Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Proposal: Ottawa/Florida

To Florida: J.G Pageau and Craig Anderson

To Ottawa: Serron Noel + 2020 1st Round Pick

Florida gets an elite 3rd Line C who is proven in the playoffs. They also get a very capable G to be a backup to Bob during the playoffs.

Ottawa gets a very good RW prospect and another 2020 first round pick.

Thoughts?

I like it. And I think Andy would appreciate being closer to home, too.

(For the record, I know next to nothing about Noel).

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Florida gets an elite 3rd Line C who is proven in the playoffs. They also get a very capable G to be a backup to Bob during the playoffs.

Thoughts?

Would be awesome but...

How is Hoff with his old friends? Not good.

It wouldn’t likely happen because what went down with the Wags

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Would be awesome but...

How is Hoff with his old friends? Not good.

It wouldn’t likely happen because what went down with the Wags
Hoff and Pageau are friends. I dont think it would be an issue with Anderson either, that being said I dont think the sens get that much back for that package.

His QO is the same as his cap hit, but his cap hit is 4.9M. If a player who doesn't do a lot else isn't producing, that's too big. I'll be surprised if he gets that much from whoever he signs with next season, even if it is whoever owns his RFA rights. (He can stay for less without being qualified)
If Cody Ceci gets qualified so will Galchenyuk. Probably not by Pittsburgh though, i think he is definitely getting traded. Hopefully not here unless its because he has negative value and the sens get something back for taking him.

I really think the sens need to trade Pageau now they will get more and win less games. They desperately need to get a top 3 pick this year.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Cody Ceci gets qualified so will Galchenyuk. Probably not by Pittsburgh though, i think he is definitely getting traded. Hopefully not here unless its because he has negative value and the sens get something back for taking him.

I really think the sens need to trade Pageau now they will get more and win less games. They desperately need to get a top 3 pick this year

Galchenyuk already has 7 accrued seasons. He is UFA when the contract ends so there is no qualifying offer

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Thoughts?
Easy yes from Ottawa.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Thoughts?

Easy yes, maybe we even add a 3-4RD pick. Noel is from Ottawa, 6.5, would look great with Byfield and the other giants on the team. He also doesn’t need to be protected in the expansion draft which is a thing.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
How does Duclair fit in our long term plans?

If he doesn’t what would his value be?

I hope we re-sign him to a 3-4 year contract. He is at that perfect ripe age, and has seemed to find his game. Based on a simple eye test of watching him through 30 games, he is definitely an NHL player and a top offensive talent. His speed alone separates him from half the players in the league and with a little more experience he can become more consistent offensively.

He has 13 goals in 30 games, so if we are simply being cautious with expectations and assume he scores another 13 goals in the remaining 52 games (if healthy), that would give him 26 goals on the year. If he scores 30? Well, you tell me, what are young 30 goal scorers worth (both in money and trade value) in the NHL?

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Thoughts?
If you deal with Florida then I would go Spencer Knight and a high pick (1st or 2nd).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
galchenyuk reportedly available a week after I say we should get him the stars are aligning boyzzzz

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
My 2 cents:
Keep Duclair. He does something exciting every single game.
Need to trade Pageau while his stock is high.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m starting to lean towards moving Tierney whether Pageau is signed or traded.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah. Love this idea. If we get a top 2 pick and add a legit starter we have makings of a good young team. Maybe not a playoff contender but one that can compete. Go even further and add a good D in free agency and we're half way to flavour town.

Are they not already doing that? They are 12-17-1 but many of these losses came from a 1 goal game and/or with an empty netter against. They are -15 and that includes 2 games were it went totally wrong (7-2 and 8-2). Not a Smith/Dorion fan but credit where its due in that they have made this team competitive without even having a 1 first liner and 2 major holes on defense (and 2 back-up caliber goalies).

If they add a Byfield/Lafreniere and a legit starter, that could be the bump necessary to make the playoffs, and not to mention all the young talent that will progress/graduate soon (Chabot, Tkachuk, White, Brown, Batherson, Norris, Balcers, Wolanin, Brannstrom, Formenton, Abramov? etc)

Last edited:

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Are they not already doing that? They are 12-17-1 but many of these losses came from a 1 goal game and/or with an empty netter against. They are -15 and that includes 2 games were it went totally wrong (7-2 and 8-2). Not a Smith/Dorion fan but credit where its due in that they have made this team competitive without even 1 first liner and 2 major holes on defense.

If they add a Byfield/Lafreniere and a legit starter, that could be the bump necssary to make the playoffs, and not to mention all the young talent that will progress/graduate soon (Chabot, Tkachuk, White, Brown, Batherson, Norris, Balcers, Wolanin, Brannstrom, Formenton, Abramov? etc)

Serious question, how many backup goalies have we faced?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Doesn't matter at all. Teams playing against the Sens are facing back-ups every game.

Not sure how to respond to that, teams have starters and backups, the reason the backup does not play as many games is they are just not as good.

In your opinion we have 2 subpar goalies but we don't have a better option. Other teams having a better option but choosing to play the lesser of the two can over inflate a teams record. Hence why it is very relevant.

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not sure how to respond to that, teams have starters and backups, the reason the backup does not play as many games is they are just not as good.

In your opinion we have 2 subpar goalies but we don't have a better option. Other teams having a better option but choosing to play the lesser of the two can over inflate a teams record. Hence why it is very relevant.

Not sure how to respond to that. Anderson has been out of his prime for a while now and Nilsson is a hot/cold streaky goalie, aka a career back-up (almost 30 y/o and a career 0.907 SV%, never had a season as a starter). That the Sens face a starter or a back-up doesn't matter, they are themselves starting a back-up caliber goalie EVERY GAME. They certainly don't have an advantage in that regard. Several teams have better back-ups than any of our goalies.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Not sure how to respond to that. Anderson has been out of his prime for a while now and Nilsson is a hot/cold streaky goalie, aka a career back-up (almost 30 y/o and a career 0.907 SV%, never had a season as a starter). That the Sens face a starter or a back-up doesn't matter, they are themselves starting a back-up caliber goalie EVERY GAME. They certainly don't have an advantage in that regard. Several teams have better back-ups than any of our goalies.
I submit, you don't seem to grasp that our goaltending situation has exactly zero to do with other teams purposely icing their backup. In one case a team has a choice, in the other case they don't.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I submit, you don't seem to grasp that our goaltending situation has exactly zero to do with other teams purposely icing their backup. In one case a team has a choice, in the other case they don't.

So you have decided that I'm the one not "grasping"? Ok...

Yes I understand your point of having a choice vs not. Many teams are starting their back-ups because they have to give their starter a rest and know the Sens have less firepower than most teams. Where am I not acknowledging that?

That being said, I am not sure Sens had more trouble scoring against "known starters" than vs back-ups so I don't think it had as much impact as you seem to think. Many teams are using their goalies in a split situation or in several cases, some teams have a back-up that is now as good as the big name starter or better (ex : I love the King but Georgiev, that we faced and scored 6 against, the highest he gave up this season, is probably better now). I could spend more time and provide even more arguments and facts but frankly, I'm not that interested in the actual conversation, and well I have other things to do

All that being said, I was adding another angle to this because it has a much bigger impact on the outcomes of games (which was my point, if you can grasp it) saying the Sens have zero advantage in nets most of the time because the other team has a better goalie in front of their net, starter or not.

Hopefully, this was detailed enough

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Galchenyuk already has 7 accrued seasons. He is UFA when the contract ends so there is no qualifying offer

That's my bad, I was the one who initially said he was an RFA.

It's still the same situation though. If we acquire him now, he's possibly a rental. Same as if he had a 4.9M qualifying offer, because we would not qualify him for that.

I don't mind a Boedker for Galchenyuk swap, but I don't think we should be giving up major assets for a player who could walk, and I don't think we should give term/money to Galchenyuk, There are probably more effective ways to use whatever our budget is.

In a perfect world where we can spend 80-85 million on players, then maybe it makes sense because our salary/cap obligations are so low. Judging by our roster makeup this season, I'm not sure that the Sens are willing to spend there. We have a lot of money coming off the books next season, but we also have to give raises to a few players.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I’m starting to lean towards moving Tierney whether Pageau is signed or traded.

If we can get a premium for Tierney based on him not being a rental, I would be fine with us moving him. Minnesota got a bit of a better prospect than they otherwise would have gotten for Coyle because he wasn't just a rental. The same thing happened when we moved Brassard, we got a much better package than he would have attracted as a rental. Tierney won't get as much as either of those players, but it's all relative.

If the return is close to what he'd get as a rental, it makes more sense to hold on to him for one more season. I guess there's risk that his value could drop further, but I'd take that chance.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
So you have decided that I'm the one not "grasping"? Ok...

Yes I understand your point of having a choice vs not. Many teams are starting their back-ups because they have to give their starter a rest and know the Sens have less firepower than most teams. Where am I not acknowledging that?

That being said, I am not sure Sens had more trouble scoring against "known starters" than vs back-ups so I don't think it had as much impact as you seem to think. Many teams are using their goalies in a split situation or in several cases, some teams have a back-up that is now as good as the big name starter or better (ex : I love the King but Georgiev, that we faced and scored 6 against, the highest he gave up this season, is probably better now). I could spend more time and provide even more arguments and facts but frankly, I'm not that interested in the actual conversation, and well I have other things to do

All that being said, I was adding another angle to this because it has a much bigger impact on the outcomes of games (which was my point, if you can grasp it) saying the Sens have zero advantage in nets most of the time because the other team has a better goalie in front of their net, starter or not.

Nilsson has the 28th highest save percentage in the league, so statistically (using SVP as a metric anyways) you're take isn't all that accurate.

I'm not trying to champion Nilsson as some long-term option here, the guy kinda is what he is at this point, but saying he's the worst goalie on the ice (most of the time) regardless of who the other team is playing doesn't seem fair to the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad