Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXVI: G Staying Put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hope we get some valuable assets for Callahan and not a 40-year old player who will retire soon. There is nothing good in a trade like that. If we trade our captain, it has to be for future stars or current players who will be playing for at least 5 more years.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Hope we get some valuable assets for Callahan and not a 40-year old player who will retire soon.

He is 38, not 40. As Kel said his age is very misleading. If they get 3-4 years out of him it is a great move to make. MSL has missed 7 games since 2002-2003. Give the age ******** a rest.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
This is part 26 of the trade rumor thread, who's a #26? :sarcasm:

MSL has shown no signs of deterioration. I actually have more faith in him staying healthy over the next three years than Callahan.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Hope we get some valuable assets for Callahan and not a 40-year old player who will retire soon.

Yes thank you. Giving up a first for a 39 year old who will only play one more season for us and the giving up the potential of getting a first for Cally if you send him elsewhere does not make sense.

lJuicel

Feb 1, 2010
St. John's
He is 38, not 40. As Kel said his age is very misleading. If they get 3-4 years out of him it is a great move to make. MSL has missed 7 games since 2002-2003. Give the age ******** a rest.

The folks against the trade can't give the age thing a rest cause its the only leg to stand on in this argument really. A Cally for MSL deal, is a no brainer to me. We'd have to add, but like someone posted earlier Fast ? Kristo ? Not really game changers.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Yes thank you. Giving up a first for a 39 year old who will only play one more season for us and the potential of getting a first for Cally if you send him elsewhere does not make sense.

He's not 39 and he could be a 60+ point guy well into his 40s. He's a ppg guy easily for this year and next year maybe more. He is way more valuable than a first

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Yes thank you. Giving up a first for a 39 year old who will only play one more season for us and the giving up the potential of getting a first for Cally if you send him elsewhere does not make sense.

We could always trade St. Louis at next years deadline for more than Cally will get at this years since both are unsigned and St. Louis is a vastly superior player...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The fact that he has only missed 7 games in the last 12 years, does not give us any certainty he will play for another few years. I would prefer to get players who can contribute for 5+ years and have trade-value in a couple of years.

I love MSL as a player, but trading him for Callahan? Not sure if that is the best we can get out of a Cally-based deal.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We could always trade St. Louis at next years deadline for more than Cally will get at this years since both are unsigned and St. Louis is a vastly superior player...

Another solid idea if things werent working out for the rangers team next year...though I think when you add MSL to the mix of this goalie, defense, nash, kreider, stepan, hagelin, brassard...you will be competitive.

lJuicel

Feb 1, 2010
St. John's
Can we change the title of the thread to MSL's birthdate ? Some folks seem to be having a tough time crunching the numbers.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Everyone here keeps harping on MSL's age ... when the truth is you might lose Cally for ZILCH ... so if you can get SOMETHING for him (especially an elite scorer) even if it is for a 2 year run - you take it.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The fact that he has only missed 7 games in the last 12 years, does not give us any certainty he will play for another few years. I would prefer to get players who can contribute for 5+ years and have trade-value in a couple of years.

I love MSL as a player, but trading him for Callahan? Not sure if that is the best we can get out of a Cally-based deal.

Ryan Callahan is a RENTAL...who are you getting that is going to play the next 5 years? Please submit a list of names? The one player rumored was Chris Stewart, signed only through next year. Oh wait that sounds just like MSL, who lives in Greenwich, CT and could sign 1 year 35+ contracts until he retires. You want things that don't exist.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Hope we get some valuable assets for Callahan and not a 40-year old player who will retire soon. There is nothing good in a trade like that. If we trade our captain, it has to be for future stars or current players who will be playing for at least 5 more years.

Turning down a cutprice trade for an elite player who apparently only wants to play here betrays an amazing lack of flexibility. I wouldn't be shocked if Yzerman wants a fairer value - then you take your ball and go home, whatever, no problem - but to see Rangers fans turning down the kinds of players and proposals coming up I just don't understand it.

If we suck eggs somehow and MSL wants out next year, do you know what we could get for him in assets as a rental with the whole league in play? (It's much more than what we can get for Ryan Callahan)

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005

I'm not sure you can. He has a no trade. Does he lose it for next season if he allows a trade this season?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Yet another GM addresses trade rumors involving a player.

I don't even remember who said that GMs don't do this, but I enjoy posting it anyway to show that they do.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/1687/shea-weber

"We’re not trading Shea. We've told that to everybody. People ask and it’s their right to ask, but we're not trading him," Predators GM David Poile said.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY

Just don't understand it...

Solid goaltending

Solid blueline

Offensively lacking real top end skill and finish.

This team is pretty much built to win NOW, what is it with the picks and prospects approach I'm not seeing? Adding an elite talent like MSL is EXACTLY what this team needs to be mentioned among contenders, not pretenders... But like I said, maybe the beer goggles are affecting what I'm seeing...

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

You do realize MSL is only signed for another 2 years, and say worst case scenario he breaks down ... that cap space is free after next season to spend on locking up current players or trading or signing others with better value / production.

Nightshift

Mar 22, 2013
It seems unlikely MSL would request a trade if he only intended to play 1 more season. I think the end of his career will mirror that of guys like Selanne and Lidstrom. Still playing at a high level and leaving on their own terms. Id wager MSL playing another 3 seasons at least.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Just don't understand it...

Solid goaltending

Solid blueline

Offensive lacking real top end skill and finish.

This team is pretty much built to win NOW, what is it with the picks and prospects approach I'm not seeing? Adding an elite talent like MSL is EXACTLY what this team needs to be mentioned among contenders, not pretenders... But like I said, maybe the beer goggles are affecting what I'm seeing...

I'm with you. And there's zero evidence that MSL would only play one season for us.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
He's not 39 and he could be a 60+ point guy well into his 40s. He's a ppg guy easily for this year and next year maybe more. He is way more valuable than a first

He almost 39. And you would be giving up two 1st's because you can get a first for Cally most likely, for a guy who Might get you 60 points for one season.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
You do realize MSL is only signed for another 2 years, and say worst case scenario he breaks down ... that cap space is free after next season to spend on locking up current players or trading or signing others with better value / production.

Or you could trade Callahan for pieces with a shelf life > 2 years.

There is risk in that. But I myself do not believe that MSL makes the Rangers a contender this year or next. So I would prefer they take that risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->