Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Maybe the stumbling block is Ryan. At this point in his career, I doubt he wants to be in the spotlight. He can barely handle the criticism he gets in Ottawa.

Good point about Ryan having control over potential destinations. Although Edmonton is closer to Montana, than Ottawa.

MikeC62

Aug 31, 2018
[Mod edit to add context: The original thread was moved here and the name of the player was in the title The proposal from the OP is about Gusev.]

I dont know if this has been proposed elsewhere, but I see no reason that the Sens are not going after this player. Vegas has no room to sign him, and has made it clear that he is available for a second rounder and one other pick. Ottawa has picks galore, for Dzingel alone they got two second rounders, surely that would be enough to land him. We have plenty of cap room for him, in fact, the Sens are still under the floor so unless they intend to overpay on some useless retread, the money HAS to be spent (suck it up, McPauper, rules are rules) and getting a guy who is a proven international scorer and a former first rounder for two seconds (which are almost guaranteed to bring in nothing) seems like a no brainer. And its not like Gusev is going to become the second coming of McDavid and move the team way up in the standings to screw up our potential #1 overall this year, he's just a nice young piece who can be a part of what the team is building. Unless it is the intention of McPauper and King Dorion to never actually add talented pieces to this team.

Last edited by a moderator:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I think they already hit the floor. They said that’s all they were offered so far, not all that they wanted no?
Never played in the NHL 27 years old and wants 4 million a year? Sounds foolish

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The Senators are over the cap floor, and will be comfortably above it when Colin White signs. So they don't have to do anything.

One of the main problems with trading for Gusev is this - how do the Senators add him to the team while simultaneously cutting short-term payroll? Every trade the team has made recently has been to slash payroll.

I came up with an idea of how it could work a few days ago, and posted it in the rumours thread...

Vegas signs Gusev to a 2 year contract worth 8.25M total. The catch is that they immediately pay him a bonus worth 4.75M and his base salary would be 750k. In the 20/21 season he'd be owed 2.75M straight salary. Nice and legal, definitely no circumvention going on here, Mr. Bettman.

Then Vegas trades us Nikita Gusev and David Clarkson for Dylan DeMelo, Filip Chlapik and a 2nd round pick.

That's just a hypothetical, and it's probably not enough going to Vegas to compensate for them eating 5M up front. This is all assuming the Senators are even interested in Gusev, which we have no way of actually knowing.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Why are we even talking about trying to added late 20’s potential skill guys, when we don’t actually want to improve much next year because we want to add a much more skilled teenager or 5 who will grow with our core.

We want character vets who can hold down the fort, take the heat, hold down roster positions while kids develop, and school the rookies and sophomores. We don’t want veteran skill players looking to compete, we don’t want the team to be much better next year, at all.

It’s a development year for the kids, and the idea will be to create a system and identity that the team will grow into over the next few years, adding high draft pick skill along the way.

I’ll say it again, we should not be in on Gusev, or anyone else that will change the dynamic of what this team needs to do for the next few seasons. The only way I want to see us get better is because our core of kids are starting to put it all together, no shortcuts.

Patience is key here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gusev would have been a good way to reach the floor befor the Smith trade and Ennis signing, if he busted no worries and if he was good we could either keep him or trade him for more than we gave up to get him.

Not sure now though, assuming we don't want to spend more than we have too the risk of pissing away 4 mil and the assets to get him is too great.

I doubt he would be the difference between us getting a great pick or not, so the don't pickup a potentially high end player and just be patient argument doesn't fly imo. If he is so good that he screws over our pick then we landed a star player by aquiring him. He just turned 27 so he can absolutely be part of a rebuild if he works out.

Whoever gets him will probably end up laughing at the people who were so hesitant to take the risk

Reactions: derriko

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
We're at the cap floor?

We're TECHNICALLY at the floor (cap floor is $60.2mil, we're currently at $60.86mil), but in order to remain compliant as our roster currently stands, we would have to keep all three goalies on the NHL roster all season, which seems like a stretch.

We still have to sign Colin White though. Depending on that contract, it might change things.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
We're TECHNICALLY at the floor (cap floor is $60.2mil, we're currently at $60.86mil), but in order to remain compliant as our roster currently stands, we would have to keep all three goalies on the NHL roster all season, which seems like a stretch.

We still have to sign Colin White though. Depending on that contract, it might change things.

Minor point, but that capfriendly number only accounts for 10 forwards. The Sens typically roll with 13F's so even after adding White's contract you need to account for another ~$1.5 million (2 of Batherson/Brown/Balcers/Paul/Davidsson/ect).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Minor point, but that capfriendly number only accounts for 10 forwards. The Sens typically roll with 13F's so even after adding White's contract you need to account for another ~$1.5 million (2 of Batherson/Brown/Balcers/Paul/Davidsson/ect).

Hmm, yeah, that's true.

If we subtract ~1.5 when we send Condon to the minors (since $1mil will still count towards the cap regardless), and replace that with two forwards at about $750k per year, and add the White contract... then we BARELY are reaching the cap floor, but we are reaching it.

We're going to spend EASILY the least amount of actual $ in the league this year though, lol.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Yup
We are the lowest spending team of the entire league on forwards AND on the defense
Thank god for crappy goalies contracts lol

Reactions: NB613

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
We're going to spend EASILY the least amount of actual $ in the league this year though, lol.

Assuming we stay near the ~$50 million mark the only team that will be withing ~15 million of us will be the Devils, and even then, they still need to bring up 3/4 more players to fill out the roster.

One of these days I'm gonna do a little side research to figure out just how unprecedented it is to be spending THAT much less than the rest of the league.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There has to be something else coming. They still have a goalie to deal with unless Condon is getting LTIR'd.

Condon is probably not insured.

I'm not entirely sure how insurance works, and if teams can change who is insured year to year, but not every player on a team is insured. Given that Condon was not anywhere near our highest paid player when he was extended, unless teams can change insurance year to year (he's one of our highest paid players now lol), he's probably not insured.

Meaning, you're probably right that we have some sort of deal coming up, or at least we had a reason to believe in late June that we could eventually swing a deal with Condon in it. The rumors went from "Condon will be bought out" to that he'll be expected to show up at training camp pretty quickly. We also know that there are some bonuses that aren't paid until later in July. So it's plausible that he was included in a deal.

I guess the other possibility would be that ownership wasn't okay with a buyout, but that doesn't make much sense. We've bought out players recently. Burrows is one example. A buyout also would have saved 1 million for a player who has no spot in our organization.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yes, but that ship has sailed since the buyout window has closed.
Right, and I guess we can't go outside that since we don't have guys going to arbitration. Too bad. Don't get why we didn't just eat it.

Anyways Trouba got 8M AAV on a 7 year contract. Chabot's price just went up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad