Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXVI: G Staying Put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Just don't understand it...

Solid goaltending

Solid blueline

Offensive lacking real top end skill and finish.

This team is pretty much built to win NOW, what is it with the picks and prospects approach I'm not seeing? Adding an elite talent like MSL is EXACTLY what this team needs to be mentioned among contenders, not pretenders... But like I said, maybe the beer goggles are affecting what I'm seeing...

I think some people are always looking to be in the prevent rebuild mode instead of the all in mode. You need an equal balance to always be in the mix year in and year out ... and when you are really close ... you take a gamble ... this team is pretty close. I am not saying trade all your young players ... but a player here or there is sometimes a risk you make to win it all. Does it always pay off? NO, but that is the BUSINESS of sports ... it's all risk.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Or you could trade Callahan for pieces with a shelf life > 2 years.

There is risk in that. But I myself do not believe that MSL makes the Rangers a contender this year or next. So I would prefer they take that risk.

Fair point. I myself think MSL might actually put them over the top. I always believed (since the Nash deal) they have been ONE elite scorer away from being VERY dangerous ... but that's just me.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Or you could trade Callahan for pieces with a shelf life > 2 years.

There is risk in that. But I myself do not believe that MSL makes the Rangers a contender this year or next. So I would prefer they take that risk.

Just wondering what would then. That is outside of trading for Crosby, Ovechkin and Weber... Of course..

lovethehype

Jan 21, 2014
Even with a first-round pick (A late one at that probably) I dont trust the Rangers to make a good draft choice.

Miz

Jun 2, 2011
I love all these wannabe insiders who claim they had Miller to STL...This info was given by the real insiders like a month ago.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Don't forget this team get even softer when you trade cally and replace him with a 38 year old. Who is going to do all the grunt work now especial playoffs? Maybe Richards can beef up.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well, I hope you guys are right and this deal proves me wrong (if the deal is finalized). To be fair, you guys watch a lot more hockey than I do. I hardly keep up with watching all Ranger games at night haha

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I don't know if I would say the offense is lacking skill and finish. Stepan and Brassard lines have plenty of each at times. But it could stand to improve, I suppose. However the roster is also lacking the ability to sustain a forecheck. Win puck battles. And score when the perfect tic tac toe play isn't there on a platter.

With rare spurts the Hagelin-Richards-Callahan line has not given the Rangers enough. That line in an ideal world would be something like (in terms of style, not saying the Rangers will get these players) Hagelin-Bergeron/Kesler-Oshie/Zucker. Skating, some bite, great defensively, great in the corners, capable offensively. Hagelin-Richards-MSL will score but it really doesn't provide a ton the Rangers don't have already with their other 2 lines. So in a series with Boston or the Western champ...I am not sure they can keep the puck out of their own end enough with 3 lines that play such a similar, often one-dimensional game.

The mix of the forward group leaves a lot to be desired, again just my 2 cents. MSL makes them better no doubt, he is a tremendous player. But he doesn't help to shift the mix enough. And I am especially talking about up the middle.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think MSL added to NYR makes the team a legitimate contender.

I'd say that's probably true, except I seriously worry about us up the middle.

also with MSL being a RWer if you slot him next to Richards it would certainly make us better offensively and even more balanced, but on the flip side, it also makes us softer since Cally is one of the best forecheckers in the NHL.

I don't think its a great trade long term at 1 for 1, but short term it probably puts us in the upper echelon of the 2nd tier teams, or lower echelon of the top tier teams.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Don't forget this team get even softer when you trade cally and replace him with a 38 year old. Who is going to do all the grunt work now especial playoffs? Maybe Richards can beef up.

who was gona do that work when they traded callahan for young players and picks as you claim he can garner? Grasping at straws now.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Don't forget this team get even softer when you trade cally and replace him with a 38 year old. Who is going to do all the grunt work now? So n

If you can make a tape to tape pass and actually finish, it will cut down on the dump and chase. MSL isn't afraid of getting dirty either...

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Just wondering what would then. That is outside of trading for Crosby, Ovechkin and Weber... Of course..

We don't have an elite 1C and an elite PMD on top of our elite GK, elite defensive D-man, great secondary scoring, great checking line, great defensive depth, inconsistent superstar forward Rick Nash, consistent superstar forward Martin St. Louis (if we get him) and we're not going to be able to bring those pieces in, so instead of trying to win hockey games when we made it to the conference finals a couple years ago with a worse team we should just kind of...take it easy, I guess?

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Based on Dagoon's post. Two major trades?

East Coast team Tampa for St. Louis

Canadian team Vancouver, Kesler for Nash :sarcasm:

I know its unlikely the rangers trade Nash but it frees up some money, it would be like exchanging Nash/Richards with Kesler/St. Louis

But honestly, I think they are the targets.

There are a couple rosters players I could see being available that Vancouver may be interested in

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I don't know if I would say the offense is lacking skill and finish. Stepan and Brassard lines have plenty of each at times. But it could stand to improve, I suppose. However the roster is also lacking the ability to sustain a forecheck. Win puck battles. And score when the perfect tic tac toe play isn't there on a platter.

With rare spurts the Hagelin-Richards-Callahan line has not given the Rangers enough. That line in an ideal world would be something like (in terms of style, not saying the Rangers will get these players) Hagelin-Bergeron/Kesler-Oshie/Zucker. Skating, some bite, great defensively, great in the corners, capable offensively. Hagelin-Richards-MSL will score but it really doesn't provide a ton the Rangers don't have already with their other 2 lines. So in a series with Boston or the Western champ...I am not sure they can keep the puck out of their own end enough with 3 lines that play such a similar, often one-dimensional game.

The mix of the forward group leaves a lot to be desired, again just my 2 cents. MSL makes them better no doubt, he is a tremendous player. But he doesn't help to shift the mix enough. And I am especially talking about up the middle.

No, but he makes the wings stronger. And, he takes some of the burden off Nash. Add in a 3rd line with Zucc and Brassard flying the radar, and I'll take my chances with this team going forward. Again, I don't see how a career PPG playoff performer doesn't improve this team's chances come playoff time.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

What we do have is balance ... which is JUST as important as skill level. Look at the Bruins and Hawks and Pens ... their 3rd and 4th lines are really good. You add someone like MSL .. and everyone else gets knocked down a notch in terms of pressure to finish it only IMPROVES your depth.

robwrx04

Aug 5, 2010
CT
Those complaining about MSL's age.

Yeah age plays a difference. Selanne didn't produce at all from being 38.

38 65gp 54 points
39 54gp 48 points
40 73gp 80 points
41 82gp 66 points
42 46gp 24 points

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
?

Then why did we just sign Henrik to a bazillion dollar contract.. Resign Girardi, trade for Nash... I'm confused, thought that was the idea behind it all...

This team is only 4 point up in the playoff chase in the east and would not even make the playoffs in the west. But I guess they have Stanley cup in their future this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad