BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
giphy.gif

How do the two relate...

Relativity and Garrioch both involve large amounts of mass? :huh:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It is all hypothetical anyway, but say we had the choice between a guaranteed 20-31 pick in a "deep" 2020 draft, or a possibility of a top 10 pick in a not so deep 2021 draft, what would you choose?

Depending on the draft years, sometimes the 25th kid in a strong draft is better than the 10th in a weak one. That's the dilemma. Gotta have a strong scouting staff and feel for what may happen. And I don't have faith in our management team to be able to think that far ahead.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Assuming Zaitsev doesn’t play another NHL game... does Jaros fill his spot?

If not.... who?
Jaros or Lajoie would be fine. In a throw away year, the org needs to see what they have in these guys and make a decision on their future with the club before JBD and Lassi are pushing for spots.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Jaros and Boro played quite a bit together last year, would assume that'd be something they try out if Zaitsev is out for any length of time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Assuming Zaitsev doesn’t play another NHL game... does Jaros fill his spot?

If not.... who?

Chabot-Hainsey
Boroweicki-Jaros
Lajoie-DeMelo
Goloubef

Is it possible the team's been looking for a Dman (as per Garrioch's hints) because of this?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Anderson (50%)
Ennis

for
Allen
Barbashev

Ottawa adds to their goaltending logjam but gets a potential bounce back goalie on the cheap and get Barbashev who has some upside to add to the team

St. Louis saves about 3 million (prorated) in cap space which they can use to add another piece at the deadline. St. Louis picks up a slight offensive upgrade as of right now. Plus with Anderson and Ennis expiring this year it gives St. Louis more flexibility to resign Pietrangelo

so who says no?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Anderson (50%)
Ennis

for
Allen
Barbashev

Ottawa adds to their goaltending logjam but gets a potential bounce back goalie on the cheap and get Barbashev who has some upside to add to the team

St. Louis saves about 3 million (prorated) in cap space which they can use to add another piece at the deadline. St. Louis picks up a slight offensive upgrade as of right now. Plus with Anderson and Ennis expiring this year it gives St. Louis more flexibility to resign Pietrangelo

so who says no?

If we're taking on Allen, I'd want a better sweetener than Barbashev, especially if we're giving up assets in the deal as well.

Allen + 2nd for Anderson is something the Blues may consider. That's a deal that would make sense.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If we're taking on Allen, I'd want a better sweetener than Barbashev, especially if we're giving up assets in the deal as well.

Allen + 2nd for Anderson is something the Blues may consider. That's a deal that would make sense.

the way I see it in terms of value

Barbashev
Ennis
Anderson
Allen

So I thought the value evened out, maybe the blues add in a 4th?

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
With Zaitsev out for a while (presumably) this is an excellent chance to elevate Boro’s, Hainsey’s abs DeMelo’s stock before the deadline.

Plus Pageau and maybe a few others we could be in line to get an additional four picks on the top 100 of this year’s draft.

Would bring our total to ten of the first 100ish players to go in the deepest draft in almost two decades.

It’s always darkest before dawn - and come this draft it is a dawn of a new Era in Ottawa sports history.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Anthony Duclair might be a great consolation prize for the Taylor Hall sweepstake losers - and it will drove up the Dukes trade cost.

Lots of similarities in style, great speed, good scoring touch, not super smart players but raw skill is undeniable.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Anthony Duclair might be a great consolation prize for the Taylor Hall sweepstake losers - and it will drove up the Dukes trade cost.

Lots of similarities in style, great speed, good scoring touch, not super smart players but raw skill is undeniable.

What Hall returns in a trade has no impact on the return for Duclair. Hall is far superior.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

We should sign him.

What message does it send if we tell players to work hard and buy in, then we go out and trade a guy who after an up and down NHL career (his fault) finally turns the corner and buys in?

We also might get a bit of a discount because of his history of flaming out.

It doesn't have to be a long term deal. 2 years to buy up his last RFA years would be good.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We should sign him.

What message does it send if we tell players to work hard and buy in, then we go out and trade a guy who after an up and down NHL career (his fault) finally turns the corner and buys in?

It doesn't have to be a long term deal. 2 years to buy up his last RFA years would be good.

Depends on the contract. I'd really worry about signing him for anything longer than 2 years.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We should sign him.

Generally I agree but everyone is tradable and at some point we would have to consider moving him.

hypothetical - but trading Duc for a late first or equal prospect than singing or trading a second for a Hoffman type player/prospect could be a decent move for this org.

This organization needs a PP trigger to compliment Chabot over the next few years as the 2020 picks join the club.

Reactions: Tuna99

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Anderson (50%)
Ennis

for
Allen
Barbashev

so who says no?
I don’t really see St. Louis accepting this deal despite any cap savings.

Reactions: Ed Wood

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We should move Anderson at the deadline so that we can see what we have in Hogberg and determine whether he will be our #2 goalie next season.

We may have to retain salary, but there should be a market for him. If Driedger doesn't work out in Florida, they might be a target. As would Toronto. Florida has Montembeault longer term, but Anderson would be a rental for them.

A best case scenario, we get a 3rd round pick. More likely, we get a late pick.

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
I'm wondering if we might kick tires on Mikael granlund. He could potentially be a buy-low candidate, who is still young enough to contribute for years to come. All this is assuming we're looking for offensive help.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm wondering if we might kick tires on Mikael granlund. He could potentially be a buy-low candidate, who is still young enough to contribute for years to come. All this is assuming we're looking for offensive help.

Any acquisition at this point exposes someone for the expansion draft. Teams are going to be challenged to give picks for players that just expose another player/prospect in 1.0+ years.

I think it’s why teams won flip a 2-3 pick for Poolyparty etc. It ends up giving away the pic or whoever is 8th on your protection list which is prob valued at a 1-2 pick.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
My dark horse candidate for JGP is Carolina with the Leafs protected 1st and a conditional pick in return.

That would be amazing actually, I am just not sure Carolina would want to give that pick up? I suppose it could work if it is a conditional 1st based on which of the two (Leafs or their own) is the lower pick. They might agree to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad