Speculation: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXIV: C'est la St. Louis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
Stepan is overrated, but you don't move him for Kesler. We'd become a very old hockey team, very quickly.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don't see why not. And shut down d-men are great to have, but we need a more offensive minded guy. Vatanen is that.

Do we think Anaheim trades Vatanen for an unsigned Girardi? I really hate to make such a blind guess but do we think the reason Girardi hasn't signed is because it is a sign and trade with Anaheim and Slats wants to get more from Anaheim?

Girardi + 3rd for Vatanen + OTT 1st.

Maybe Anaheim only wants to give their 1st and Slats wants OTT first?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
As for the teams Defence. I don't believe that Girardi is the glue that some are lending him.

Do I believe that Vatanen is the answer? I can't say yes or no.

I believe we have solid defensive defenceman in Staal, McD, Klein. I like the hybrids in Stralman and Moore and while I do like Girardi, if you told me we could get a slick skating defenceman with a good outlet pass and good shot from the point I don't think that our overall team defence is hampered that much.

You can't play Vatanen with Moore so the pairings would be:

McDonagh - Stralman
Staal - Vatanen
Moore - Klein.

I have NO problem with that defence.

Especially if we can get, in addition to Vatanen, DSP and a 1st (perfer the Ottawa pick)

DSP is a BIG man-child that I would play with Brass and Zuccs. Pouliot would be stuck in the press box (and that's taking into considerign that he has played well over the last 2 months.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Nope. Knowing how AV is fond of and seemingly invested in Puliot, dont see him moving off that line. Kreider best not be going anywhere. If Boyle's here, he's 4th line LW or C, but only if Moore comes out.

So, that's why, it's tight.

I'd move Boyle this deadline regardless of any external factor. His minutes can be replaced while making the team faster. Very valuable player, just not a must have like he was the last couple of years.

Teams overpay for players like him, and all the contenders can find a way to fit him in under the cap.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Do we think Anaheim trades Vatanen for an unsigned Girardi? I really hate to make such a blind guess but do we think the reason Girardi hasn't signed is because it is a sign and trade with Anaheim and Slats wants to get more from Anaheim?

posting in the trade board, I didn't see much opposition to the following

Girardi (signed) for Vatanen, DSP and the Ott 1st.

I think a signed Girardi is worth that at least.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

By all accounts Girardi is pretty well regarded around the league and a good prospect for a 1st pairing rental isn't crazy...the Ducks most likely believe they're a contender and adding a minute eating steady vet defenseman could be a big priority for them...enough to move a smaller offensive defenseman, especially since they already have Fowler and isn't Lindholm also panning out as a good potential puck mover?

That said...if the Rangers could acquire someone like Vatanen without moving Girardi I'd be much more interested

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
As for the teams Defence. I don't believe that Girardi is the glue that some are lending him.

Do I believe that Vatanen is the answer? I can't say yes or no.

I believe we have solid defensive defenceman in Staal, McD, Klein. I like the hybrids in Stralman and Moore and while I do like Girardi, if you told me we could get a slick skating defenceman with a good outlet pass and good shot from the point I don't think that our overall team defence is hampered that much.

You can't play Vatanen with Moore so the pairings would be:

McDonagh - Stralman
Staal - Vatanen
Moore - Klein.

I have NO problem with that defence.

Especially if we can get, in addition to Vatanen, DSP and a 1st (perfer the Ottawa pick)

DSP is a BIG man-child that I would play with Brass and Zuccs. Pouliot would be stuck in the press box (and that's taking into considerign that he has played well over the last 2 months.

DSP can still play in the minors. His development curve is very similar to Nino Neiderreiter's. Not as skilled perhaps, but is scoring at a 40 goal clip in the AHL this season.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn

Maybe Anaheim only wants to give their 1st and Slats wants OTT first?

Unfortunately, no. IMO.

Girardi could fetch a huge return, even as a rental, but I think the Ducks want to hang on to Sami.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
Don't shoot me but I'd move Stepan for Kesler + a solid C prospect.

edit: Did not see his injury history until now... better be one hell of a prospect

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Kesler is not the Kesler from 2009-2011. hes torn labrums in both his shoulder and hip, as well as having other fractured bones/minor injuries. It would be a mistake to give up significant value to acquire this 29 year old Kesler.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kesler is not the Kesler from 2009-2011. hes torn labrums in both his shoulder and hip, as well as having other fractured bones/minor injuries. It would be a mistake to give up significant value to acquire this 29 year old Kesler.

Yeah we're all ready to jetison Callahan because we think he'll break down quickly, but now people want Kesler who is already breaking down quickly...there's a lot to like abotu Kesler's game but I'd honestly rather keep Stepan

Todd Harvey

Dec 29, 2013
I'd move Boyle this deadline regardless of any external factor. ..... Teams overpay for players like him, and all the contenders can find a way to fit him in under the cap.

True teams would overpay a bit, but in what form? Another mid-round pick? Rangers dont need that.

If you're telling me we could get a terrific young offensive d-man for Boyle, gotta consider it. Or if you want to upgrade to a Glencross, great, though that'd be pricey and seems like overkill for a 4th liner.

Otherwise, Boyle's one of them there glue guys, versatile, and they need the size with another smurf incoming LOL.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
posting in the trade board, I didn't see much opposition to the following

Girardi (signed) for Vatanen, DSP and the Ott 1st.

I think a signed Girardi is worth that at least.

As long as we were to get Vatanen and the Ott 1st I don't mind. As others have pointed out although it may be a small chance, any lottery chance is a good one. I would still prefer to sign Girardi but that is just me.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
in the past 3 seasons kesler averages .65 PPG. Stepan over that time span averages .68 PPG. Stepan is probably a better defensive player at this time as well and is 6 years younger. Trading Stepan for Kesler is idiotic.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
To answer your question, there's no way the Ducks trade Vatanen for an unsigned Girardi.

AHB*

This is classic, Stepan for Kesler. Stepan is 23 years old. Kesler is on his way into Callahan territory, except seemingly at a faster pace.

It's theories like these that hold the Rangers back. Trading budding young players like Steps for aging, injury prone vets like Kesler.

I'll gladly sit back and laugh when we trade Stepan and he turns into another Marc Savard for a rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad