Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yeah the guy who can't crack 30 points is better than the guy who was at one time the main scorer for the Coyotes...

How's life back in 2013? Do you think we'd be able to grab Radim Vrbata to put on a line with Boedker too? Probably could have him dirt cheap to make a very solid 2nd line.

Surely enjoy it here in 2019 though. The year where Mikkel Boedker was scratched on a last place team in favour of Brian Gibbons. We have free wifi in malls and Patrick Wierioch is no longer playing top 4 minutes for the Sens, and no longer in the NHL.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
How's life back in 2013? Do you think we'd be able to grab Radim Vrbata to put on a line with Boedker too? Probably could have him dirt cheap to make a very solid 2nd line.

Surely enjoy it here in 2019. The year where Mikkel Boedker was scratched on a last place team in favour of Brian Gibbons. We have free wifi in malls and Patrick Wierioch is no longer playing top 4 minutes for the Sens, or the NHL.

That Gibbons certainly did well while here, :)

Reactions: Boud

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
For Bødker, I'm still being hopeful that he'll play well enough to see around 13-16 minutes a night. And then we'll be able to trade him mid-season to a team fighting for a playoff spot and in need of scoring depth, in exchange for a late pick.

The hopeful position: his ice time dropped significantly after his injury in February, so I suspect it was something lingering and that had something to do with the drop in ice time and "healthy scratches". He still scored at a 40 point pace last year (45 point pace before the injury) and he'll come back this season fully recovered, and considering how fluid our lineup is going to be he'll play throughout the lineup with a bunch of different linemates.

The doubtful position: even if he does come back fully recovered, he only had seven goals last year and was a defensive liability. He was among the worst +/- on the team despite being one of the most sheltered. The defensive shortcomings outweigh the offensive upside, and at this point in his career we have enough better options than him on the wing that he likely won't see significant time in the top nine. He'll spend most of the season as a pure depth winger playing 8-11 minutes (or healthy scratched), and so we won't be able to trade him and will have to ride out the last year of his contract. Admittedly, the position of doubt has some pretty strong points.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The Clarkson dream is dead. RIP.

I'm fine with us not doing it for a 4th. (Although, it doesn't really matter because we would never have spent six figures in real cash on a 4th rounder so it's moot)

Turns out Vegas did have the leverage to wait it out and have someone come close to meeting their price. They were offering up a 5th at the draft, which based on past trades was absurd.

I'm trying to think of outside the box reasons why Toronto does this. On paper, it seems foolish. As in, yes they can do it and make it work, and it is a free asset, but why give in to a trade at well below previous market value? Maybe they want to lower the market for these kind of deals in the future by creating their own comparable to anchor these trades to. The Leafs are going to be a competitive cap team for the next 5+ years. Maybe they think it might come in handy to completely reset the market on LTIR cap trades so that if in 2 years they have one they have to move, they won't have to pay nearly as much because of how low they and Vegas would have anchored the value at.

I don't know, maybe that's too outside of the box. Maybe it's the simplest answer, they said f it let's go get a free (six figures in Melnyk bucks) 4th rounder.

Reactions: Hun

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I'm fine with us not doing it for a 4th. (Although, it doesn't really matter because we would never have spent six figures in real cash on a 4th rounder so it's moot)

Turns out Vegas did have the leverage to wait it out and have someone come close to meeting their price. They were offering up a 5th at the draft, which based on past trades was absurd.

I'm trying to think of outside the box reasons why Toronto does this. On paper, it seems foolish. As in, yes they can do it and make it work, and it is a free asset, but why give in to a trade at well below previous market value? Maybe they want to lower the market for these kind of deals in the future by creating their own comparable to anchor these trades to. The Leafs are going to be a competitive cap team for the next 5+ years. Maybe they think it might come in handy to completely reset the market on LTIR cap trades so that if in 2 years they have one they have to move, they won't have to pay nearly as much because of how low they and Vegas would have anchored the value at.

I don't know, maybe that's too outside of the box. Maybe it's the simplest answer, they said f it let's go get a free (six figures in Melnyk bucks) 4th rounder.

Taking on Clarkson gives them flexibility to deal with a massive offer sheet to Marner. Like 11+M massive. With Clarkson in tow, the Leafs can now build a roster with a cap hit of 92M and then put him and Horton on LTIR to cover it off.

So I wonder if maybe they were tipped off that someone was getting serious about a Marner offer sheet and this was done to discourage it, and to also allow them to deal with it even if it were to happen regardless. Then again - I don't really see a team with the cap space to realistically threaten the Leafs - the Sens are pretty much the only team with the space to do that sort of thing and we all know Melnyk isn't getting into that racket.

Weird trade. It's probably just a team with more money than it knows what to do with just buying a largely valueless asset.

Reactions: derriko

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
what about Ryan for Kovalchuk as a base

Why would LA do that? They are a big budget team, Kovy will just “retire” and flounder on back to the KHL if he puts up another terrible season. That still leaves them ahead financially vs. taking on Ryan. Bobby isnt going to Russia so they are stuck with the contract until it expires.

They are retooling. They still have 2, maybe 3 superstars who have a lot of mileage left. Kovy retiring and getting to use that cap space >>>> Bobby freakin Ryan.

Reactions: MilesNewton

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
what about Ryan for Kovalchuk as a base
I think they would love to dump Ryan just not sure how they would do it and who?
Not sure if another aging Vet is the answer since LA is in a rebuild mode like Ottawa.What about Ryan for Martinez?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
ryan might make more sense to arizona depending on how much the new owner is able to spend

send back hossa's cap hit and whatever salary to balance

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Rather than bring in another bad contract it would make more sense just to keep Ryan around for the remainder of his contract which is about 3 more yrs. He can still play, he's a decent playmaker & goal scorer who plays with a little jam & when he wants to is decent defensively, sadly, we could actually do worst than having Ryan around. Of course, if someone does inquire abut him they will likely try & move him but given how young this team is going to be having Ryan around won't hurt them on or off the ice.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Why would LA do that? They are a big budget team, Kovy will just “retire” and flounder on back to the KHL if he puts up another terrible season. That still leaves them ahead financially vs. taking on Ryan. Bobby isnt going to Russia so they are stuck with the contract until it expires.

They are retooling. They still have 2, maybe 3 superstars who have a lot of mileage left. Kovy retiring and getting to use that cap space >>>> Bobby freakin Ryan.

Kovalchuk signed as an over-35 player so unless he LTIRetires, his caphit is unavoidable, even if he goes to Russia or retires

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I just looked at Kovalchuk's contract, and it's INSANELY front-loaded.

Despite an annual cap hit of $6.25mil over the 3 year term, last year he got front ended a salary of $8.5 mil, and this year the bulk of his salary is in the form of a massive $5.3 mil signing bonus that has already been paid... His actual salary this season is only $700k. Next year's salary is only $4.25mil.

As of right now, Kovy's got less than $5mil in actual salary left to be paid out for two years of hockey. If it weren't for the NMC (which I seriously doubt he would ever waive to come here), his contract sounds like a wet dream for our current management group.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Rather than bring in another bad contract it would make more sense just to keep Ryan around for the remainder of his contract which is about 3 more yrs. He can still play, he's a decent playmaker & goal scorer who plays with a little jam & when he wants to is decent defensively, sadly, we could actually do worst than having Ryan around. Of course, if someone does inquire abut him they will likely try & move him but given how young this team is going to be having Ryan around won't hurt them on or off the ice.

He is soft and lazy and sets a bad example as a veteran. He hasn't once showed up to camp in peak physical condition. For the amount of money he gets paid it us disrespectful to the organization and his teammates to not get in shape. If he is sticking with the Sens the best thing he could do is go train with Gary Roberts or hire some high end strength and conditioning coach and show up to camp this year in the best shape he possibly can get in.

I thought we could trade him for another bad contract but if that isn't the case I would be all for buying him out.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Its around 47 million in real dollars i believe. Atleast with the high end depth of this draft its a good year to be the worst team in hockey by a wide margin.

Sens are pretty much guaranteed to get one of Lafrennier, Byfield, Lundell, Holtz or Raymond.

We just have to hope that Dorion manages those draft pick assets wisely. No more throwing them away in minor trades or going way off the board with draft selections. The 2020 draft is pivotal to the rebuild and Dorion needs to do a good job with it.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I can see LA dealing with Kovy next year instead of this year. I think despite finishing the season so poorly they are going to try to make the playoffs again.
They have too many guys that are on the tail edge of peak and on the way down hill. They need at least 1 or 2 more pushes before they tear down.

That being said, if they were looking to free up cap space, Jeff Carter is a good candidate. He claims he would retire before being traded. His salary is 3M, 2M, 2M despite a cap hit of over 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad