Speculation: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXIV: C'est la St. Louis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Unfortunately, no. IMO.

Girardi could fetch a huge return, even as a rental, but I think the Ducks want to hang on to Sami.

You could be right. But many want a balance between LD's and RD's, and look at future D pairings.

Ana has Fowler and Lindholm as future LD's. None of them will make a good partner for Vatanen.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
True teams would overpay a bit, but in what form? Another mid-round pick? Rangers dont need that.

If you're telling me we could get a terrific young offensive d-man for Boyle, gotta consider it. Or if you want to upgrade to a Glencross, great, though that'd be pricey and seems like overkill for a 4th liner.

Otherwise, Boyle's one of them there glue guys, versatile, and they need the size with another smurf incoming LOL.

I think he can bring in a 2nd at least. No team is going to give up point producers for him or perhaps a lateral 4th liner with upside, someone like a Desjardins in SJ.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Why not? Kesler is a way better player.

Maybe three years ago. He's had a rash of injuries since then. His production hasn't come close to what he put up during his peak years. He has pretty much no chance of improving at his age and with all his injuries. Step is a kid. He's up and down, but when he's up he's very, very good, and when he's down he's just alright. I'd rather roll the dice on a kid who has shown some brilliance over some fairly long periods getting better than count on an older, way more broken player, who, if people were measuring his play objectively, really isn't even much better than the young guy at this point.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Unfortunately, no. IMO.

Girardi could fetch a huge return, even as a rental, but I think the Ducks want to hang on to Sami.

I disagree and here's why.

When you are one of the best teams in the league, you look at your roster and assess your strengths and weaknesses.

A big strength for the Ducks is young capable puck moving defenceman.

On that depth chart they have Fowler, Lindholm and Vatanen. in that order

What the Ducks DON'T have on defence is experience.

Girardi has more PO experience than Lovejoy, Allen, Fowler combined. He's 4 years younger than Beauchemin and has just 4 games less than him.

And you look at what you are going to be asking Girardi to do.

He's playing 24 mins a night here. That team ias already one of the best. Dan is not going there to save them. He will go there, be asked to play 19-20 minutes a night now and allowing him to play those 25 minute games in the PO's leaving him stronger and fresher.

Vatanen? Solid player, could be a good 40 point guy. But with the Ducks depth chart for offensive minded defenceman, I doubt Vatanen is on the ice enough to get those numbers consistently in Anaheim

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Save the post. We finally agree.

I think we can get Vatanen for unsigned Girardi, and then some.

Perhaps unsigned at the time of the deal, but I can guarantee if that's the case then Murray knows exactly what Girardi wants and will resign him shortly thereafter.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
@NYP_Brooksie: NYR continuing to work toward Girardi extension but deal not yet in hand. "Some more negotiating to do," agent Meehan tells Post in email.

Larry Melnyk

Feb 27, 2002
Gloomsville, USA
Visit site
Six months ago he was a legit #1 center....

Hey SBOB...He might have been the Rangers defacto #1 center, but that's about it...And he has totally flopped in the role...Personally, I look at a guy who has disappeared and run away in the last three POs as far from a #1 center....He is indeed skilled and I thought this year he would show the drive and a bit more attitude/compete which would lift his game that often suffers when he hides and stays to the outside...Nope...Unitl he does, he can very well be a trade candidate for a GOOD, YOUNG return

All that said, Kesler is too broken down for me to want to trade away Stepan..The Kesler of 3-4 years ago--what we really need- would have been a different story

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I disagree and here's why.

When you are one of the best teams in the league, you look at your roster and assess your strengths and weaknesses.

A big strength for the Ducks is young capable puck moving defenceman.

On that depth chart they have Fowler, Lindholm and Vatanen. in that order

What the Ducks DON'T have on defence is experience.

Girardi has more PO experience than Lovejoy, Allen, Fowler combined. He's 4 years younger than Beauchemin and has just 4 games less than him.

And you look at what you are going to be asking Girardi to do.

He's playing 24 mins a night here. That team ias already one of the best. Dan is not going there to save them. He will go there, be asked to play 19-20 minutes a night now and allowing him to play those 25 minute games in the PO's leaving him stronger and fresher.

Vatanen? Solid player, could be a good 40 point guy. But with the Ducks depth chart for offensive minded defenceman, I doubt Vatanen is on the ice enough to get those numbers consistently in Anaheim

Those are great points, and as I said, Girardi will fetch a big return if/when he's traded, there's no doubt about that. The Ducks could certainly use him, and he does make their already solid team even better going into the playoffs. I just think they will hold on to him. I would. The kid is a great young player and only going to get better. We need that.

Needless to say, If we get Sami for a Girardi rental I'll be ecstatic.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
What's with all this talk about Glencross? He has a NMC. He got that NMC by taking a hometown discount to stay in Calgary. He loves it in Alberta and has built a farm there. At least that is what all Flames fans say when he's mentioned in proposals.

So where is this coming from?

People's brains.

Might be time to have a "Legitimate Source" trade thread and "Fantasyland" trade thread

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
I'd bet all my vcash Girardi doesn't resign here.

If I had any or knew how to find vcash. Lol

Just a gut feeling that he'd be signed already if he was willing.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Good. This is what I really want.

Me too. If he wants a reasonable deal, he deserves it for sure. Plus, having him and McD locked up for a the foreseeable future would bring some nice peace of mind as far as defensive stability goes. Also, the thought of losing Staal is a little less horrifying if G is resigned.

However, I still think Vatanen should be looked into. He's part of a surplus of that type of player for Anaheim, and NYR has a complete deficit. Not sure what they would/could move for him, but I'd put the time in to see if there was a way to get him if I were Sather.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
People's brains.

Might be time to have a "Legitimate Source" trade thread and "Fantasyland" trade thread

Little hard to manage around here. Nobody seems to be able to tell the difference between the two threads. All it takes is one person to say, "Well, I'd really like Lindholm instead of Vatanen" and all of a sudden we're off on a cruise to speculationland.

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
Vatanen would be nice. Getting that OTT 1st could be as well

I've been hoping for a Beltran for Wheeler type trade ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad