Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Hey Ken, If You're Not Getting a Goalie, How About Physicality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They're hard to get a read on because the GM sucks and didn't do his job in the summer leaving a glaring need in net. Even he admits the blame should be on him.

I would also pump my breaks on the Oilers having multiple Oilers coming from Bakerfield being better than even Perlini.

Everything suggests Benson would be but he's really not and this is a player with years of development.

The D is shaky with several inexperienced D and the goaltending is unreliable and mentally the team checks out when they don't get big saves. Those are bigger issues than Derek Ryan.
You keep bringing up Benson who had significant issues with footspeed from the get go. This season they've added Ryan McLeod and Evan Bouchard as full time options who've taken on fairly significant roles. They've also seen a significant step forward from Markus Niemelainen, who at one point was completely written off as a prospect.

You're isolating a single position blaming it for the poor performance of an entire hockey team. It just completely misses the point. The Oilers haven't competed against teams that have greater depth than them, run tighter defensive systems or quite simply shutdown their two offensive catalysts. That isn't a goalie issue. That's a depth issue and it's a coaching and execution issue.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Nothing more than a gut feeling. I think we will land our goalie, and it will be someone no one was expecting in the next week . Holland is long overdue for a home run. Let's hope my gut feeling is more than just gas

Reactions: yakcity1064

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Nothing more than a gut feeling. I think we will land our goalie, and it will be someone no one was expecting in the next week . Holland is long overdue for a home run. Let's hope my gut feeling is more than just gas

I hope not because that would mean a below-average-to-bad goalie. There's only a few good goalies that are on teams that won't make the playoffs and all of them are the ones we're talking about. And then there's even below average to bad goalies like Vejmelka and Korpisalo that are also being talked about.

The only good goalie that we haven't talked about from a non playoff team is Merzlikins.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You keep bringing up Benson who had significant issues with footspeed from the get go. This season they've added Ryan McLeod and Evan Bouchard as full time options who've taken on fairly significant roles. They've also seen a significant step forward from Markus Niemelainen, who at one point was completely written off as a prospect.

You're isolating a single position blaming it for the poor performance of an entire hockey team. It just completely misses the point. The Oilers haven't competed against teams that have greater depth than them, run tighter defensive systems or quite simply shutdown their two offensive catalysts. That isn't a goalie issue. That's a depth issue and it's a coaching and execution issue.

Which playoff teams have a goaltending tandem as bad as the Oilers have had this year?

Maybe Smith can go on a heater to bail Holland out but he should be fired in the off season for even letting it go this far.

Bouchard is good offensively but is very lacking defensively and that will probably require a few years of development. Young D and integrating them into the roster is a difficult process.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Which playoff teams have a goaltending tandem as bad as the Oilers have had this year?

Maybe Smith can go on a heater to bail Holland out but he should be fired in the off season for even letting it go this far.

Bouchard is good offensively but is very lacking defensively and that will probably require a few years of development. Young D and integrating them into the roster is a difficult process.
A quick look....we have....the 25th worst s% and only non playoff teams are below us

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Honestly if Hagel is getting that kind of return, we should just offer up Foegele on the market and then use those assets we get to help shore up everything else.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Honestly if Hagel is getting that kind of return, we should just offer up Foegele on the market and then use those assets we get to help shore up everything else.
Hagel is better than Foegele and is 2 years younger. Foegele would be worth a prospect + other asset. drop the first entirely.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The team that leads this division has a tandem currently running a 0.907 and a 0.905 respectively. And they're a significantly tighter team defensively than Edmonton is. Koskinen is at 0.900 despite the two month stretch where the team fell completely off of the rails. Skinner's at 0.908. Smith is at 0.901.

Young players don't need to be complete to be an upgrade. The team's bottom six has been near the bottom of the league in terms of impact for several seasons. It's not difficult to see our prospects being upgrades on the countless waiver fodder currently there.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Here is who I would target maybe:
Vanacek, could probably be had for a 2nd and a lower pick like a 4th/5th with a retained Kosky going the other way. Plus his agent is good ol’ Gerry Johnson.

Luke Schenn, punishing defensive dman who’s seen a renaissance in his career trajectory this season. The guy is 1st in hits/60 among dmen. I don’t know what I’d offer but it shouldn’t be much.

Trade Kassian for anything I really don’t care, Rangers love their tough guys. Maybe they’ll use him in LTIR to maximize their trade deadline cap.

Soucy and McCann, probably can be had for a top 5 protected or unprotected 1st, Lavoie, a decent d-prospect, Foegele for money, and another pick perhaps.

Bury or taxi squad Barrie idc

McCann-McDavid-Pulju
Kane-Drai-Yams
Hyman-Nuge-Holloway
Benson-McLeod-Ryan
Perlini

Nurse-Bouch
Soucy-Ceci
Keith-Schenn
Bro/Nemo

Vanacek
Smith

Reactions: Darkwinter

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Here is who I would target maybe:
Vanacek, could probably be had for a 2nd and a lower pick like a 4th/5th with a retained Kosky going the other way. Plus his agent is good ol’ Gerry Johnson.

Luke Schenn, punishing defensive dman who’s seen a renaissance in his career trajectory this season. The guy is 1st in hits/60 among dmen. I don’t know what I’d offer but it shouldn’t be much.

Trade Kassian for anything I really don’t care, Rangers love their tough guys.

Soucy and McCann, probably can be had for a top 5 protected or unprotected 1st, Lavoie, a decent d-prospect, Foegele for money, and another pick perhaps.

Bury or taxi squad Barrie idc

McCann-McDavid-Pulju
Kane-Drai-Yams
Hyman-Nuge-Holloway
Benson-McLeod-Ryan
Perlini

Nurse-Bouch
Soucy-Ceci
Keith-Schenn
Bro/Nemo

Vanacek
Smith
Vanecek is currently Washingtons best goalie. They aren't moving him for that little. If Washington was a rebuilding team sure, but a playoff team isnt taking back Koskinen, even retained for that little AND adding their best performing goalie too. Zeroooooooo chance.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
The Oilers are not getting better every year. In fact, they've regressed this season although a part of that could be them tuning out Tippett somewhat and more erratic goaltending of course.

Regardless, I don't see a path for them to go "all in" anyway. They're several pieces away from even competing for a division title never mind Cup contention and they have precious few assets to bring in those pieces so they have no choice but to rely on development to fill in the gaps.
Several pieces? Add a top 4 RHD in place of Barrie and a starting goalie and they can contend IMO

you’re also discounting the progression of our players. Bouchard, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, McLeod, Broberg, and Holloway should all be getting a lot better theoretically.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Spread the wealth in the top 9 and it’s fine. RNH and Hyman together on the third line makes it elite. This also isn’t even counting the addition of Holloway who should be able to make an impact in the bottom 6 in his own right.

Yeah hoping for a big improvement by spreading the top-6 into a top-9. Seems like a viable strategy

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Flames are up there with Vegas in West. the same would apply to us. They are 1 pt back of Knights with 3 games in hand, 7pts up on us and on a 6 game win streak. Burning the 1st is far from pointless especially when the player is not even a rental.

Yeah bad on my part. Pointless wasnt the right word. I still think it would of been smart to use assets on a center though.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Kinda apples and bananas though. Hagel's a 26 point $1.5 million cap hit with 2 more years of team control. Foegele's a 15 point, $2.75 million cap hit with 2 years remaining. The value threshold is gone with Foegele. You're betting/gambling on a pretty substantial reset on a guy with an NHL career best of 30 points (.44 scoring).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad