Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXVI: G Staying Put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This team is only 4 point up in the playoff chase in the east and would not even make the playoffs in the west. But I guess they have Stanley cup in their future this year.

And, since the awful start on the road, they have the 2nd most points in the Eastern Conference.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
This team is only 4 point up in the playoff chase in the east and would not even make the playoffs in the west. But I guess they have Stanley cup in their future this year.

You do realize that "winning now" is all about the team you are building? In all honesty it doesn't matter if you finish 1st or 8th ... in is in. And you have a team built with talent, you look to get to the dance and let the chips fall where they may.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
I'd say that's probably true, except I seriously worry about us up the middle.

also with MSL being a RWer if you slot him next to Richards it would certainly make us better offensively and even more balanced, but on the flip side, it also makes us softer since Cally is one of the best forecheckers in the NHL.

I don't think its a great trade long term at 1 for 1, but short term it probably puts us in the upper echelon of the 2nd tier teams, or lower echelon of the top tier teams.

Definitely feel the same way. More so, If Kreider can consistently contribute on the score sheet like he did earlier this season. It may even push them higher.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007

So, in other words, the East is wide open. And as for the west, well you only have to play 1 of those teams.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
And yet somehow folks have themselves convinced that they're a legitimate contender. :shakehead

Couldn't agree with you more. I'll root like hell for them to beat the odds once the deadline passes - BUT they should be focused on long-term trades ONLY.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Dagoon44 said:
Two things going down told Sather prepared to go late into the nigh with a offer for cally. And there is two major trades in the works. One with east coast time one Canadian

I'm just quoting this so it's not lost in the closed thread. This is a very interesting bit of info. Who else other then Cally is on the block? Boyle? Stralman? This is such a great time of year. So fun!

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
You do realize that "winning now" is all about the team you are building? In all honesty it doesn't matter if you finish 1st or 8th ... in is in. And you have a team built with talent, you look to get to the dance and let the chips fall where they may.

Look I guess I don't think a 39year old will help this team win a cup. If you trade him straight up for Cally, great, maybe you can make a run nothing to lose there. But to give up a first for next year when they could be a bad steak away from not making the playoffs I don't think it is wise.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
He almost 39. And you would be giving up two 1st's because you can get a first for Cally most likely, for a guy who Might get you 60 points for one season.

Who says we have to give up a 1st with Cally for St. Louis? And who says we would get a 1st for Cally? The only rumors I've heard are Stewart+, who's now a Sabre, and St. Louis.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Am I the only one who thinks you need to find that balance between doing everything possible to make your team as strong to compete now (within your window of opportunity to win) AND keeping your core together and keep developing your talent to replenish the guys as they get older? You cannot be one extreme or the other ... or else you will always be in no mans land.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm just quoting this so it's not lost in the closed thread. This is a very interesting bit of info. Who else other then Cally is on the block? Boyle? Stralman? This is such a great time of year. So fun!

one Canadian - Vancouver/Kesler?

east coast - TB/MSL?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Look I guess I don't think a 39year old will help this team win a cup. If you trade him straight up for Cally, great, maybe you can make a run nothing to lose there. But to give up a first for next year when they could be a bad steak away from not making the playoffs I don't think it is wise.

Save yourself a few months and don't watch. Catch up on some work or a TV show, Netflix streams Sons of Anarchy.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

They aren't bad enough to be so far at the bottom of the league and give away a top 10 pick.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I don't know if I would say the offense is lacking skill and finish. Stepan and Brassard lines have plenty of each at times. But it could stand to improve, I suppose. However the roster is also lacking the ability to sustain a forecheck. Win puck battles. And score when the perfect tic tac toe play isn't there on a platter.

With rare spurts the Hagelin-Richards-Callahan line has not given the Rangers enough. That line in an ideal world would be something like (in terms of style, not saying the Rangers will get these players) Hagelin-Bergeron/Kesler-Oshie/Zucker. Skating, some bite, great defensively, great in the corners, capable offensively. Hagelin-Richards-MSL will score but it really doesn't provide a ton the Rangers don't have already with their other 2 lines. So in a series with Boston or the Western champ...I am not sure they can keep the puck out of their own end enough with 3 lines that play such a similar, often one-dimensional game.

The mix of the forward group leaves a lot to be desired, again just my 2 cents. MSL makes them better no doubt, he is a tremendous player. But he doesn't help to shift the mix enough. And I am especially talking about up the middle.

Yes, there does seem to be a bit of redundancy there. And MSL and Zucc are very similar wingers... Zucc is basically a poor man's MSL (in fact, I think was a poster earlier today who floated the idea of trading Zucc for MSL, maybe it was BRF? I see where he's coming from with this).

AV has mentioned before about how the Rangers try to model themselves after the Red Wings, but I'm seeing more of a similarity of what the Canadiens have traditionally done post-lockout - small and speedy with good, but not great, centers. In addition to skill and talent, the successful Detroit teams have had some of the best two-players in the game up and down the line-up, as well a bunch of players who can forecheck hard and wreak havoc in the crease (Holmstrom, Franzen, Bertuzzi, Cleary). The Rangers could stand to improve in those areas.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

and since their awful start, they have been one of the best teams..

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The Rangers pick next year will be late. I thought it wasn't a great draft? thats what I've heard from many..

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA
And yet somehow folks have themselves convinced that they're a legitimate contender. :shakehead

Couldn't agree with you more. I'll root like hell for them to beat the odds once the deadline passes - BUT they should be focused on long-term trades ONLY.

100% agree.

Listen, it's one thing to "buy" and get long-term pieces, but "buying" on a St. Louis to give you 1-2 kicks at the can isn't very good management. It's just not. It's un-creative and frankly, the easy solution that won't pay off down the line.

People always say, "well just get in like LA did and see what happens," as an argument to buy. The problem with that theory is that season LA traded for Jeff Carter and didn't get any older. That move paid off, clearly, but even if it didn't he's still there going forward to become a part of your core.

In my mind, being against the MSL acquisition isn't calling this season a complete wash or giving up on it, but a short-term asset is not what I want in return for Callahan, who we've developed for 10 years.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
wait whats the Canadian Time Zone??

the lingered from the last thread

TZ06SSE.jpg

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
well then with the Rangers pick going to be late, isnt it better to trade your 1st in a weak draft if you're going to do it?

People are acting like we are at the bottom of the league and we are trading a top 10 pick ... I mean sheesh .. ALSO ... a pick is JUST A PICK. It could be a great player ... it could be a bust.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011

Hagelin, Brassard. Both play positions which would be filled by returning players. Stralman if the rangers can't afford to pay him with returning players from trades and players resigned.

I like Hagelin a lot, think the Rangers lose a + piece if they trade him. He can flip the ice for the rangers and has really impressed me with his puck instincts. I like the player Hagelin grew into.

Brassard is playing himself in a nice contract and it may be for more then the rangers are able to pay when the time comes..

In so many ways, I prefer trading Nash, and swapping nash and st. louis as ur 1st line point production. Ride St. Louis out for awhile and look to bring in a 1st line winger via free agency in the next 2 years. Allow st. Louis to take a 2nd/3rd line role if he wants to continue playing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad