Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
if ceci traded,......

we need veteran rhd.. options : lovejoy- mcquaid- girardi-stralman..

veteran forwards : zuca or no one :d...

options free agents : linberg but it think hi walks away ....... donskoi - sheahen - nelson :(- other options i dont like :d

and finally best free agent matt duchene :D maybe back ..

The Senators owner and GM are NOT trying to make the team better; they are trying to make it a low budget team by trading away their high priced skilled vets. The team will not be signing expensive UFAs. The words coming out of their mouths are ludicrous and the promise of FYOUS and “vastly improved” is simply PR to try to bolster ticket sales.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
My assessment reading these boards has been that a lot of posters have not thought it was likely that Duchene would stay in CBJ.

Does CBJ sweeping TBL and officially starting what could be classified as a bit of a run change that opinion for those who think be is not going to stay?

If they lose Panarin+Bob and keep Dzingel+Duchene, they'll have the cap to go after further UFA additions.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
My assessment reading these boards has been that a lot of posters have not thought it was likely that Duchene would stay in CBJ.

Does CBJ sweeping TBL and officially starting what could be classified as a bit of a run change that opinion for those who think be is not going to stay?

If they lose Panarin+Bob and keep Dzingel+Duchene, they'll have the cap to go after further UFA additions.

It obviously doesn't hurt. I still think he gets to market to at least listen to pitches, but I like the BJ's odds today more than a week ago.

Reactions: derriko

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
It obviously doesn't hurt. I still think he gets to market to at least listen to pitches, but I like the BJ's odds today more than a week ago.

I think he will go to the market in a sense that he will still be unsigned last week of June when he can talk to other teams, but it'll just be a leverage play to extort the best dollar value from CBJ.

He has said winning and being a fit for his family is important, and if both of those are there in CBJ, I don't think that'll stop his representation from trying to use the leverage of Panarin and Bob leaving to squeeze out the best deal possible.

The 8th year is huge since Duchene will be pretty old by hockey standards when he hits that year. No guarantees he recoups the 8th year if he takes a 7 year deal elsewhere. CBJ can offer him 9*8 and another team will have to offer him 10.25*7 to match the overall guaranteed money. I see that as a major turning point.

Although, I wouldn't put it past a team to offer something stupid like 11 x 7. Centers like Duchene never hit the market. Tavares and Stamkos are the only two, both better than Duchene, both were offered 12-13 million by certain teams.

Still, CBJ could beat that offer with something like 10*8 due to the advantage of having the 8th year.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think he will go to the market in a sense that he will still be unsigned last week of June when he can talk to other teams, but it'll just be a leverage play to extort the best dollar value from CBJ.

He has said winning and being a fit for his family is important, and if both of those are there in CBJ, I don't think that'll stop his representation from trying to use the leverage of Panarin and Bob leaving to squeeze out the best deal possible.

The 8th year is huge since Duchene will be pretty old by hockey standards when he hits that year. No guarantees he recoups the 8th year if he takes a 7 year deal elsewhere. CBJ can offer him 9*8 and another team will have to offer him 10.25*7 to match the overall guaranteed money. I see that as a major turning point.

Although, I wouldn't put it past a team to offer something stupid like 11 x 7. Centers like Duchene never hit the market. Tavares and Stamkos are the only two, both better than Duchene, both were offered 12-13 million by certain teams.

Still, CBJ could beat that offer with something like 10*8 due to the advantage of having the 8th year.

The 8th year is the clear advantage that Columbus has, and in theory they can probably match any offer out there (if Panarin and Bob walk as expected). It'll be interesting see if Jarmo doubles down on his deadline aquistitions and does "whatever it takes" to re-sign Duchene and Dzingle. I think the "true contenders" for Duchene are going to be surprisingly limited now that he can measure them up against a pretty high bar set by the BJ's.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
The 8th year is the clear advantage that Columbus has, and in theory they can probably match any offer out there (if Panarin and Bob walk as expected). It'll be interesting see if Jarmo doubles down on his deadline aquistitions and does "whatever it takes" to re-sign Duchene and Dzingle. I think the "true contenders" for Duchene are going to be surprisingly limited now that he can measure them up against a pretty high bar set by the BJ's.

The way I see it with Duchene, AAV to a certain point isn't the problem, it's term.

If you're CBJ, 8M vs 9.5M for Duchene, does that really make a difference in the long run? Either they believe he will be good enough for a majority of that deal or they believe be will decline.

Look at Ryan for example. Would it really change all that much if we had him at a 6.5M salary vs his 7.5M salary?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Why? You trying to win a cup or something?
The goal here is to save money. We are doing great.

If the life hadn't seemingly been drained from the fanbase, the above could be fun satire for the remaining fans who go to games, signs chastising other teams for "poor" spending, chants of "cost per point", graphics/signage of where the Sens sit in regards to league spending etc... and position it all as a point of misguided bragging.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Let it go already :shakehead

Given the fact that we are doing a rebuild, that last post proves we should have serious doubts about the management group ability to do it correctly. All those players are good assets in the right age range. We could have been a contender if the management just handled its assets better.

We probably should have kept the tandem of Bishop and Lehner. It was a mistake to ho with Anderson both times.

Reactions: Crosside

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Given the fact that we are doing a rebuild, that last post proves we should have serious doubts about the management group ability to do it correctly. All those players are good assets in the right age range. We could have been a contender if the management just handled its assets better.

We probably should have kept the tandem of Bishop and Lehner. It was a mistake to ho with Anderson both times.
Well, I'm not a huge fan of Anderson but he was clearly better than either of those two when they were here. They should have hung on to Bishop instead of Lehner which has turned out to be a huge mistake although now Lehner is finally playing like the goalie we thought he could be. Let's not also forget that Anderson was also responsible for that run that got Ott a goal away from the cup final.

While I think Anderson may be close to done, they do have a few options with him that are possible. Regarding management I doubt EM makes any changes until PD's contract expires or at the least at the end of next season once he gets through next season at the cap floor saving him some money. My guess is that he could stay at the cap floor for the next two seasons.

1. Re-sign Anderson to one yr contracts until one of the prospects can win the job away from him & have him as the backup & mentor to that goalie until one of the other prospects also wins the backup job.

2. Anderson will be a UFA next yr & it makes some sense to move him leading up to the deadline & get whatever assets in return is possible. They could then turn around & re-sign him over the summer if the team he was traded to does not re-sign him & he wants to return. If he can't get an NHL contract anywhere else he might make a pretty good mentor for a young goalie or they could trade for a backup like Nilsson again.

3. Since we have no idea how Hogberg will do in the NHL next yr as a backup, let alone as a starter, it would make more sense to have a legitimate NHL starting goalie around to mentor the young goalies & to help the backup become a starter in this league. It would also be good insurance in case Hogberg turns out to be lousy & Anderson would still be around to play in net & to help another prospect goalie advance. To move Anderson before the trade deadline makes no sense unless Hogberg becomes the starter next yr which remains to be seen if he can in his first NHL full season.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
They should have hung on to Bishop instead of Lehner which has turned out to be a huge mistake although now Lehner is finally playing like the goalie we thought he could be.

Look, I love the Lehner redemption story as much as the next guy, but let's not pretend like everything would have turned out rosy if he'd have stayed here.

Lehner had a lot of demons. He had a rough upbringing with a home life that was really wild. I know hockey lore likes to talk about how goalies are a special breed, but Lehner's issues were a whole other thing. Lehner is a fantastic story in overcoming mental illness and coming out the other side a new person, but this second lease on life he is enjoying probably was going to come at the expense of some team. It happened to be the Sabres, but it very well could have been us, too. Considering how toxic this org has been over the past 2 years, it might have even triggered his crisis even earlier.

I'm saying this as a guy who is loving Lehner's comeback story, and rooting hard for him in the platoffs this year - regardless of how great Lehner 2.0 looks today, moving on from him was absolutely the right decision, even with the benefit of hindsight.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Look, I love the Lehner redemption story as much as the next guy, but let's not pretend like everything would have turned out rosy if he'd have stayed here.

Lehner had a lot of demons. He had a rough upbringing with a home life that was really wild. I know hockey lore likes to talk about how goalies are a special breed, but Lehner's issues were a whole other thing. Lehner is a fantastic story in overcoming mental illness and coming out the other side a new person, but this second lease on life he is enjoying probably was going to come at the expense of some team. It happened to be the Sabres, but it very well could have been us, too. Considering how toxic this org has been over the past 2 years, it might have even triggered his crisis even earlier.

I'm saying this as a guy who is loving Lehner's comeback story, and rooting hard for him in the platoffs this year - regardless of how great Lehner 2.0 looks today, moving on from him was absolutely the right decision, even with the benefit of hindsight.
Sorry, I didn't mean that Ott should have kept Lehner if that is what you interpreted from my post. He was terrible & deserved to be traded but at the time when they were deciding between keeping Bishop or Lehner IMO & in hindsight they should have kept Bishop. I understand the argument at the time but Bishop rebounded much quicker after the trade than Lehner has for obvious reasons, I wish him well.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sorry, I didn't mean that Ott should have kept Lehner if that is what you interpreted from my post. He was terrible & deserved to be traded but at the time when they were deciding between keeping Bishop or Lehner IMO & in hindsight they should have kept Bishop. I understand the argument at the time but Bishop rebounded much quicker after the trade than Lehner has for obvious reasons, I wish him well.

Yeah, Andy/Bishop was the way to go for sure.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Sens moved on from Lehner at what would have been the peak of his value for them. They also identified an opportunity to take advantage of someone who badly wanted him in Tim Murray.

Lehner is one of the few really positive Sens trades as they moved on from a guy at the right time and also got fantastic value.

By the time he worked himself out, he would have been gone from the Sens.

It will be interesting to see what happens with him as a UFA. There will be no show me deal, this is his show me deal. Someone is going to bite and give him a 5-7 year deal at 5-7 million. It reminds me a bit of the Dubnyk situation in Minnesota. Dubnyk was a former blue chip goalie who bounced around a lot and then played like a Vezina calibre goalie over 1 season in MIN. They had no choice since he was a UFA, pay him like a starter or let him walk. He got what would be the equivalent to Lehner getting 5M x 6 years.

Reactions: derriko

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well, I'm not a huge fan of Anderson but he was clearly better than either of those two when they were here. They should have hung on to Bishop instead of Lehner which has turned out to be a huge mistake although now Lehner is finally playing like the goalie we thought he could be. Let's not also forget that Anderson was also responsible for that run that got Ott a goal away from the cup final.

While I think Anderson may be close to done, they do have a few options with him that are possible. Regarding management I doubt EM makes any changes until PD's contract expires or at the least at the end of next season once he gets through next season at the cap floor saving him some money. My guess is that he could stay at the cap floor for the next two seasons.

1. Re-sign Anderson to one yr contracts until one of the prospects can win the job away from him & have him as the backup & mentor to that goalie until one of the other prospects also wins the backup job.

2. Anderson will be a UFA next yr & it makes some sense to move him leading up to the deadline & get whatever assets in return is possible. They could then turn around & re-sign him over the summer if the team he was traded to does not re-sign him & he wants to return. If he can't get an NHL contract anywhere else he might make a pretty good mentor for a young goalie or they could trade for a backup like Nilsson again.

3. Since we have no idea how Hogberg will do in the NHL next yr as a backup, let alone as a starter, it would make more sense to have a legitimate NHL starting goalie around to mentor the young goalies & to help the backup become a starter in this league. It would also be good insurance in case Hogberg turns out to be lousy & Anderson would still be around to play in net & to help another prospect goalie advance. To move Anderson before the trade deadline makes no sense unless Hogberg becomes the starter next yr which remains to be seen if he can in his first NHL full season.

Your comment sounds like you are trying to get the Senators some wins; whereas I hope to have the Senators tank to get a top 5 pick for the next 3 years. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad