Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Calgary is almost as bad as Ottawa when it comes to "intagibles" over skill. Management was apparently PO'd about how soft the team had become in the last year and a bit. Lucic is also a great teammate while Neal has bounced around (at least partially) because of character concerns.

I see the logic of doing what they did, but making the move for one of the worst contracts in the league to shore up grit/leadership/intagibles is a bridge too far, imo.

This is a win for the Oilers even if they end up buying out Neal next summer. The fact they got a guy who has score 20+ goals and 40+ points (paced) every season he's been in the league, minus the last one, to play on their 2nd line for a slow, overpaid, face puncher is pretty astounding.

Reactions: derriko

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Either to Detroit for Zetterberg or Arizona for Hossa

I could actually see Ryan doing well in Arizona. Coupled with Kessel, he might reach his full potential.

There's no way a team would willingly help the Sens AND take Ryan at his full salary. Ryan is not worth near 7.5M. We would need to add a significant asset to make something like that happen.

And Ryan played with guys like Duchene, Kessel won't do much for him he is exactly what he's showing to be.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There are very few contracts I could see us being able to trade Ryan for.

Eriksson is the most obvious one. There is pressure for VAN to make a move since Eriksson and Green don't seem to be on the same page.

Eriksson is owed 9M on real cash, Ryan is owed 22.5M. That leaves a lot of room for both sides to do something. Even if OTT retains 18 percent (1.25M cap/1.35M salary) the Senators would still save almost 10M in real cash on the deal. It would be cap in/cap out for Vancouver.

Deduct 2M from those savings if we've already paid Ryan's 19-20 bonus.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
There are very few contracts I could see us being able to trade Ryan for.

Eriksson is the most obvious one. There is pressure for VAN to make a move since Eriksson and Green don't seem to be on the same page.

Eriksson is owed 9M on real cash, Ryan is owed 22.5M. That leaves a lot of room for both sides to do something. Even if OTT retains 18 percent (1.25M cap/1.35M salary) the Senators would still save almost 10M in real cash on the deal. It would be cap in/cap out for Vancouver.

Deduct 2M from those savings if we've already paid Ryan's 19-20 bonus.
I would imagine Vancouver would want a pretty good sweetener from Melnyk...if 3.0 is worth a 3rd... 10.0 worth Formenton?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
What about Frolik for Condon?

He apparently wants out of CGY. I assume nobody wants him straight up based on the fact that they haven't moved him yet.

It's salary in/salary out for Ottawa since both players make 3M.

CGY frees up around 2.25M in cap when Condon is buried and a replacement six figure roster player is called up in Frolik's spot.

We can probably get a 3rd for Frolik's at the deadline. The reason he would be more valuable at the deadline is that teams only would have to fit in his remaining cap hit. Right now, they'd have to fit in his entire cap hit.

Pros for Sens:
-Add veteran top 9 forward without adding salary
-Add more salary cap without adding salary (we don't need it to reach the floor, but it gives us a buffer)
-Get asset at the deadline (Condon will still be worthless)

Pros for Flames:
-Add over 2M in cap
-Resolve the Frolik drama (he apparently wants out)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Alternatively, Boedker for Frolik makes sense, but I think Flames would value cap space more than Boedker.

Yeah.

I think if they're trying to move Frolik, they don't want any cap back in return / want as little cap in return as possible. They're still in in a hard place cap-wise.

Boedker or Condon don't make a ton of sense on their end considering what they need.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Yeah.

I think if they're trying to move Frolik, they don't want any cap back in return / want as little cap in return as possible. They're still in in a hard place cap-wise.

Boedker or Condon don't make a ton of sense on their end considering what they need.

Condon makes sense because it frees up cap. I am going under the assumption that nobody wants Frolik at his full cap hit. Even if they traded Frolik half-retained, it would not free up as much cap space as acquiring Condon for Frolik and burying Condon.

They'd be trading for cap space, not really trading for Condon. Condon is just the conduit to get them that cap space.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
What about Frolik for Condon?

He apparently wants out of CGY. I assume nobody wants him straight up based on the fact that they haven't moved him yet.

It's salary in/salary out for Ottawa since both players make 3M.

CGY frees up around 2.25M in cap when Condon is buried and a replacement six figure roster player is called up in Frolik's spot.

We can probably get a 3rd for Frolik's at the deadline. The reason he would be more valuable at the deadline is that teams only would have to fit in his remaining cap hit. Right now, they'd have to fit in his entire cap hit.

Pros for Sens:
-Add veteran top 9 forward without adding salary
-Add more salary cap without adding salary (we don't need it to reach the floor, but it gives us a buffer)
-Get asset at the deadline (Condon will still be worthless)

Pros for Flames:
-Add over 2M in cap
-Resolve the Frolik drama (he apparently wants out)

Love this idea, we need to move him badly or were not gonna get Gustafsson enough starts in the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad