Speculation: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXIV: C'est la St. Louis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
What's with all this talk about Glencross? He has a NMC. He got that NMC by taking a hometown discount to stay in Calgary. He loves it in Alberta and has built a farm there. At least that is what all Flames fans say when he's mentioned in proposals.

So where is this coming from?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The problem with 2 shut down pairing is you have no offense coming from the blue-line. Vatanen isn't that bad defensively. He is no worse than Moore.

This isn't the first time I read that. "No worse than Moore"? All I see on this board is posts about how Moore is the worst defenseman in the history of the world.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
This is ridiculous. Now theres. Rumor of Kesler for Stepan out there. Katie Strang

tumblr_lyiovxPL0T1r3gup8o1_400.gif

Wow, that would really ruin trade Christmas.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Some of the guys here were schooling me a bit on Fast last night.
I havent seen these kids up close recently, so I really cant say as to Fast.
But Kristo, I know that kind of talent when I see it.

To me, he's the kind of guy that can burn your butt if you move him, especially for a guy in his 30's.
Same time, gotta give to get.
Would have to know what else is out there & the prices.

The other thing with Glencross would be, where is he gonna play?
Who sits? He's excellent cause he can slot from your 2nd line to your 4th. He can score some, he can rumble. he's presumably not as expensive as an Andrew Ladd, who I dont see coming here.
Same time, you dont want to give up big talent for a 4th liner.
Are they thoroughly pleased with Hagelin? If you're going to insert some more grit, where are you putting it?

Lotsa questions get answered this deadline.

I doubt GlenX gets moved... NMC.. hometown discount.. GlenX is a 16-18 minute a night guy that can play up and down the line up... I think Haggy gets moved to the 3rd line or perhaps 4th line so Pouliot-Brassard can stay together.

Hagelin vs slower bottom six defensemen equals instant possession. If Kreider underperforms, Hags or GlenX can move up... I like the prospect of Hagelin going up against slower less mobile defensemen quite a bit since he can carry a 4th line... it's about the performance guys give in their minutes and not rank or the center they play with.

Hagelin is hard to replace... he has to play the same way... all out.. everygame... that's who he was in Michigan... and it's been lacking this season. Same with the entire forward roster this year.

Kristo from the offensive zone in looks like a tremendous player... but not a 3-Zone player even when playing with some fire in his belly. He's clearly at least 3rd in the depth chart if the Rangers need a RW call up. Becomes UFA if he doesn't play 80 games from now till July 2015.

Have you heard anything about Hagelin for GlenX?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It's natural to be nostalgic about the past. That new wave of players came right as I got seriously interested, so I'm attached to them on that level, but trying to look at it from a bit more of a reasonable distance, that core peaked in 11-12, and their peak was certainly fun, but not really dangerous in terms of winning a cup. That jersey team was super beatable, and their fourth line made fools of that Rangers team.

And it's not like there isn't a new wave of players that seem to be good guys and solid competitors: McDonagh, Kreider, MZA, Miller soon, McIlrath soon, probably Fast as well.

As much as I liked this core, I don't want to be one of those guys always talking about the past and thinking about the past. McDonagh is as talented a defenseman as I've ever seen on this team. Kreider has the potential to play with the heart and strength that Dubi and Cally used to play with, only he's got a way higher ceiling on offense. MZA is a great story and he's grown into a very exciting player over a short time.

This wave of players moving on makes room for a new wave of players. Let us not forget, Cally all but decided to leave with those demands, and there's talk that now G is moving the goalposts on his deal. Loyalty goes both ways. If they don't want to be here, I don't want them here no matter what the nostalgia factor is.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Do you guys think Vatanen can play with Staal and have him cover up for him? It was just nice having 2 shutdown D-pairings. :(

One thing this makes me think of that I hadn't considered is whether the level of competition coming from the Western Conference to the Eastern Conference might help Vatanen. As of right now I wouldn't compulsively vomit if he was on our second pairing but I wouldn't be excited (just talking defensively). Also, another thing to consider if how he would fare in a man system. Based on what I've seen of him, I think he'd fit well. So who knows.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
There is no way we trade Stepan for Kesler. That wouldn't make sense. We need to focus on Cally and Girardi, whether it's a trade or re-sign. This Stepan talk is just nonsense and counter productive to our cause.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Derek Stepan is an extremely overrated hockey player by this fan base.

When he's on he's very good, unfortunately he hasn't really been "on" this year, or in the playoffs last year. That said, I find it hard to swallow trading him for Kesler, who I like but has massive, massive injury problems and even if he's better than Stepan, spending half the season injured makes him a much worse player value wise

I thought the speculation about Stepan and Kesler wasn't really a real rumor but someone at TSN basically saying "the Canucks are thinking about trading Kesler and they'd be looking for a player like Stepan from the Rangers in return", not that it was a bonified rumor out there for those two players

At any rate, a lot of names thrown around might also be names we hearing that other teams are interested in but the Rangers aren't interested in trading, things get a bit muddled that way.

Todd Harvey

Dec 29, 2013
Have you heard anything about Hagelin for GlenX?

Nope. Knowing how AV is fond of and seemingly invested in Puliot, dont see him moving off that line. Kreider best not be going anywhere. If Boyle's here, he's 4th line LW or C, but only if Moore comes out.

So, that's why, it's tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad