Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposal Thread: Who Wouldn't Want Ham On it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Flu? This guy's a cancer. We need to ship him out of here fast. Who cares what we get for him.

Good grief. Enough of the cancer ********. Hall's a cancer. RNH's a cancer. Who's next? I'm not against trading RNH, but unless you have actual evidence/proof of a player being a cancer, then cut that ******** out. :shakehead

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Good point... Ok, so if we are trading RNH or Eberle for a potential top pairing DMan, what kind of DMan are we foing to get?? Comes down to the fact that these players are fantastically underachieving or flawed, so what GM in their right mind is going to give up a top high value asset for them? I bet theyve been offered up and there isnt much offered in return.... Just damaged goods right now. Nobodys giving up a talented DMan like this team so badly needs for either of these guys with their contracts.

Go big or go home - RNH and 2015 1st to Nashville for Josi and 2nd

Yeah guys lets trade RNH and McDavid for Josi an.d a 2nd, god damn some people go overboard. Even if you meant to put it as a 2016 1st rounder this trade is still absolutely ********. I didn't realize Josi was Karlsson/Doughty/Keith.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Flu? This guy's a cancer. We need to ship him out of here fast. Who cares what we get for him.

If you think that he's healthy right now and that the RNH of late is the RNH that we'd continue to see the rest of his career then give your head a shake. He was arguably our best player from start to finish last season, Nuge is not 100% it should be painfully obvious to anyone that knows his game.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
First and foremost, overall, Klefbom has exceeded my expectations. He is looking damn good right now. Had a rough stretch that had me worried but is back on track.

Agree that he is developing nicely.

But.

Assuming he is going to be a legit #1 is very premature. While certainly possible I don't see the tool set to think that is likely.

His skating, offense, defense, physicality, and damn near everything falls in the good not great category. Nothing is elite.

1st off it's not an assumption that he can be a #1 d-man, just a statement that if he improves to the extent he has in each of the previous seasons he will be a number 1 d-man. I don't think most people on here have actually noticed how much more he has taken on his plate this season compared to last season or watched the number of AHL games that I did to see how much he actually elevated his game in the AHL from his 1st season to his short 2nd season stint, it was a complete night and day difference. What would it take for Klefbom to be a number 1 d-man IMO he needs to improve his Fenwick percentage by roughly 4.6% to 55% (no small feat) while still getting tough match-ups and tough defensive zone starts and get about 40 points a year (presently on pace for 36 points) and play about 24 mins a night (2 more mins than he is averaging now), those are elite numbers, not to say he'd be up their with the usual Norris nominees like your Weber's and Doughty's of the world, but for all intensive purposes that very much fits the profile of a number 1 d-man.

I think too many people look at Weber's big shot, or the mobility and skill of a Doughty or Subban, really all you need to be a #1 d-man is elite level hockey sense, a really good active stick and enough mobility to not get beaten wide, and the capacity to consistently make a good first pass. What about Ryan Suter's game is elite? He's nowhere near as skilled or athletically gifted as Doughty or physically intimidating as a Weber, but hockey sense and a good stick carry him a long way. I look at someone like Anton Stralman who is a high end number 2 defenseman IMO and I don't see any discernible advantage he has over Klefbom other than experience and greater level of consistency, there is no reason Klefbom can't fill that middle ground between a Victor Hedman and an Anton Stralman.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
If you think that he's healthy right now and that the RNH of late is the RNH that we'd continue to see the rest of his career then give your head a shake. He was arguably our best player from start to finish last season, Nuge is not 100% it should be painfully obvious to anyone that knows his game.

Or maybe he's just playing badly? He's definitely not performing to his ability but I see no reason to excuse his play without some evidence.

For the record, I don't want him traded and I expect him to snap out of this funk.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I said the same thing about Hall last year, that he was clearly still injured despite coming back early and didn't have many people buying it, then fast forward a little bit to the World Championship and this season and he's all dominant again and everyone is back in love with him.

RNH though I don't really detect an injury cause he is still moving like he normally does (whereas Hall's skating stride seemed off), the only thing I notice is he seems a bit weaker and more timid about engaging in physical contact than he was last year. Maybe his conditioning suffered due to his flu, but I'd think he has shaken the flu off by now given the kind of medical attention he has access to. RNH has really played a lot of good hockey for us and sometimes players are just a bit off for a 1/4 or 1/2 a season and just turn it on later, seen it a million times, we're definitely not getting the best RNH at the moment, but it will surely rise back to the surface in time. These snap judgements on small sample sizes make me question the intellect of posters who are all RNH and Ebs can GTFO for pretty much anything we can scrounge up in return, bounce backs from players with their kind of track records is extremely likely.

Being called out in the media is something I think people are reading too much into, I don't think either is on the block at the moment this is just the putting two players on notice that more is expected of them, based on how they respond will likely determine whether or not they are really put on the block. It wasn't long ago that everyone was convinced Fayne was 100% done here and Gryba's strong play totally made him expendable fast forward a little and Fayne's played 11 straight games after being benched for 3 games and Gryba has been healthy scratched in 4 of the last 7 games. Our coaching and management group are pushing buttons and looking at how players respond, I don't sense that either Eberle or RNH are in any immediate danger of being traded, but that can change based on their play.

Two side notes does anyone think RNH would be called out at all if he was stapled to Hall's side, cause I don't, if RNH and Drai switched places RNH would have put up enough points to be beyond reproach. Second thing despite all the talk of Eberle being soft and a perimeter player, Eberle is able to consistently generate more offensive chances in the high danger zone areas when he is on the ice above that of the normal rank and file, while he isn't busting his hump like Hendricks, players as smart as Eberle often don't have to do so, to be effective.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I thought RNH was pretty good at the beginning of the year, he put up decent numbers. He has been very shy on the power play after his rookie season which is a bummer, so maybe he could work on that. But I think in general his 5v5 play will probably improve on its own. I think there is an issue with RNH-Eberle in general getting the job done as a unit. They both need to pick it up and they will make each other look better when they are playing harder. It would be nice if we had a motivated, hard-working left wing for that unit that could play with them on a skill level as well... Where is our spark plug? Hard to believe we don't seem to have one.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
So...back to trading Hall.

If he ends up being our only valuable asset for a top 4 defender.....

Do you

A) trade him for the defender
B) wait until next year

?

None of the above.

Hall is this team's MVP. Trading him for a top 4 defender who is anything less than a Norris-trophy calibre player makes the team much worse.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
None of the above.

Hall is this team's MVP. Trading him for a top 4 defender who is anything less than a Norris-trophy calibre player makes the team much worse.
I assume he must have meant one of the top 4 dmen in the league. Otherwise, why would any team move Taylor Hall for a 2nd pairing dman? That doesn't make any sense.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Believe me I don't like that we have to trade Eberle and Nuge. I've always loved both players in the past, but it is so incredibly clear that this group of players just isn't working.

Our Defense still isn't great, but it is the best it has been in years and we are still a last place team.

Every time I watch a game, I can't understand why the other teams (even the bad ones) have no problem carrying the puck in, but we only have one line (Hall, Draisaitl) that can do it and keep consistent pressure.

We have the chance to build a truly dominant western conference style team, if we can just get full value for those two players.

I will say there has to be patience. It won't happen until summer, so unfortunately for now, enjoy the Matthews ride.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Believe me I don't like that we have to trade Eberle and Nuge. I've always loved both players in the past, but it is so incredibly clear that this group of players just isn't working.

Our Defense still isn't great, but it is the best it has been in years and we are still a last place team.

The defense has marginally improved and the bottom six has got much much worse.

We have the chance to build a truly dominant western conference style team, if we can just get full value for those two players.

We won't, that's the issue.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I said the same thing about Hall last year, that he was clearly still injured despite coming back early and didn't have many people buying it, then fast forward a little bit to the World Championship and this season and he's all dominant again and everyone is back in love with him.

RNH though I don't really detect an injury cause he is still moving like he normally does (whereas Hall's skating stride seemed off), the only thing I notice is he seems a bit weaker and more timid about engaging in physical contact than he was last year. Maybe his conditioning suffered due to his flu, but I'd think he has shaken the flu off by now given the kind of medical attention he has access to. RNH has really played a lot of good hockey for us and sometimes players are just a bit off for a 1/4 or 1/2 a season and just turn it on later, seen it a million times, we're definitely not getting the best RNH at the moment, but it will surely rise back to the surface in time. These snap judgements on small sample sizes make me question the intellect of posters who are all RNH and Ebs can GTFO for pretty much anything we can scrounge up in return, bounce backs from players with their kind of track records is extremely likely.

Being called out in the media is something I think people are reading too much into, I don't think either is on the block at the moment this is just the putting two players on notice that more is expected of them, based on how they respond will likely determine whether or not they are really put on the block. It wasn't long ago that everyone was convinced Fayne was 100% done here and Gryba's strong play totally made him expendable fast forward a little and Fayne's played 11 straight games after being benched for 3 games and Gryba has been healthy scratched in 4 of the last 7 games. Our coaching and management group are pushing buttons and looking at how players respond, I don't sense that either Eberle or RNH are in any immediate danger of being traded, but that can change based on their play.

Two side notes does anyone think RNH would be called out at all if he was stapled to Hall's side, cause I don't, if RNH and Drai switched places RNH would have put up enough points to be beyond reproach. Second thing despite all the talk of Eberle being soft and a perimeter player, Eberle is able to consistently generate more offensive chances in the high danger zone areas when he is on the ice above that of the normal rank and file, while he isn't busting his hump like Hendricks, players as smart as Eberle often don't have to do so, to be effective.

good points. But still doesn't make me believe in this core. Just not good enough. Last freaking place is last freaking place. We can't downplay how terrible that is just because we are used to it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm not trading Nuge until AT LEAST the end of the season, if at all

he's had a bad stretch but I still think he's going to pick it up...he's too good not to
plus we need to see if Draisaitl can handle #1/2 centre duties all year long

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Here is the issue we will see here.

RNH and Eberle will be traded at the end of the season after they have likely picked up their game and become fan favourites again.

It is necessary to make that move at that time simply due to high value, but most people here won't like it.

We will see a lot of "If you take Nuge's 25 points in his last 31 games, that is on pace for a 66 point season!!"

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm not trading Nuge until AT LEAST the end of the season, if at all

he's had a bad stretch but I still think he's going to pick it up...he's too good not to
plus we need to see if Draisaitl can handle #1/2 centre duties all year long
i agree in principle but if there is a unique opportunity then we might have to compromise. For instance Nashville is losing games now and might be desperate to finally get that 1C they have been missing. They might put up a guy like Weber or Josi, and that deal might not be available anymore in the offseason

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I guess we don't know what goes on in the locker room, but it seems to me that Hall, RNH, Eberle, and maybe to a lesser extent Pouliot, Yakupov, Schultz have all been fostered in this losing environment and are now incapable of leading the team. I understand the defense and respect for Hall - he's a phenomenal player. However, I just don't see him being the composed, trustworthy, confident leader that this team so desperately needs. He elevates his own play when the game is on the line, but he fails to entice the rest of his team to do the same. That, to me, is a fundamental concern.

It doesn't mean I'm in the "Pro-trade-Hall" group, but I'm certainly also not in the "Hall is an untradeable asset. He's our best player" crew either. If the price is right for Hall (i.e. a top-2 D) then you pull the trigger. If a guy like Ekblad, Faulk, Josi, Pietrangelo, OEL, Hedman becomes available, then you trade Hall without question imo.

I also think it's time to part ways with RNH and Eberle. I think most of us are coming to that realization. However, I think my opinion differs from most in that the RNH trade needs to be a lateral move - we need a top 6 center coming back in return. We simply cannot roll with Draisaitl, McDavid, Lander, Letestu as our top 4C. If you can get a Couturier, Backes, Dubinsky, Couture, Koivu, Bergeron/Krejci type player in return, I think you pull the trigger (obviously some of those guys hold significantly less value than RNH, but you get the point).

Eberle should be moved for a #3/4 defenseman. Unfortunately, unless we package him with Schultz and an unprotected 2016 1st at the TDL, I don't think we're going to do much better than that.

I say hold onto Yakupov. He shows a ton of heart when things are going right for him, and his chemistry with McDavid was just too good to ignore. Get through these dark days until McDavid gets back and then make the decision on him.

To me, our roster should be:

Pouliot - McDavid - Yakupov
XXX - RNH Trade - XXX
XXX - Draisaitl - Lander
XXX - XXX - XXX

Klefbom - Hall Trade
Nurse - Sekera
Reinhart - Eberle Trade
Fayne/Gryba

#1 Goalie from heaven
Nilsson

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Here is the issue we will see here.

RNH and Eberle will be traded at the end of the season after they have likely picked up their game and become fan favourites again.

It is necessary to make that move at that time simply due to high value, but most people here won't like it.

We will see a lot of "If you take Nuge's 25 points in his last 31 games, that is on pace for a 66 point season!!"

And people will be upset when we dont get a top pairing d-man for either but picks, prospects and some depth players. Maybe a 2nd pair d-man, maybe some gritty wingers.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I guess we don't know what goes on in the locker room, but it seems to me that Hall, RNH, Eberle, and maybe to a lesser extent Pouliot, Yakupov, Schultz have all been fostered in this losing environment and are now incapable of leading the team. I understand the defense and respect for Hall - he's a phenomenal player. However, I just don't see him being the composed, trustworthy, confident leader that this team so desperately needs. He elevates his own play when the game is on the line, but he fails to entice the rest of his team to do the same. That, to me, is a fundamental concern.

It doesn't mean I'm in the "Pro-trade-Hall" group, but I'm certainly also not in the "Hall is an untradeable asset. He's our best player" crew either. If the price is right for Hall (i.e. a top-2 D) then you pull the trigger. If a guy like Ekblad, Faulk, Josi, Pietrangelo, OEL, Hedman becomes available, then you trade Hall without question imo.

I also think it's time to part ways with RNH and Eberle. I think most of us are coming to that realization. However, I think my opinion differs from most in that the RNH trade needs to be a lateral move - we need a top 6 center coming back in return. We simply cannot roll with Draisaitl, McDavid, Lander, Letestu as our top 4C. If you can get a Couturier, Backes, Dubinsky, Couture, Koivu, Bergeron/Krejci type player in return, I think you pull the trigger (obviously some of those guys hold significantly less value than RNH, but you get the point).

Eberle should be moved for a #3/4 defenseman. Unfortunately, unless we package him with Schultz and an unprotected 2016 1st at the TDL, I don't think we're going to do much better than that.

I say hold onto Yakupov. He shows a ton of heart when things are going right for him, and his chemistry with McDavid was just too good to ignore. Get through these dark days until McDavid gets back and then make the decision on him.

To me, our roster should be:

Pouliot - McDavid - Yakupov
XXX - RNH Trade - XXX
XXX - Draisaitl - Lander
XXX - XXX - XXX

Klefbom - Hall Trade
Nurse - Sekera
Reinhart - Eberle Trade
Fayne/Gryba

#1 Goalie from heaven
Nilsson

I agree that they need new environments, but not Hall. He is still pushing hard, and I bet he would take it up another notch if we built a better team around him. Guy wants to win bad

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Before Christmas:Eberle + Nugent Hoptkins

to Nasville for:Seth Jones+Jusse Saros(G 2.33,9.23%)+Tylors Aronson(D,16gp AHL 9pts)+1e 2016 and maybe ask for Calle Shankrok

Tylors Aronson could be change for Anthony Bitteto(d,6gp,3pts) or Trevor Murphy(d,16gp,8pts).

So Oilers would have a real number 1 or 2+ a great propsect goalie + a defense prospect and a 1e in 2016.

Nasville got a good 2e center and 1 or 2 forward.....

What do you think?

Worst trade prosposal evar. I'm serious. That LAST thing this team needs is more prospects.... yay... more losing.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site

This is what Chia has to be careful not to do!
Im not trading Eberle for a 3/4 dman. I'd rather keep him. He's scored 30 goals in a league doesn't have many 30 goal scorers. Put him with McDavid and he gets 40 goals. Then you can trade him for a #1 dman. This is our leading goal scorer last year. He's coming back from a shoulder injury, he's a month behind everyone else. Im not opposed to trading the guy, might even go as far as saying that one day you'll have to trade him, but not when his value is at the absolute lowest and not for a 3/4 dman.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I dont wanna speak for who you quoted, but I think hes saying that Hamonic is better than Klefbom right now and in the future.

Which btw I totally agree with. I do this deal yesterday actually.

The problem with this trade is that cost controlled young Dmen are immensely valuable in this league and the Oilers have Klefbom locked up at a reasonable rate for the next 7 years. At worst, it looks like he will be a decent 2nd pairing Dman who can put up 35-40 points a year, at best you have a 2 way #2 Dman locked up at $4M/yr for the next 7 years. It would be foolish to deal him now unless it was in a bigger package for a surefire #1.

It seems like Snow is dead set on getting a similar level Dman to replace Hamonic so I just don't see the Oilers as a fit. The Oilers simply can't afford to trade a good Dman unless a much better one is coming back. I like Hamonic but I don't see the Oilers and Islanders as good trade partners. If Snow decides that he'd rather have a top 6 scoring forward to replace the probably departed Okposo then we'd be in business but that doesn't appear to be the case unfortunately.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

One of a few tweets by Rishaug. Goes on to say the only keepers in this group are McDavid, Hall, Drai and Nurse. Now of course he has said this is his opinion, but this doesn't pass the smell test. Something is up.

Add in McLellan's comments, and then Nicholson stating how much RNH and Eberle have struggled this season, we're a Stauffer kiss of death ("Hypothetically, I'd trade Eberle/RNH for XYZ") from having a trade all but confirmed.

Interesting weeks ahead.

Do you have a link to this quote by any chance? I find that very interesting that Nicholson chimed in about the struggles of the team.
I generally stay away from Oilers media stuff when the team is pissing me off.

Edit: I see that Digger posted a TSN link. Unfortunately I can't view it in my region. Very interesting that Nicholson chimed in, I hope that certain players take notice that they aren't untouchable anymore and start playing harder on a more consistent basis.

Trade Eberle and the first round pick for Seth Jones+

Sign Buff for 7x7.

Profit.

There's no chance in hell that Nashville does that IMO. They would likely ask for RNH or Draisaitl, they need a #1 center badly.

And there's no chance in hell the Oilers should be giving Buff that contract. I feel for the poor team that will be tied down to that anchor 3-4 years into that deal.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If RNH goes to Nashville and becomes a #1C, that great. If Seth Jones comes here and becomes our #1RHD, that's even better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad