Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
For the record the reason Jake Virtanen is available is because he is not the player they thought he would be when they drafted him. He won't drive the net and only shows spurts of being a good player.

The Canucks brought in Ferland as motivation for Virtanen to see if he can fit into that mold of power forward, because he is definitely not that now.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
YES IT WOULD ... however I don't see this management team doing anything like that. They have had plenty of chances to add grit & they constantly go the other way which has yet to work out for them with all of the puny players they have acquired in the past. Of course, some of the blame goes to the coaches who wanted their pet players who of course did not work out & are back in the minor leagues where they belong. They had an opportunity to draft Rafael Lavoie and/or Brett Leason & passed on both even though they were ranked by almost everyone higher than Pinto or Sogaard.

Also you have indicated two guys who just happen to play RW which is a position of weakness in this org IMO & both those guys would improve Ottawa's right side. I think they tried to address the RW when they acquired C. Brown from the leafs so we'll have to see how he works out. However, I'm quite sure there are plenty of guys with the grit we would like to see on this team in future drafts with all their picks, if they would just go ahead & draft them instead of these soft small boom or bust players all the time. Pinto has good size & could be moved to the right side & be a future RWer in Ottawa, but he could also be a few yrs away or bust as Gagne did. I wonder if Taylor Raddysh would be available in Tampa?

I am struggling to understand your argument. On the one hand you make the claim that the team isn't tough or gritty enough and that the type of prospects they have suggests they won't be a tough enough team moving forward. Then on the other hand you tend to advocate acquiring or drafting players that aren't necessarily known for being tough or gritty. Neither Lavoie or Leason are considered overly tough players. If anything they probably aren't as physical as they could be given their size. The same could probably be argued for Taylor Raddyish.

Are you suggesting that big and tough are the same thing? That all big players are tough and that there are no soft players who have size? Or that just because a player is taller or heavier than another that this absolutely implies they are tougher and grittier?

Even the Pinto and Sogaard vs Lavoie and Leason argument I don't quite get. The draft is still about asset management. I wanted the Sens to draft other players but Pinto and Sogaard aren't necessarily bad picks. Lavoie fell to 38 which implies that a number of teams saw some serious red flags. Brett Leason was drafted at 56 and he was a 3rd year eligible. Given Leason's age it is most likely he maxes out as a 2nd or 3rd liner. He could still be a very good player but it isn't like he was a surefire elite first liner. We took Kastelic later who is grittier and tougher than Leason. Kastelic could end up as a 2nd or 3rd liner as well. Leason has a much better chance of reaching that potential though.

Again, I would like the team to be tougher but it isn't all that hard to fix that. It is harder to acquire a first liner, top pairing d man or number 1 goalie than to get a gritty powerforward type.

Also how do you define small and soft? I just don't see that many players in the Sens system that are clearly small and clearly soft. I guess Brannstrom fits that definition and sure it would be ideal if he was bigger and tougher but there really aren't big tough d men that have the skill and skating of Brannstrom just laying around or available via trade. There are a lot of tradeoffs when it comes to getting players and sometimes it is worth the tradeoff of losing some grit and toughness in order to get some more skill.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Duclair, Anisimov, Boedker, Tierny, Ennis, Zaitsev, Chabot, DeMello, Wolanin, Balcers, Davidsson, Abramov, Veronneau, Brannstrom, White, Brown, Chlapik, Thomson, Alsing & others in the org are all softer than Ryan. And again I'm not a fan of Ryan either.

White isn't softer than Ryan. I am also not convinced that Duclair, Ennis, Chabot, Demelo, Wolanin, Davidsson, Abramov, Chlapik and Thomson are softer than Ryan either.

Reactions: stempniaksen

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
White isn't softer than Ryan. I am also not convinced that Duclair, Ennis, Chabot, Demelo, Wolanin, Davidsson, Abramov, Chlapik and Thomson are softer than Ryan either.
Well ... difference of opinion then. I've seen Ryan make some hard hits & drop the gloves, I've never seen any of these guys do that & don't expect any of them ever will.

But to be clear, I'm not arguing that Ryan wouldn't be better if he was in better shape or tried harder, that I certainly agree with. I used to say the same about Spezza all the time before most on here came to the same conclusion but he too put up pts. But when it comes to toughness, all of those guys with maybe the exception of White as you pointed out (remains to be seen) are fairly soft players IMO. And I would rather that most of them not be on the team. I prefer a tougher team, that hasn't changed in decades.

And no question that not all big players are created equal & some are soft like L. Brown but his skill set as a point producer gets him a pass until the production decreases. Bigger players don't get pushed around as much as smaller players, bigger players have the advantage of reach, size & weight to fight for loose pucks but again not all bigger players are tenacious enough. I don't mind a couple of smaller skilled players on the team, I just don't want a team of them, I liked Hoffman & I'm sure C. Brown will be a tenacious forchecker for this team. The only time this team instigated the physical play was when McGratton & Neil were both on this team & Ottawa was the team to be feared & that team just happened to go all the way to the cup finals IMO because they were not intimidated by any other team like they used to be against the Leafs. But hey, the game has changed, although the playoffs still look like there is a lot of hard hitting physical play. Do we have the players who can play playoff hockey? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I hope Ryan + can bring back a 1st at the deadline to a team in need. It would be late round, but this is a good draft year.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Callahan cap dump incoming?

Basically Callahan for Condon.

I assume that Callahan is insured because he makes 4.7M this season and is not expected to play again. If he is 80 percent insured, the Sens save a little over 2 million in real cash.

The Lightning trade 5.8M of LTIR cap for 1.375M of buried dead cap.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I still think we acquire Eriksson. We are set to run the cheapest roster in NHL history.

I'd be curious to find out if we're contending for least salary paid out by a team in a season in relation to the cap ceiling. (Post insurance of course).

Some of the Coyotes teams from the past few seasons must be pretty low because they've had Bolland, Hossa, Datsyuk, etc. I think once the season starts, we might end up having them beat.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Yes weaponizing cap space for the sake of the bank account. Something no fan likes.

Another example of this would be Lucic for Neal. That deal saves the Flames owner I think 7+ million in real dollars. It happened the same day the Flames announced a new arena deal. Doesn't help the team on ice, but arguably it gets the team new ice.

And now another example of weaponizing cap space for the sake of the bank account.

At least Dorion and Melynk have finally found something they're good at.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd be curious to find out if we're contending for least salary paid out by a team in a season in relation to the cap ceiling. (Post insurance of course).

Some of the Coyotes teams from the past few seasons must be pretty low because they've had Bolland, Hossa, Datsyuk, etc. I think once the season starts, we might end up having them beat.

Without getting any real assets, atleast Arizona got something back for this.

Reactions: derriko

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Without getting any real assets, atleast Arizona got something back for this.

ARZ was making their moves to weaponize their cap space to get assets.

We have been making our moves to weaponize cap space to save salary.

It's evident at this point that the teams are completely different in what motivates them to take this approach. I'm just curious if we're going to end up as the team during the cap era who has spent the lowest amount of real money in relation to the cap ceiling.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
It's one thing to not be able to spend to the cap.

The fact we keep making money saving moves WHILE ALREADY AT THE CAP FLOOR is ****ing infuriating.

Why? Who do you think Ottawa could acquire to make us a competitive team next year and what are you willing to pay to acquire these players? Do you think its a good idea to abandon the rebuild and try to buy a contender?

Personally, I love the idea that the Sens are saving as much money as possible while rebuilding. Why spend money that you don't have to and let's not forget the attendance is dwindling and there is a large contingency of people that refuse to attend games.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I just looked at Kovalchuk's contract, and it's INSANELY front-loaded.

Despite an annual cap hit of $6.25mil over the 3 year term, last year he got front ended a salary of $8.5 mil, and this year the bulk of his salary is in the form of a massive $5.3 mil signing bonus that has already been paid... His actual salary this season is only $700k. Next year's salary is only $4.25mil.

As of right now, Kovy's got less than $5mil in actual salary left to be paid out for two years of hockey. If it weren't for the NMC (which I seriously doubt he would ever waive to come here), his contract sounds like a wet dream for our current management group.

Damn.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
He is soft and lazy and sets a bad example as a veteran. He hasn't once showed up to camp in peak physical condition. For the amount of money he gets paid it us disrespectful to the organization and his teammates to not get in shape. If he is sticking with the Sens the best thing he could do is go train with Gary Roberts or hire some high end strength and conditioning coach and show up to camp this year in the best shape he possibly can get in.

I thought we could trade him for another bad contract but if that isn't the case I would be all for buying him out.

He’s got some of the smallest arms I’ve ever seen for someone at his body weight. As a professional athlete or at least someone who trains/should be training diligently. Not saying it’s the end all be all. He’s a hockey player after all. But my point is I’ve never really seen “fitness” as a priority. He doesn’t have the natural explosiveness of a guy like Kessel either to augment it.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If no one's does, Ottawa should offer shattenkirk a 1 year deal so he can prove himself then have Ottawa flip him at the tdl. Like 1 year 4m with 3m in the form of signing bonus (paid April 1st)

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
If no one's does, Ottawa should offer shattenkirk a 1 year deal so he can prove himself then have Ottawa flip him at the tdl. Like 1 year 4m with 3m in the form of signing bonus (paid April 1st)

I’m sure he’ll get that same 1x1 from the Bolts or Leafs... I know where I’d want to go to get another 5x5 next summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad