Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2019-2020 (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If Pageau has a good season(40+ points) and we get offered a 1st at the deadline for him, I'd trade him.

Otherwise, I'd consider extending him if he wants to stay.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Will Pageau or Tierney be gone by Thursday? After our 1PM game today, we don't play until then.

Lots of scouts watching our previous game.

When we acquired Namestnikov, we uncharacteristically added salary without dumping it.

Per Garrioch, we were in on Namestnikov for a while. What changed to make us pull the trigger? Did the Rangers lower the price? Did we get desperate after our first two losses? Or are we preparing to move out equivalent cash, which opened up the budget space?

Logan Brown is also going to be knocking at the door by the end of the season. I understand the slow and steady approach. But it would surprise me if he didn't earn a spot by April. Will that factor into things?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
If Pageau has a good season(40+ points) and we get offered a 1st at the deadline for him, I'd trade him.

Otherwise, I'd consider extending him if he wants to stay.

We should trade him and then try to re-sign him July 1st.

Obviously, if we really really want to keep him, that's a stupid plan because he could up his contract value in the playoffs, or the market for him could change. But if he wants to be here, we're out of the playoffs, and we're in a position where we would take him or leave him - it gives us a chance to get a 1st and then gamble on him coming back.

He will require a similar contract to White, maybe with less term. Look at Bonino and Hanzal as comparable contracts.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Well, technically we did have the Rangers pick up $750k of Namestnikov's salary... Arguably, that was what the 4th rounder we sent them was for.

The "draft-picks-for-cash" program still seems to be in place.
Ya good point. Is there any value to the Rangers retaining some salary other then saving Melnyk money? Like if Ottawa trades Namestnikov at the deadline, can they retain and have his cap hit be even lower for a team that's right up against the cap (because both Ottawa and New York are retaining)? I'm not too familiar with the cap rules.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Just announced Hjalmarsson, RD, out for 3 months. Arizona played Thursday, Saturday they had 3 scouts at Ottawa's game...?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
... if Ottawa trades Namestnikov at the deadline, can they retain and have his cap hit be even lower for a team that's right up against the cap (because both Ottawa and New York are retaining)?

Technically yes.

Let's say we traded Namestnikov at the deadline, and retained the max 50%... That is 50% of the ORIGINAL contract ($4mil), not the amount we are paying after New York's discount ($3.25mil).

That means we could, in theory, retain a maximum of $2mil on Names to... let's say San Jose (because we always trade with the Sharks for some reason, lol). The sharks cap hit on Names would then be $1.25mil ($4mil - $2mil retained by us - $0.75mil retained by NYR = $1.25mil).

So yes, technically possible. It happened with Devan Dubnyk like 5 years ago, so the precedent is there.

I suppose... All of this is dependent on us eating 50% of that contract in the first place, though. I'm not holding my breath on that one, but yes, it is in theory a thing we could do.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Just announced Hjalmarsson, RD, out for 3 months. Arizona played Thursday, Saturday they had 3 scouts at Ottawa's game...?

I’ve always thought Bobby Ryan would do well in Arizona. Maybe Ryan at 2.25 retained and DeMelo for a 2nd and a cap dump (like the 2nd coming of Marian Hossa).

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I am not sure why DeMelo does not get a little more credit than is given, as I seem to hear his name tossed around a bunch when it comes to trades. He is probably our most consistent defenseman, he is not flashy but he also rarely looks bad in the defensive zone. So far this season he is a +2 on a team with a -7 goals differential. Last season he was only a -1 on where as the team was a -60 in GF/GA differential.

I am aware that plus/minus is not the definitive stat to prove a good player vs player as our two best defenseman this year in Chabot and Brannstrom are -5 and -2 respectively, but they have been exposed quite a bit where as a guy like DeMelo tends to play an entire game and barely be noticed.

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
I am not sure why DeMelo does not get a little more credit than is given, as I seem to hear his name tossed around a bunch when it comes to trades. He is probably our most consistent defenseman, he is not flashy but he also rarely looks bad in the defensive zone. So far this season he is a +2 on a team with a -7 goals differential. Last season he was only a -1 on where as the team was a -60 in GF/GA differential.

I am aware that plus/minus is not the definitive stat to prove a good player vs player as our two best defenseman this year in Chabot and Brannstrom are -5 and -2 respectively, but they have been exposed quite a bit where as a guy like DeMelo tends to play an entire game and barely be noticed.
I think the reason why Demelo and Tierney get thrown into scenarios so much is that because they were part of the Karlsson trade people want to get as much from that trade as possible. i.e. suppose you get a 1st for say Tierney and Demelo, then you can say that Karlsson got you 2 1st a 2nd, Norris etc... people like the magic beans... Although in this case both Tierney and Demelo will not be apart of the team when it returns to become competitive

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I think the reason why Demelo and Tierney get thrown into scenarios so much is that because they were part of the Karlsson trade people want to get as much from that trade as possible. i.e. suppose you get a 1st for say Tierney and Demelo, then you can say that Karlsson got you 2 1st a 2nd, Norris etc... people like the magic beans... Although in this case both Tierney and Demelo will not be apart of the team when it returns to become competitive

Demelo should be traded because it is the most efficient thing for the Senators to do.

This will be the high point of his value as an asset. Career wise, he's been a #6-7 defender yet he's been deployed as a mid pairing defender for Ottawa. He is on a replacement level cap hit which will up his value because it means teams that need help can fit him in simply by sending down another player.

We have two options with Demelo
1) Extend him to an inflated contract, Demelo is in a position to ask for this based on being used way above his talent level. (We call this the Ceci conundrum.)

2) Trade Demelo for an asset that will probably be more valuable than what Demelo will bring us if we extend him to a 3-4 year contract at 2.5-3.5 million.

Picks aren't just magic boxes. They are CURRENCY. Teams cannot just stock pile players because there is a cap ceiling, contract limits, waivers, and overall a limited amount of resources when it comes to developing players. Stockpiling picks is a way to have a store of value for the players a team isn't able to stockpile.

Look at Vegas as an example of this in action. They loaded up on picks. Having these picks (and the prospects like Suzuki and Brannstrom that they turned into) gave the team currency to add Tatar, then Pacioretty, and then Stone. Whether or not all those trades were good trades is not relevant. What's relevant is that the picks enabled Vegas to make those deals because they had the currency to acquire those players from other teams.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Demelo I would assume

Wonder if that could be a 2 2nds scenario ala Dzingel. If we added Tierney could we get back Barrett Hayton. Liked him when he was in Kingston. C prospect for C NHL and the RD they need. Could that get their 1st if we added Paul to Tierney and DeMelo? Probably not but that is worth something.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Wonder if that could be a 2 2nds scenario ala Dzingel. If we added Tierney could we get back Barrett Hayton. Liked him when he was in Kingston. C prospect for C NHL and the RD they need. Could that get their 1st if we added Paul to Tierney and DeMelo? Probably not but that is worth something.

Hayton was the 5th overall pick last year. I doubt they trade him for Tierney and f***in’ rights Melo.

Reactions: Sensators

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Hayton was the 5th overall pick last year. I doubt they trade him for Tierney and ****in’ rights Melo.

Hayton is a better prospect than anyone in our system, so you're god damn right. Could be the best C picked that yr.

I think DeMelo could price himself out of our squad and I think he could return a good amount - at least a 2nd. I would prefer re-signing him if the price is right, though, and I feel that way about him more than I do any of our other FAs - even Pageau. DeMelo is the ideal #5 DMan, in that he can carry a 3rd pair, be a good defensive conscience on a 2nd pair so long as his partner is passable in the top 4, and he can be a useful complement on a top pair with a top DMan. Very nice player to have but I'm not sure how long-term I'd be willing to go on him

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If we trade Demelo to the Coyotes I hope like hell PD targets one of their young players instead of draft picks. They've got a few decent U25 players that haven't taken the next step and could be worth taking a flyer on (Crouse, Fischer, Capobianco, Hinostroza, Garland, Steenbergen, ect).

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If we trade Demelo to the Coyotes I hope like hell PD targets one of their young players instead of draft picks. They've got a few decent U25 players that haven't taken the next step and could be worth taking a flyer on (Crouse, Fischer, Capobianco, Hinostroza, Garland, Steenbergen, ect).
Agreed, and I bet he would as we clearly need some talent in the lineup.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Demelo and or Tierney is-are not returning a 1st from any team
I mean..

No way

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I mean..

No way

If Tierney puts up similar numbers to last year, I think he could.

Personally, I would try and attach our 2nd Rd Picks and plan to move into the 1st Rd.

Same with Pageau and Anderson.

Then do the same with Hainsey, Ennis etc.

I’m hoping we can retain Duclair and Namestnikov, but we have a ton of players we are going to be trying to make room for (hopefully) some time soon.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
I’m hoping we can retain Duclair and Namestnikov, but we have a ton of players we are going to be trying to make room for (hopefully) some time soon.
Hope is some of players from our system becomes better or similar players to Duclair and Names, but i dont see any to come even close.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

Personally, I would try and attach our 2nd Rd Picks and plan to move into the 1st Rd.

If Namestikov has good value at the deadline we should definitely move him we can always pay him as a ufa if he and the senators have mutual interest. We will need to spend money on someone but we should maximize our ability to get assets.

Reactions: Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean..

No way

In a weaker draft I think he would, not sure about this year though.

Last year, Montour, Hayes and Duchene got 1st round picks at or around the deadline. Zuccarello got a conditional 1st.

The year prior, Tatar, McDonaugh, Kane, Stastny, Hartman, Nash, and Brassard all got 1st round picks.

You could make the case that 25 year old RFA Tierney has as good of trade value at the deadline as Hartman, or aging UFA Brassard. Maybe Tatar as well. That RFA status has value, and there's the x factor of how Tierney's season goes. Somebody has to score on this team, and Tierney is in about as good of a situation as anyone to be that guy for this team. If he can find chemistry with somebody and get hot, we could see his value jump. On the flip side, if the lack of skill on this team drags his production down, we'll be lucky to get a 2nd.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca

I don't mind this approach, but also like the idea of using them to trade up at the draft itself. Not sure, if their value would be greater or lesser at the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad