Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposal Thread: Who Wouldn't Want Ham On it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
To me, our roster should be:

Pouliot - McDavid - Yakupov
XXX - RNH Trade - XXX
XXX - Draisaitl - Lander
XXX - XXX - XXX

Klefbom - Hall Trade
Nurse - Sekera
Reinhart - Eberle Trade
Fayne/Gryba

#1 Goalie from heaven
Nilsson

Lets play this..

RNH + Schultz for Brodin + Coyle
Eberle+2017 1st for Hamonic or Byfuglien (For Buff 1st would be conditional)
Letestu+2nd for Wingels

Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-Draisaitl-Wingels
Hendricks-Coyle-Lander
xxx-xxx-xxx

Klefa-Brodin
Nurse-Sekera
Reinhart-Byfuglien
Davidson\Fayne

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
There's no chance in hell that Nashville does that IMO. They would likely ask for RNH or Draisaitl, they need a #1 center badly.

They get that in this deal: his name is Auston Matthews.

And there's no chance in hell the Oilers should be giving Buff that contract. I feel for the poor team that will be tied down to that anchor 3-4 years into that deal.

If the Oilers get four years of top pairing production out of the guy, it's worth it. He'll decline, but I doubt he falls off the face of the earth teh minute he turns 35.

You have a better ideas for veteran top pairing D that are available? Dare I remind you that you wanted the Oilers to go after Seabrook who ended up getting an even worse deal than the one I proposed for Buff?

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
And people will be upset when we dont get a top pairing d-man for either but picks, prospects and some depth players. Maybe a 2nd pair d-man, maybe some gritty wingers.

Then we don't move them.
Nobody is saying move them for anything we can get.
Not me anyway.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
RNH is a #1C now. Jones is not a #1D.

What I meant was a surfire #1C which RNH is not. He's a low end borderline #1C. More like a #2C. I can tell you if you swap the two, regardless what ranks they are, Jones will make more of an impact on the oilers right now

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They get that in this deal: his name is Auston Matthews.

If the Oilers get four years of top pairing production out of the guy, it's worth it. He'll decline, but I doubt he falls off the face of the earth teh minute he turns 35.

You have a better ideas for veteran top pairing D that are available? Dare I remind you that you wanted the Oilers to go after Seabrook who ended up getting an even worse deal than the one I proposed for Buff?

If the Oilers win the lottery, they aren't going to trade the #1 pick + Eberle for Seth Jones or at least they shouldn't. They should aim for a proven top Dman with that package. OEL perhaps? Jones is essentially Klefbom with more upside.

I don't see Buff being a highly effective player deep into his 30s considering style of play and conditioning. That's going to be a highly regrettable contract for whoever signs him, Phaneuf-esque. I'd be all over a 4yr $28M deal for him but for 7 years? Hell nah.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
What I meant was a surfire #1C which RNH is not. He's a low end borderline #1C. More like a #2C. I can tell you if you swap the two, regardless what ranks they are, Jones will make more of an impact on the oilers right now.

So you expect a 21 year old who has had the benefit of playing behind Shea Weber and Roman Josi to come into a new team and take on the #1 role no problem? On a team that also just lost its hard match up #1C? This is classic grass is greener syndrome.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
If the Oilers win the lottery, they aren't going to trade the #1 pick + Eberle for Seth Jones or at least they shouldn't. They should aim for a proven top Dman with that package. OEL perhaps? Jones is essentially Klefbom with more upside.

I was being facetious about Matthews, but the Predators would certainly have to think that a pick in the top 10 could help them up front. I agree OEL is certainly the better bet with that package, for sure. Not sure why AZ would part with him, though.

I don't see Buff being a highly effective player deep into his 30s considering style of play and conditioning.

Like I said, if we get four good years out of him, the rest is manageable.

That's going to be a highly regrettable contract for whoever signs him, Phaneuf-esque. I'd be all over a 4yr $28M deal for him but for 7 years? Hell nah.

I don't see how or why he'd sign for less than 6 years. If you're worried about the hit later, just front load the deal so that you're paying him less in the final three years which makes him easier to move.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So you expect a 21 year old who has had the benefit of playing behind Shea Weber and Roman Josi to come into a new team and take on the #1 role no problem? On a team that also just lost its hard match up #1C? This is classic grass is greener syndrome.

Josi? The guy people said they wouldn't trade Eberle for? How is that looking?

RNH is not taking the hard minutes. Hall and Drai are and they are still the only line providing offense.

If we acquire Jones, we will also try to bring in Hamonic. It allows the guys to play to their pedigree.

Sekera-Hamonic
Klef-Jones
Nurse-Davidson

Jones is a #5 in Nashville. He's a #4 here. That's what we need

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Not sure what this is a reference to.

RNH is not taking the hard minutes. Hall and Drai are and they are still the only line providing offense.

Nope.

If we acquire Jones, we will also try to bring in Hamonic. It allows the guys to play to their pedigree.

Sekera-Hamonic
Klef-Jones
Nurse-Davidson

If we had the pieces for Hamonic, he'd probably be an Oiler already.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Not sure what this is a reference to.

Nope.

All that shows is that Drai has more offense zone starts. That doesn't mean he isn't playing against top lines. Which he is.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

So you're saying if any teams had the pieces, he'd be traded by now? If Snow wants to trade him now. It's on him. If he wants to wait until Harmonic value diminish when it becomes a bigger problem. That's also on Snow.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
All that shows is that Drai has more offense zone starts. That doesn't mean he isn't playing against top lines. Which he is.

The QoC axis indicates that RNH has been seeing tougher comp, I can't find the exact matchups though. But let's say that you're absolutely right and Drai is taking on the toughest matchups right now: he's been doing it for all of a dozen games. Nuge has done it basically his whole career.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The QoC axis indicates that RNH has been seeing tougher comp, I can't find the exact matchups though. But let's say that you're absolutely right and Drai is taking on the toughest matchups right now: he's been doing it for all of a dozen games. Nuge has done it basically his whole career.
I'm his first 2 years...Horcoff took most of it.

Drai has been doing it for the last 10 games and has had positive shot metrics the entire time and a positive +/-

McDeathbyCheerios*

Ok sure. The broader point I'm trying to make is turning the top six centre position and all that it entails over to two teenagers is not a recipe for success in the short term. Depth: it's a good thing!
Depth is the a good thing. But if you can move RNH for a good d and find a great 3c, we will have depth.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
RNH is a #1C on this team, but around the league that is very debatable imo. I look at that trade as moving a #2C for a #3D who is stuck playing behind one of the top pairings in the league. And a #3D who has all the tools to become a #1.

We already have at least two players who fit that description on the roster. We need an established talent back there.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Sekera-Hamonic
Klef-Jones
Nurse-Davidson

Jones is a #5 in Nashville. He's a #4 here. That's what we need

how about we try to bring in Hamonic first if that is the plan.

Nurse is already more than a bottom pairing Dman so we may not even need Jones if Klef-Hamonic Nurse-Sekera can hold the fort.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Depth is the a good thing. But if you can move RNH for a good d and find a great 3c, we will have depth.

Great D, please. There are a ton of 'good' defencemen. 22 year old 1C's don't grow on trees and are not expendable for depth.

IMO the only way RNH should move is if doing so fixes our blueline for the next five years.

I already kind of pity the poor ******* defenceman we get. If he isn't the second coming of Pronger this fanbase will rip him to pieces - see Petry, Sekera, Visnovsky.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Great D, please. There are a ton of 'good' defencemen. 22 year old 1C's don't grow on trees and are not expendable for depth.

IMO the only way RNH should move is if doing so fixes our blueline for the next five years.

I already kind of pity the poor ******* defenceman we get. If he isn't the second coming of Pronger this fanbase will rip him to pieces - see Petry, Sekera, Visnovsky.
RNH moves by the end of next season guaranteed. No way Chia keeps a 6mill 3c which will lower his value long term.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'd still do schultz and korps for bonino and a 5th. I'd still do it all day, everyday.

Talbot and Purcell for a 2nd and 4th.

Eberle for lazar and a 1st

Draft chycrun.

Sign Stammer and Demers.

Stamkos-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-Draisaitl-Nugent Hopkins
Pouliot-Bonino-Lazar
Hendricks-Lander-Pakarinen
Letestu, Khaira

Klefbom-Demers
Nurse-Sekera
Reinhart-Chycrun
Davidson

Nilsson
Broissoit

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
We already have at least two players who fit that description on the roster. We need an established talent back there.

Teams don't trade the established talent on the back end unless it's for a stupid overpay. Jones is the closest thing you're going to get likely, and he's closing in on 200 NHL games so he's not exactly a rookie. Depth on the blue line is more important than depth down the middle, as shown by the Blackhawks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad