Proposal: Trade Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
If the Preds were to trade Subban they would have to take salary back. No team is taking on 9 million for him right now. It's a moot point. Preds aren't trading Subban this deadline. Let's wait until the off season for this discussion.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
For the record, I do hope this team finds a way to trade Subban before his deal is up as I don't see him resigning here. He needs to go to the next market that needs a marketing boost because even as he ages he will likely still be the most marketable player in hockey.
This is what I'm thinking. Altho, I have no idea what that team would be.

Canes have the cap space. Subban for Faulk? Islander too. I don't know what would be coming our way, thought. Buffalo could make it work, but I suppose we'd have to take Bogosian and his one more year at a little over 5M?

Or my favorite scenario, Subban for Hjalmarsson.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
If the Preds were to trade Subban they would have to take salary back. No team is taking on 9 million for him right now. It's a moot point. Preds aren't trading Subban this deadline. Let's wait until the off season for this discussion.
This is most likely true. I see no point in trading him before the season is over. I don't think any major roster piece should be moved until offseason.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
My biggest concern with Subban isn't that he sucks, it's that he isn't worth $9.0mm per year. Can we trade him? Of course we can. Is another team going to value him as a $9.0mm per year player and give us a return on our trade commensurate with that? I highly doubt it.

Take a look at the list of players with a comparable cap number and let me know who you think would get traded straight up for Subban - Crosby? Ovechkin? Malkin? Obviously a trade is going to depend on the needs of each team, but my point is that Subban isn't on the same level as most players earning what he makes, and that makes it even harder to find the right match.
Montreal signed him for that amount. We're taking on his salary, but we didn't give it to him. As an organization we felt we were okay spending that money on the player he is. If someone thinks he's overpaid that's fine, but you can also call out a player like Johansen for not being on par with guys like MacKinnon, Bergeron, Kessel, etc who all make less than him. Salary is a really finicky way to judge a player.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I know I'm repeating myself here but really believe that with Subban you can't just look at his cap hit depending on the team in question. Some teams may be salivating to have a Subban caliber NAME for a few years and would be willing to pay extra for that. I'm still convinced that the Preds get every bit of value out of the Subban contract if you combine the on ice play plus the sales dollars generated on merch and continued growth of the business here in Nashville. They've probably come out ahead to be honest.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Montreal signed him for that amount. We're taking on his salary, but we didn't give it to him. As an organization we felt we were okay spending that money on the player he is. If someone thinks he's overpaid that's fine, but you can also call out a player like Johansen for not being on par with guys like MacKinnon, Bergeron, Kessel, etc who all make less than him.

Plus "overpaid" only matters on two fronts:

You're the one writing the check.

The overpayment actually prevents you from signing someone else.

*My previous post could be considered a third front but I think of it as an ownership decision on what their current goals might be.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Montreal signed him for that amount. We're taking on his salary, but we didn't give it to him. As an organization we felt we were okay spending that money on the player he is. If someone thinks he's overpaid that's fine, but you can also call out a player like Johansen for not being on par with guys like MacKinnon, Bergeron, Kessel, etc who all make less than him. Salary is a really finicky way to judge a player.

Not excusing everyone else's play - it's just that Subban seems more expendable than anyone else on the roster except for maybe Ellis, which is why I've been discussing his trade value. We definitely can't trade Joey, but I agree he's not playing as well as we'd hope or as well as similarly paid centers. For that matter, the same can be said about any player other than Ekholm/Arvi/Forsberg/maybe Josi

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Hartman + 3rd for Zuccarello would be great in my eyes. We're likely outbid, thought.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I could actually see Hartman moved as part of a deal for that very reason. Didn't like the trade at the time, still don't like it now.
Well that implies other teams like him way more than you do. I don't get this assumption that we can just ship out players we're disappointed in and get immediate upgrades. If a fan doesn't like a player, odds are a different team doesn't either.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well that implies other teams like him way more than you do. I don't get this assumption that we can just ship out players we're disappointed in and get immediate upgrades. If a fan doesn't like a player, odds are a different team doesn't either.
Didn't say it would be an upgrade but more of a larger package. Teams are always looking for guys to fill spots that are decent but not great, but are also cheap.

Frankly had we not given a freaking first rounder for him I probably wouldn't have minded him so much.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
This is what I'm thinking. Altho, I have no idea what that team would be.

Canes have the cap space. Subban for Faulk? Islander too. I don't know what would be coming our way, thought. Buffalo could make it work, but I suppose we'd have to take Bogosian and his one more year at a little over 5M?

Or my favorite scenario, Subban for Hjalmarsson.
Wow man I don't think subbans value dropped that low I mean the man was a Norris candidate just last year. I think this year he's dealing with some injures and that is the reason of the drop in play and im sure thats how other people around the league is gonna look at it . I'm not just gonna give him away. The man still has value

Reactions: LCPreds

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Wow man I don't think subbans value dropped that low I mean the man was a Norris candidate just last year. I think this year he's dealing with some injures and that is the reason of the drop in play and im sure thats how other people around the league is gonna look at it . I'm not just gonna give him away. The man still has value
I'm not suggesting we'd trade Subban for Hjalmarsson straight. Something would have to be added of course, but I just don't know what.

I don't know enough about their prospects to have a more detailed suggestion. All I know is that those guys have 1-2 years left on their contracts after this year and would therefore make for good stopgap solutions for our right side.

Islanders doesn't have a right handed defenseman to fit that need, they just have the cap space to pull off a Subban trade.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Not excusing everyone else's play - it's just that Subban seems more expendable than anyone else on the roster except for maybe Ellis, which is why I've been discussing his trade value. We definitely can't trade Joey, but I agree he's not playing as well as we'd hope or as well as similarly paid centers. For that matter, the same can be said about any player other than Ekholm/Arvi/Forsberg/maybe Josi

He's averaging close to a point per game. That's solid for a number 1 center. No beef with the way he's played this year.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
He's averaging close to a point per game. That's solid for a number 1 center. No beef with the way he's played this year.

I hear you glenn, I guess it's mostly frustration with him not shooting when he has good opportunities and thinking his goal scoring numbers could be higher. He's a solid #1C, I just don't think of him as a guy who can take over a game - but he's shown flashes of that in the postseason, so I remain ever hopeful.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the problem people have with Joey is just perspective. They start listing #1's and it starts with McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Mathews, etc. Problem is he is not at nor ever been at the level of player. Those guys are franchise type players, and no offense to Joey, but he is not that guy.

He's a step down from those guys, which means he's still very good, just not on that elite level.

He does need to shoot when he has the chance though.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
In my opinion Joey has turn it on this year. He is on pace to have his best year ever. He could shoot more but he has Arvy and Forsberg on his wings wouldn’t you try to set them up if you could pass like him?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Joeys numbers have remained consistent even with Forsberg and Arvidsson out so much.

I want to add, and I've said this for awhile. We use our defensemen on breakouts and zone entries more than most. We ask our centers do to more defensively (covering for our 4 pmds) than most teams and less offensively (transitioning).

That's our system, and it hasn't changed much on that in from Trotz to Lavy, it's just Lavy is even more aggressive with it and his teams push the pace more.

It's why we seem to love the Sissons and Bonino type centers.

It also drove Arnott to leave here.

Last edited:
Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I really hope the jets dont get stone like the rumors swirling around says. I been a big fan of stone for a few years now I would hate to not like the guy. On another note I really hope Poile doesn't go and get panarin I really dont think he is worth the price for someone that you have a zero chance to sign. I rather do Tolvenen for someone you have a chance to sign. If its about the cup why wouldnt you wanna sign in nashville. If its about the money I'm sure Poile could afford a big contract for stone and the no tax could make it lower than what's expected. Like stone could be 8 years for 8.5 million and Duchene could be 8 years for 7.5.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I really hope the jets dont get stone like the rumors swirling around says. I been a big fan of stone for a few years now I would hate to not like the guy. On another note I really hope Poile doesn't go and get panarin I really dont think he is worth the price for someone that you have a zero chance to sign. I rather do Tolvenen for someone you have a chance to sign. If its about the cup why wouldnt you wanna sign in nashville. If its about the money I'm sure Poile could afford a big contract for stone and the no tax could make it lower than what's expected. Like stone could be 8 years for 8.5 million and Duchene could be 8 years for 7.5.

Duchene is making $6.5mil this year ... $6mil cap hit. I'd bet he's looking for more than $7.5 on the open market. Stone is probably going to want a bigger raise from his current $7.35mil, one year deal ... especially with five straight 20+ goal seasons including what is a potential 30+ goal season this time around.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Duchene is making $6.5mil this year ... $6mil cap hit. I'd bet he's looking for more than $7.5 on the open market. Stone is probably going to want a bigger raise from his current $7.35mil, one year deal ... especially with five straight 20+ goal seasons including what is a potential 30+ goal season this time around.
I was seeing stone would want 9 and Duchene 8 for 8 years just took off a half because of the no state tax advantage. That's where thpse numbers came from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad