Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2019-2020 (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Brown has arrived, trade Tierney for Puljujarvi and a 2nd stat!
Unfortunately it looks like Riley Sheahan is going to be their 3C. Probably less interest in Tierney after that signing.

Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Unfortunately it looks like Riley Sheahan is going to be their 3C. Probably less interest in Tierney after that signing.

I was being a little sarcastic about Brown arriving after the one rookie tournament game. I also agree there is probably very little interest now in Edmonton, a potentially missed opportunity.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Brown makes the team I imagine we just move White to the wing.

If we move Tierney I'm sure it will be closer to the deadline.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

I can't see White being moved to the wing. I think they are grooming him as a C to replace Pageau. I think Tierney would be moved to the wing before him, but i could be wrong.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

IMO I doubt L. Brown makes the team out of camp mostly because of the one way contracts & the fact that I doubt EM will not want to pay NHL salaries to players not playing or relegated Belleville. I don't see any team taking Boedker or Ennis if waivers but we'll see. It also wouldn't make a lot of sense in a year where you want to tank to place your best prospects on a team when you need to increase the value of your UFAs to get as much as possible at the deadline.

However, after the deadline is a different story & any UFAs who they couldn't trade would play a lesser role to end the yr & that could be the time where they get a good look at a number of their prospects in the NHL. It's also a yr where the organization would like to see Belleville make the playoffs & win a Calder Cup & may want to help them in that regard where possible. This season could also be a yr in which they give some of their older prospects who may not have a future in Ottawa a shot at playing in the NHL to show case them in case someone else wants them. Guys like Rodewald, Szwarz & Goloubef could all be given some NHL games this yr to showcase their skills & increase their value.

I don't see White moved to RW either, I think he is being groomed as the 2nd or 3rd line centre, if Norris can pass him at some point & agree he could be a Pageau replacement as a very good defensive forward who can also add some offence. I could see Ottawa trying to trade 3 or 4 guys from this roster below at some point this yr, if not more leading up to the trade deadline & another 3 or 4 the following yr. That should give their prospects lots of development time in Belleville & if the Belleville team make the playoffs & go on a long run that can only benefit the players & the organization.

Tkachuk - White - Batherson
Duclair - Anisimov - Ryan
Ennis - Tierny - C. Brown
Paul - Pageau - Boedker

Reactions: innocent bystander

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
IMO I doubt L. Brown makes the team out of camp mostly because of the one way contracts & the fact that I doubt EM will not want to pay NHL salaries to players not playing or relegated Belleville. I don't see any team taking Boedker or Ennis if waivers but we'll see. It also wouldn't make a lot of sense in a year where you want to tank to place your best prospects on a team when you need to increase the value of your UFAs to get as much as possible at the deadline.

However, after the deadline is a different story & any UFAs who they couldn't trade would play a lesser role to end the yr & that could be the time where they get a good look at a number of their prospects in the NHL. It's also a yr where the organization would like to see Belleville make the playoffs & win a Calder Cup & may want to help them in that regard where possible. This season could also be a yr in which they give some of their older prospects who may not have a future in Ottawa a shot at playing in the NHL to show case them in case someone else wants them. Guys like Rodewald, Szwarz & Goloubef could all be given some NHL games this yr to showcase their skills & increase their value.

I don't see White moved to RW either, I think he is being groomed as the 2nd or 3rd line centre, if Norris can pass him at some point & agree he could be a Pageau replacement as a very good defensive forward who can also add some offence. I could see Ottawa trying to trade 3 or 4 guys from this roster below at some point this yr, if not more leading up to the trade deadline & another 3 or 4 the following yr. That should give their prospects lots of development time in Belleville & if the Belleville team make the playoffs & go on a long run that can only benefit the players & the organization.

Paul - Pageau - Boedker

I’m not sure you can bring up Paul and Batherson to the big club if Brown was the straw that stirred the drink in Belleville (according to Mann).

You have to reward the right players when they are due. If Brown plays himself into the team out of camp, then you have to keep him up in my opinion, certainly if you were planning on keeping both of his line mates.

Reactions: Boud and Sweatred

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I’m not sure you can bring up Paul and Batherson to the big club if Brown was the straw that stirred the drink in Belleville (according to Mann).

You have to reward the right players when they are due. If Brown plays himself into the team out of camp, then you have to keep him up in my opinion, certainly if you were planning on keeping both of his line mates.
Is it that you don't place as much relevance on tanking for a lottery pick next year or little relevance on showcasing certain (UFAs) players to increase their value for future trades? I'm not a fan of tanking but if ever there was a yr to it, it would be this yr & by showcasing these players you would like to trade would it not make sense to try & increase there value if possible in a yr where the team is forecasted to suck?

While I would love to see those three in a line in Ottawa, just not at the start of the season. I think they have some house cleaning to do before then, but I also understand that they just may not be able to find anyone to take some players like Boedker at $4 mil or Ennis. If Brown can lead a Belleville team into the playoffs & go on a cup run that would IMO not only benefit the player, it would benefit the whole organization & would help all of the prospects in Belleville's development & confidence. Winning breeds more winning.

Reactions: innocent bystander

little BiG

Dec 6, 2018

Paul - Pageau - Boedker

That is one sweeeet lineup! Yikes

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Is it that you don't place as much relevance on tanking for a lottery pick next year or little relevance on showcasing certain (UFAs) players to increase their value for future trades? I'm not a fan of tanking but if ever there was a yr to it, it would be this yr & by showcasing these players you would like to trade would it not make sense to try & increase there value if possible in a yr where the team is forecasted to suck?

While I would love to see those three in a line in Ottawa, just not at the start of the season. I think they have some house cleaning to do before then, but I also understand that they just may not be able to find anyone to take some players like Boedker at $4 mil or Ennis. If Brown can lead a Belleville team into the playoffs & go on a cup run that would IMO not only benefit the player, it would benefit the whole organization & would help all of the prospects in Belleville's development & confidence. Winning breeds more winning.

Honestly I’d rather get a top pick, but I also think that if he shows that he’s ready, like really dominates at camp, it will be hard to tell a kid that knows he’s ready that we won’t bring him up, or pay him NHL money yet because we want a high draft pick.

I’d don't want to spoil a relationship with a top prospect on the one hand is all. I think it’s possible for the team to tell a bunch of kids that they are stoked on them, think that are ready, but that the big club will need some time to clear space for them. In the mean time they need to show consistent effort and production in Belleville.

Something like that, but if the kids are ready, it has to be handled carefully.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Honestly I’d rather get a top pick, but I also think that if he shows that he’s ready, like really dominates at camp, it will be hard to tell a kid that knows he’s ready that we won’t bring him up, or pay him NHL money yet because we want a high draft pick.

I’d don't want to spoil a relationship with a top prospect on the one hand is all. I think it’s possible for the team to tell a bunch of kids that they are stoked on them, think that are ready, but that the big club will need some time to clear space for them. In the mean time they need to show consistent effort and production in Belleville.

Something like that, but if the kids are ready, it has to be handled carefully.

Good points & I certainly understand & respect your viewpoint but this particular situation makes me wonder whether it could come down to what is better for the organization or for the player? What is the plan with this rebuild? If it is to tank clearly that will never be made public. We also hear it all the time about another few months or yr in the AHL has never hurt a player's development, it should be interesting to see what happens, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them purposely dressing a crappy team to assure a high pick. I guess it is arguable, but I thought that was what the Leafs did to assure they were in the running for Mathews when they finished near the bottom of the NHL standings?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Even if Brown went out and won the Calder, we'd still be going for a top 3 pick. The talent deficiency on this team from top to bottom is staggering. We have almost the worst everything. Forward group, D group, goaltending, coaching. Brown could go put up about 80 points next year and it still wouldnt do a lot for us in the standings. Guarentee no one is worried about any one guy going and taking us out of contention for the #1 pick. It would take about 5 or 6 major breakout performances just to contend for a playoff spot.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
It'd be cool if we made a move for Faulk to bolster our D, but you know, there's no chance of that happening.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Good points & I certainly understand & respect your viewpoint but this particular situation makes me wonder whether it could come down to what is better for the organization or for the player? What is the plan with this rebuild? If it is to tank clearly that will never be made public. We also hear it all the time about another few months or yr in the AHL has never hurt a player's development, it should be interesting to see what happens, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them purposely dressing a crappy team to assure a high pick. I guess it is arguable, but I thought that was what the Leafs did to assure they were in the running for Mathews when they finished near the bottom of the NHL standings?

I know we hear it often but I disagree that playing in a lower league doesn't hurt your development. I think ideally players should play where they belong. The concern for us is we have a couple of guys on one ways that ultimately might not be any better than our 15th best forward or 9th defenceman.

The league is always a numbers game. Not having to clear waivers and having one ways are issues for all teams. I think our situation this year might be a bit trickier than most years

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know we hear it often but I disagree that playing in a lower league doesn't hurt your development. I think ideally players should play where they belong. The concern for us is we have a couple of guys on one ways that ultimately might not be any better than our 15th best forward or 9th defenceman.

The league is always a numbers game. Not having to clear waivers and having one ways are issues for all teams. I think our situation this year might be a bit trickier than most years

I'm sort of on on the fence with this, on the one hand, I strongly believe that the best path to development is being challenge, and from that perspective, you should be in the league that provides the appropriate challenge.

On the other hand, I think there is far more overlap between the degree of challenges available in the various leagues. Roles and deployment can result in a player getting the same degree of challenge from various leagues.

There's also the balance of how much ice time a player can reasonably be expected to get at the next level up. Is 16 mins of sheltered mins in the NHL more beneficial than 23 mins in the AHL against the oppositions top lines?

I think we have a few guys that are right in that zone where they could probably benefit from either league. Brown, Batherson, Brannstrom, Abramov, Lajoie, Davidsson... these guys all look like they could play regular shifts in the NHL, or be min munching key players in the AHL.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm sort of on on the fence with this, on the one hand, I strongly believe that the best path to development is being challenge, and from that perspective, you should be in the league that provides the appropriate challenge.

On the other hand, I think there is far more overlap between the degree of challenges available in the various leagues. Roles and deployment can result in a player getting the same degree of challenge from various leagues.

There's also the balance of how much ice time a player can reasonably be expected to get at the next level up. Is 16 mins of sheltered mins in the NHL more beneficial than 23 mins in the AHL against the oppositions top lines?

I think we have a few guys that are right in that zone where they could probably benefit from either league. Brown, Batherson, Brannstrom, Abramov, Lajoie, Davidsson... these guys all look like they could play regular shifts in the NHL, or be min munching key players in the AHL.

I would like to see the best prospects remain in Belleville where they can work to become consistently very good players for the entire year, dominate the AHL, be scoring leaders for the league, not just the team, and thus prove beyond doubt they are ready to advance to the NHL level. So far I do not think the prospects have done that. Yes, they have potential but they need to prove it consistently.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I would say the most ready players are Wolanin, Lajoie (based on games played last year) and Batherson
Balcers and Paul have to be very close as well.
Brown's performance at the rookie showcase is telling me he is pretty close
Jaros is pretty much a lock I would think.

I would not include Abramov or Davidsson in that group yet. I get Abramov has showed well and scored but I just don't see him as that close to cracking the NHL lineup. Davidsson I will want to see more . I would have liked to have seen him where Veronneau played last night on the 2nd line with Gruden and Abramov vs the 3rd line with Kastelic and Kelly.

I am interested to see what happens with Wolanin who is on a 2 way and Brown particularly if they have really good training camps.
Wolanin is a guy who I think would benefit more from the NHL than the AHL.
It will also be interesting to see where Lajoie is although I thought he could use more AHL time and he was really saddled with a tough role up in Ottawa last year.

I have a feeling Smith is going to have Chabot, Demelo, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Boro and Jaros as his top 6 D. How does he handle the 7th D is going to be interesting.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Even if Brown went out and won the Calder, we'd still be going for a top 3 pick. The talent deficiency on this team from top to bottom is staggering. We have almost the worst everything. Forward group, D group, goaltending, coaching. Brown could go put up about 80 points next year and it still wouldnt do a lot for us in the standings. Guarentee no one is worried about any one guy going and taking us out of contention for the #1 pick. It would take about 5 or 6 major breakout performances just to contend for a playoff spot.

Basically. The team will be shit no matter who is on the roster.

If Brown/Bath/Brann are ready to play at the pace of the NHL, keep them there. Rest assured we will still finish 31st.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I think that's where individuality comes in. Taking it case by case, and looking at a players personality and perseverance.

Some guys thrive in a situation where they have to battle for everything they get, and to fight and earn ice. Others thrive when they're sheltered a bit, and have the freedom to be creative and test their boundaries in a more forgiving environment. You don't want the former player to feel bored in an environment he felt he has conquered, just as much as you don't want the latter player feeling overwhelmed being tossed into the deep end of the pool.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
If Brown is the best player in camp and does not make the team... I’m not sure how you can sell it

I’d be demanding a trade if I was Brown after outplaying everyone

I’m sure that won’t be a problem though as Brown will make the team... if he earns it... the Sens are preaching a rebuild around youth

Kind of hard to do that if the team is mostly bottom six vets

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
This guy has some legitimate sources but not a guy with a high batting average.

I just don't see how this team is ready to make a move like this. The only move that would make any sense is offering up Brannstrom+, and then it basically becomes 27 year old Stone for 21 year old Laine. And I'd be fine with that.

The only issue is that he'd cost Brannstrom++. I say we stick out the rebuild until the 2020 draft, get those two big pieces and then go big game hunting.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->