Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposal Thread: Who Wouldn't Want Ham On it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Continue here.

Last Thread found here.

Last few posts:

Enstrom is a 31 year old small offensive defenseman whose offense is not what it use to be. He also has three more years (including this one) at $5.750M. I am not sure how attractive that would be.

to me its obvious that Snow just wants to keep Hamonic on the Islanders for as long as he possibly can. He knows that Calgary and Edmonton will not be trading Brodie or Nurse for him, so that's who he asks for. Then he can turn around to Hamonic's camp and tell them that teams are being unreasonable.

It's also highly likely that Hamonic's side leaked this trade request after being quiet about it during the summer, likely because they're getting impatient and maybe question how hard Snow is really trying.

The longer this drags on the worse the Islanders look. From our perspective, we can have some respect for him sticking to his guns, but it would make free agents less likely to sign if the GM doesn't abide by a trade request for good reasons like what Hamonic did. When the RedWings gave Brad Stuart to the Sharks, Stuart was a good defenseman and the RedWings were hurting on D, but they made that trade anyway because there were issues with his daughter that meant he needed to be there. The Redwings didn't get full value back either. Players take notice of things like that. Granted, Hamonic is entering the prime of his career and he's on a sweet heart contract so it's a tougher pill for Snow to swallow than what Stuart was at the time for the Wings. Still though.

Yup. The way the Oilers are constructed is like an NBA team that has no one over 6'5". Doesn't matter how skilled you are if you have no one who can dominate in the paint. The majority of goals are scored now, especially 5 vs 5, just by getting the puck and bodies to the net and creating chaos. The Oilers forwards prefer to pass the puck into the net.

The only high end talent we have is Hall and Mcdavid. The rest are potentially high end talent. Yet even with all these skilled players we have no one to support them and do the dirty work. NYR's might be a collection of 40-50 point forwards but they play a gritty game, not s perimeter game like the Oilers. Watching RNH and Ebs cycle on the perimeter for a minute accomplishes almost nothing.

What would the Oilers have to add to Schultz and Reinhart to get Brent Burns?

Hamonic >> Lack

completely different market for a top-pairing young D-man on a great contract

That makes no sense. Winnipeg is deep on the rhd so moving their only good lhd for rhd is silly.

Hamonic will probably end up going to Winnipeg in a deal involving Enstrom. They want a dman back, Enstrom is rumored to be on the block. Winnipeg maybe throws in some extra and I'm sure Hamonic wants to go back to Manitoba the most

Just waiting for Dregers patented "Sources have the Leafs being the dark horse in the Hamonic race" any moment now...

Two words:

Jim Benning.

Well Francis wrote the piece on the flames getting asked for Brodie

of course Snow is asking a high price...he should start high to see if there's any suckers out there
it'll come down

That was my original prediction/guess from the start... and I don't even think there will be much of a plus.

It could also be proof that Dreger has no idea what he is talking about.

Asking for Nurse I can somewhat understand, but that he even had the gall to talk about TJ Brodie is proof positive that Snow is out to lunch on this.

If he continues to hang on for that kind of return he will be trading Hamonic for a couple of picks at the draft, but then again maybe that's his plan all along.

I have a feeling both Flames and Oilers fans will be disappointed when Snow trades him to Winnipeg for Enstrom +. :laugh:

You explained it to him pretty well. He just doesn't seem to understand.

Just threw that out there so we can end the spare parts plus for Hamonic, it's not going to happen.

Well we don't know if it will happen or not. It's a fluid situation. Demands, prices, and team situations change all the time.

If the Islanders want Nurse, it doesn't mean it's going to happen. Just like if the Oilers are offering Schultz and a pick, the Islanders don't have to take it. I'd say one is just as likely as the other.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
So John Shannon last night said WPG and MIN are the two most likely teams to land Hamonic.. I don't see how..

What does Minnesota have to offer? Brodin? They're not going to move him. Scandella is injured + MIN just signed him. Spurgeon is unsigned, so NYI likely wants no part of it. Dumba? Might work if NYI takes on Nicklas Backstrom (puke). Minnesota is already lacking offensively so nothing else to see there..

Winnipeg.. not going to move Trouba. Byfuglien's a UFA, and I'm sure Snow has a healthy memory from his Vanek deal. Myers might work, but I still fail to see why WPG would bother. It's a lateral move and if anything, WPG has leverage on NYI to get more. Enstrom is 31, your choice NYI.

Calgary can't make it work, nor do they need to. Vancouver would love to make it work but don't have the assets unless they're willing to parlay Tanev for him which I doubt.

So..

Backstrom + Dumba for Hamonic /+?
Myers for Hamonic if they're lucky
Enstrom for Hamonic if they're stupid

I may have the homer shades on, but to me, unless I'm valuing MIN and WPG's assets wrong, EDM should be more attractive if Eberle or Yakupov are in play. Elliot Friedman speculated a forward from EDM for Hamonic, then move Okposo for a defenseman. I think that would be the best possible deal for NYI unless EDM can get a third team involved.

oilz89*

Guys read Chris Nichols tweets about What Friedman said today and how other teams are saying that there's a possibility of a three-way trade. Rumours of it. About how there are some GMs out there that would freely admit privately that they wouldn't be as good to Hamonic as Snow is. That Snow is taking real pains to get this guy to somewhere close to where he wants to go.

I don't know how to get the tweets on here lol so just check those out. Sounds kinda like WPG or Edm to me

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
does anyone know anything about potential college free agents?

I wonder about Caggiula....who was one of the guys on the insane Nick Schmalts 5 man tic-tac-tic-tac-toe goal for North Dakota. Troy Stetcher, too....from the same team....who may be a ppg d by seasons end.

Where can you find out about college FA's?

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
Anyone have a link/any credible information on a potential 3 -way deal with NYI, CAR and the Oil?

oilz89*

Anyone have a link/any credible information on a potential 3 -way deal with NYI, CAR and the Oil?

Read my post above. That seems credible for a three way trade but not with carolina in it

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
Read my post above. That seems credible for a three way trade but not with carolina in it

Yeah I saw that tweet and your post. Just wondering if there was any credible link to Carolina.

I agree with you though.. in reading that, it seems Edmonton would be the most likely to be going down that road, since they don't have the pieces for a 1 for 1 deal for Hamonic.

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
FYI Lawton tweeted this yesterday:

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9 Nov 23
I believe highly unlikely that Travis Hamonic ends up @NHLJets had several good conversations with relevant parties. Don't see happening.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hamonic to Edm via Carolina is an Eklund rumour. There's no detail to it at all, except that it would involve Carolina getting Hamonic and then sending him to us. I don't see what the deal would be like, just looking at the rosters.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

I believe the source on throwing Carolina into the mix came from Eklund. So you may be waiting a while for anything credible on that front. Just speculating, but is there any way they would part with Faulk or Hanifin? I doubt it, but those seem like the only two players the Islanders would be interested in. Maybe if they got RNH and traded soon to be UFA Eric Staal for a few prospects on defense it would make sense.

To CAR: RNH

To NYI: Hanifin

To Edm: Hamonic plus middle 6 center to replace RNH.

Picks/prospects added. Makes more sense for Edmonton to wait until McDavid is back though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I believe the source on throwing Carolina into the mix came from Eklund. So you may be waiting a while for anything credible on that front. Just speculating, but is there any way they would part with Faulk or Hanifin? I doubt it, but those seem like the only two players the Islanders would be interested in. Maybe if they got RNH and traded soon to be UFA Eric Staal for a few prospects on defense it would make sense.

Picks/prospects added. Makes more sense for Edmonton to wait until McDavid is back though.
Ugh, I'd rather use Fayne in the role and keep RNH. Fayne is coming around lately. If we're trading RNH it should be for a #1 Dman, not a #2 shutdown minute muncher type. A guy like Josi or Jones or Weber from Nashville for instance.

oilz89*

I'm going off of what chris nichols reported that Friedman said

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
How about a 3-way trade?

Jordan Eberle (25) to Anaheim for Cam Fowler (23) and Patrick Maroon (27) (cap hits match).

followed by:

Cam Fowler to NY Islanders for Travis Hamonic (25).

The Oilers end up with Hamonic for 5 years at $3.847M/yr. and Maroon for 3 years at $2M/yr (slight cap decrease over Eberle).

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Friedman's 9th point in his 30 thoughts has some Easter eggs hidden in it.

I could see something like

EDM- Hamonic+ Minny picks or prospects
NYI- spurgeon or Dumba
Minny- Eberle

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I really doubt Carolina gives up Hanifin or Faulk so they don't make sense in any 3 way deal. Unless the Islanders cave and accept a deal based around Schultz, I don't see how we fit either, Eberle and especially RNH are overpays IMO. This is a strange situation, I'll be surprised if whatever deal materializes, people call it a fair deal.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
How about a 3-way trade?

Jordan Eberle (25) to Anaheim for Cam Fowler (23) and Patrick Maroon (27) (cap hits match).

followed by:

Cam Fowler to NY Islanders for Travis Hamonic (25).

The Oilers end up with Hamonic for 5 years at $3.847M/yr. and Maroon for 3 years at $2M/yr (slight cap decrease over Eberle).

I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather just have Fowler?

oilz89*

Friedman's 9th point in his 30 thoughts has some Easter eggs hidden in it.

I could see something like

EDM- Hamonic+ Minny picks or prospects
NYI- spurgeon or Dumba
Minny- Eberle

That's true why does Snow even want Nurse if he wants a defensemen like Nurse to play in Hamonics position when he isn't even as good as him yet. They could call up Mayfield or Pulock who are kinda in the same development phase as Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad