that player. The reality is the waiver system was designed specifically to prevent teams from hoarding players of value and hiding them in their AHL team. The reality is that Ho-Sang clearing waivers actually increased his value (albeit not by all that much), because it give the acquiring team up to an extra year of development before having to expose him again. That puts him on even grounds with Chlapik, for example, imo. I suppose Chlapik may have a bit of an advantage as he can be called up for injuries without fear of losing him, but certainly on even grounds with Paul who is in the same boat.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Pageau or Tierney to Pittsburgh for a 2020 1st, and Namestnikov is an external replacement?

Money in/Money out is close enough. Bjugstad and Malkin are out "longer term".

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Pageau or Tierney to Pittsburgh for a 2020 1st, and Namestnikov is an external replacement?

I think if either are traded it’ll be Brown who becomes the benefactor. I see Namestnikov as a winger here.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I guess my point is I'd rather, from NYI perspective, have Ho-Sang on my AHL team than Englund, and it's not really close. I'd rather lose him for nothing and free up a contract spot than take Englund, whom I see as just blocking a contract at this point. I'd personally offer Ho-Sang a qualifying offer to retain his rights, I would not do so for Englund.

I think people too often equate waiving somebody as the team not seeing value in that player. The reality is the waiver system was designed specifically to prevent teams from hoarding players of value and hiding them in their AHL team. The reality is that Ho-Sang clearing waivers actually increased his value (albeit not by all that much), because it give the acquiring team up to an extra year of development before having to expose him again. That puts him on even grounds with Chlapik, for example, imo. I suppose Chlapik may have a bit of an advantage as he can be called up for injuries without fear of losing him, but certainly on even grounds with Paul who is in the same boat.

I don’t think it’s increased his value much if any. The only value I see is that a new team can leave him in the AHL and see what they have. I have posted twice now about not wanting to use a roster spot on a waiver pick up, which tends to show how much value he has around the league. No one is giving up anything of value for him.

I doubt the isles are stoked to have him in their affiliates locker room either. When the relationship is done both sides need to move on.

It doesn’t look like any teams have much interest in adding young players with serious character issues.

Englund can play a bit in the AHL, and doesn’t harm the room, that’s already a bonus. It doesn’t have to be Englund, I just am not interested in giving anything up that we have the remotest hope of turning into a player for us.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

That would be awesome but I doubt Pageau or Tierney get a 1st back, especially from a team on the decline that just lost their 2nd best player long term.

If one of them were to go to Pittsburgh, my guess would be a 2021 2nd + a bit more coming back the other way, or maybe a decent prospect like Addison.

Only way I could see us getting their 2020 1st in such a deal is if they were using it as a sweetener to take on Johnson's contract.

Reactions: Boud

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
yeah were not getting a 1st back for tierney or pageau. But definitely could see one of those guys (or anisimov) going.
Change is fun.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sept/Oct waivers seem to be a lot like offer sheets....most GMs have a nodding agreement not to disturb the waters on that. I'm not going to fault any GM for not picking up these waiver kids....especially since picking them up means you pretty much have to gift them an NHL roster spot.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I doubt we would get Pittsburgh’s 1st. It’s I’d want but I could see something like Jack Johnson and a 2nd for Tierney.

Pageau for Backes and a 1st sounds great. But it’s likely to be Pageau and Paul for Backes and Zboril instead.
Said it elsewhere but for the 1st and taking Johnson send Tierney and DeMelo or Hainsey (I know but give them the choice) and if they don't want a D return give Anisimov, Ennis or similar. Give them Ennis anyway if it seals the 1st.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Said it elsewhere but for the 1st and taking Johnson send Tierney and DeMelo or Hainsey (I know but give them the choice) and if they don't want a D return give Anisimov, Ennis or similar. Give them Ennis anyway if it seals the 1st.
Just take Johnson worth a first, don t know why give Tierney and Demelo or another

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No one can evaluate talent like Dorion and the Ottawa Senators ... that is pretty evident

Plenty of teams passed on Chabot.

My only point was that the whole "look at all the decent players like Sprong and Ho-Sang going through waivers" is nonsense.

Yes sometimes you have a Hoffman go through waivers but seldom does a player going through waiver end up being that good.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
I really wouldn’t be all that surprised if Pittsburgh would give up some decent value for Tierney or Pageau. They gave us a 1st, 3rd and Gustavasson for Brassard.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I really wouldn’t be all that surprised if Pittsburgh would give up some decent value for Tierney or Pageau. They gave us a 1st, 3rd and Gustavasson for Brassard.

and jr has been handing out some stupid contracts

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Fool me once... Shame on me.... Fool me twice...

Well you ain't gonna fool me again ;)

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
If Melnyk is willingly taking this money on and we aren't moving money out, at least not yet, that can't be a good sign for him selling lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad