Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Hey Ken, If You're Not Getting a Goalie, How About Physicality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Came here to see the usual posters complain about the flames getting Tofolli was not disappointed. We had neither the cap room nor assets to make that trade and we didn’t need him to begin with. Our needs are a Goalie and a Defenseman. We just added Kane for nothing but cap space so no need to add another top six winger.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Their future is murky and perhaps their best players disappear in the playoffs again (not coached by Sutter when they did though) but they've been impressive this season, from my trying to be unbiased point of view, and have gotten better with this addition.

I’m not arguing that point. They pretty much have to go all in this season because things are probably going to change for them in terms of roster make up next season.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I’m not arguing that point. They pretty much have to go all in this season because things are probably going to change for them in terms of roster make up next season.
We pretty much have to go all-in this season as well though.

Despite the collapse, we are a solid defenceman and maybe one more scoring forward away from competing.

We're not far off. I am confident one of Smith/Koskinen/Skinner is good enough with Woodcroft's style. We have a free star player in Kane. He won't be back next season. We send it this year.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Kind of surprised the Flames got Toffoli instead of Anderson tbh.

I'm not even going to give an opinion on getting Anderson as our cap situation wouldn't even allow it anyways.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Despite the collapse, we are a solid defenceman and maybe one more scoring forward away from competing.

We're not far off. I am confident one of Smith/Koskinen/Skinner is good enough with Woodcroft's style. We have a free star player in Kane. He won't be back next season. We send it this year.

We don't have a goaltender that's even in the same league as the ones that go far in the playoffs.
Last year's semi-finals: Vasilevsky, Fleury, Price, Sorokin/Varlamov

mrjnick

Feb 12, 2022
I think the teams immediate need is for a shutdown RD and goalie of course. We finally have some forward depth.
Somebody like Braun (for the 3rd pair), or Savard (for the 2nd pair) once he's back from injury. No idea about the G position.

Barrie is no longer needed with the emergence of Bouchard on the PP.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

We don't have to do anything. The team beyond this season will be adding depth via the development process. The team is getting stronger year by year. We're not in the same position that they are. The only impactful player we're at risk of losing is Kane, which is expected. They're probably going to lose Gaudreau.

Reactions: spot

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
So Stone is on LTIR and Eichel is in. Did Stone scratch his back the old man?

06C2C15A-3C8C-4DED-9C73-7FD6C6C0C4C8.gif

Stone Day 1 of Playoffs

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We don't have to do anything. The team beyond this season will be adding depth via the development process. The team is getting stronger year by year. We're not in the same position that they are. The only impactful player we're at risk of losing is Kane, which is expected. They're probably going to lose Gaudreau.

"We" don't. If Holland doesn't make the playoffs he's finished as a GM.

Every team has prospects coming into their system, the Oilers are nothing special in that regard.

I like Holloway but 5 points and only 1 goal in 9 AHL games doesn't exactly scream "impact NHLer soon!".

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
"We" don't. If Holland doesn't make the playoffs he's finished as a GM.
And like I've responded to you before (because you consistently repeat things), I don't care about the GM's job. It has no impact on my enjoyment of the game.

As they sit today, they're a playoff team barring some significant injury. A reactionary trade with the sole purpose of saving a manager's job is the least attractive idea I could possibly think of.

Reactions: TB12 and Darkwinter

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And like I've responded to you before (because you consistently repeat things), I don't care about the GM's job. It has no impact on my enjoyment of the game.

As the sit today, they're a playoff team barring some significant injury. A reactionary trade with the sole purpose of saving a manager's job is the least attractive idea I could possibly think of.

They're not in a playoff spot as of today.

There isn't some significant cavalry coming for next year either. Broberg is raw and is probably going to make a ton of mistakes just as Bouchard is, these players need to be sheltered.

Holloway has 5 points in 9 AHL games and only 1 goal ... that's not mind blowing.

Likely if they don't retain Kane, the forward group takes a step backwards next year.

The next GM even if Holland is gone is going to be under the gun for the same issues too (get a f***ing goalie now), so it's not like even if Holland bites the bullet it means the outlook for the team magically resets to 0. The next GM will be put under a mandate to fix the issues Holland neglected for years immediately.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The Oilers are not getting better every year. In fact, they've regressed this season although a part of that could be them tuning out Tippett somewhat and more erratic goaltending of course.

Regardless, I don't see a path for them to go "all in" anyway. They're several pieces away from even competing for a division title never mind Cup contention and they have precious few assets to bring in those pieces so they have no choice but to rely on development to fill in the gaps.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is certainly what we're hoping for, but the future between the pipes doesn't look promising.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers are not getting better every year. In fact, they've regressed this season although a part of that could be them tuning out Tippett somewhat and more erratic goaltending of course.

Regardless, I don't see a path for them to go "all in" anyway. They're several pieces away from even competing for a division title never mind Cup contention and they have precious few assets to bring in those pieces so they have no choice but to rely on development to fill in the gaps.

They should be better this year, more talented certainly, but Smith's injuries which are likely directly related to the fact that he's dirt old has basically flushed any progress down the toilet. Which was predictable.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They should be better this year, more talented certainly, but Smith's injuries which are likely directly related to the fact that he's dirt old has basically flushed any progress down the toilet. Which was predictable.

I'm curious to see how much of that is due to Tippett's system. It's a system that depends heavily on consistent goaltending and/or good shot blocking (which was lost with Larsson gone and Russell out most of the year) because of all the zone entries and uncontested point shots it allows so I want to see if Woodcroft can implement a system that allows more puck possession for the Oilers by playing more aggressive in the defensive zone and leads to more O zone time.

I think it's partially a personnel issue but it just seemed like the personnel didn't fit the type of coach Tippett is. It didn't help either that they're #1 goalie was injured most of the season. Funny enough, Tippett would have been a better fit in Calgary I think.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Someone help me understand if Marchand will be able to play while appealing his suspension?
This is for fantasy purposes...I will take him out for the week if he isn't going to play. I just can't find good information on this.
Sorry, I know this is probably not the right thread for this. Wasn't sure where to put this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad