Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2019-20 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
People said essentially the exact same things about Duclair before he got here too

I don't think the issues with Duclair were very similar.

For one, doesn't carry anywhere near the off-ice baggage that Galch does; Duclair had been afforded far less opportunity than Galchenyuk; Duclair was 23 when he was acquired, Galchenyuk will be 26 by the deadline + most importantly, Duclair was an RFA and cost basically nothing to acquire.

I'm all for taking flyers on high skill guys at low costs; I'm not interested in giving up cost-controlled young players or high picks for them.

Reactions: NB613

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Well Einstein's theory of relativity is well known and yet still a theory. Just because it is a theory does not mean it isn't true. Lol.

giphy.gif

How do the two relate...

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
How do the two relate...

Well, the other poster disagreed and stated that it wasn't a theory, that it was a well-known fact. I pointed out that fact and theory are not mutually exclusive. Gravity is a theory. The general theory of relativity is universally accepted but is still a theory. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that Garrioch is the unofficial mouthpiece of the Sens, but it is still just a theory. It's like saying 'gravity isn't a theory, it's a well known fact'. It was just a silly post to begin with anyway, not sure why folks are getting uptight. I'm just going to stop posting for awhile...

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I want to keep Pageau but a trade I can live with it is : Pageau vs Newhook

Seems ambitious unless an extension is part of the deal. Who knows how high COL had Newhook on their list. He could be a top 10 draft talent to them internally.

I wouldn't expect a great prospect. Just getting a '20 1st for Pageau as a rental would be a huge win. Consider that Hayes was the only rental who got a 1st last year, and the '20 draft is supposed to be very strong.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
If any team wants to pony up a 2020 1st rounder, you have to make that deal.

edit: this was meant for the Pageau thread.

In the past, Dorion has put out a price, and waited for a GM to meet it.

I wonder if the 2020 1st+Prospect for Pageau is his price that nobody has met, and that's why Dreger (?) was floating it as a possible return.

I'm skeptical we get a 1st for Pageau. Each trade deadline is different market wise, so it is difficult to say. I think we end up with a 2020 2nd, a 2021 3rd, and a prospect similar to the ones (not Brannstrom) that we got at the last trade deadline. That, or a 2nd+2nd with no prospect.

Maybe there end up being some conditional elements like the 2nd upgrades to a 1st if the team makes the conference final.

People can point to the Dzingel package all they want, but it took one team to meet that price. If CBJ doesn't pony up the two 2nds, what ends up being the next best offer? At the last TDL, most impact players went for some combo of a 2nd, 2nd+3rd, or 2nd+2nd. Dzingel getting a great return doesn't for sure mean we'll get a similar return relative to Pageau's value.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder if Edm would part with Lavoie for Pageau, he was drafted in the 2nd rd behind Pinto, I'd even throw in Tychonick.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Who says no ?

To Toronto
Anderson 50% retained
Demelo 50% retained

To Ottawa
Kapanen

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Who says no ?

To Toronto
Anderson 50% retained
Demelo 50% retained

To Ottawa
Kapanen

Toronto....unless Demelo is worth a lot more than I think.

In the most optimistic scenarios, both of those players are worth a 3rd each. Maybe, Demelo gets a premium from a team tight to the cap because his cap hit is so low.

I think that it would take us adding an asset like our 2nd this year, which is basically equivalent to a late 1st since it will be in the 35-40 range or higher.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Follow up:

How does Toronto upgrade their Right side D and their backup.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I am starting to wonder if our asking price for some of our players, specifically Pageau, should shift towards assets from future drafts?

Let me first say that I am on board with signing Pageau first, but if by the deadline there is no contract extension and playoff team's are offering up a 2020 1st round pick, would it be wise to ask for a 2021 or even 2022 1st round pick instead?

A team that makes the playoffs most likely drafts 20+ and as low as 28-31 if they make the conference finals. But we are starting to see a bit of a trend where some playoff teams one season struggle to make the playoffs a year or two down the road which in turn makes their 1st round pick much more valuable. At worst, the following year they make the playoffs again and we end up with a similar pick.

Is this something to consider? Would playoff teams even do that or would they not risk it?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I am starting to wonder if our asking price for some of our players, specifically Pageau, should shift towards assets from future drafts?

Let me first say that I am on board with signing Pageau first, but if by the deadline there is no contract extension and playoff team's are offering up a 2020 1st round pick, would it be wise to ask for a 2021 or even 2022 1st round pick instead?

A team that makes the playoffs most likely drafts 20+ and as low as 28-31 if they make the conference finals. But we are starting to see a bit of a trend where some playoff teams one season struggle to make the playoffs a year or two down the road which in turn makes their 1st round pick much more valuable. At worst, the following year they make the playoffs again and we end up with a similar pick.

Is this something to consider? Would playoff teams even do that or would they not risk it?

Most teams wouldn't risk it. the reason they give up this years first is they know it's going to be in the 20's.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

But then you also have to have a good read on the strength of the following draft year...an that is incredibly difficult. 2020 is supposed to be incredibly strong and deep....I haven't heard anything indicating 2021 is anywhere near that quality.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
But then you also have to have a good read on the strength of the following draft year...an that is incredibly difficult. 2020 is supposed to be incredibly strong and deep....I haven't heard anything indicating 2021 is anywhere near that quality.

It is all hypothetical anyway, but say we had the choice between a guaranteed 20-31 pick in a "deep" 2020 draft, or a possibility of a top 10 pick in a not so deep 2021 draft, what would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce