Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sorry but how is this any different from the names and teams that have been in the rumour mill ad nausium? Hardly any "inside" information here at all. Don't care who he is.

With all due respect, it says a few things.

One, that the Habs appear to want to hold on to Gallagher. We've seen a lot of posts here where Gallagher was being used as a piece in order to help land a centerman.

Two, it names Arizona as a particular suitor. They have not been as closely associated to the Habs in the rumor mill, as have other notables like Edmonton, Colorado and Minnesota.

Three, you're entitled not to care who he is. However, he is not Eklund, nor Pagnotta.

And finally, if you have a better or more credible rumor, please post it. I'm not the guy's agent, I couldn't care less.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
With all due respect, it says a few things.

One, that the Habs appear to want to hold on to Gallagher. We've seen a lot of posts here where Gallagher was being used as a piece in order to help land a centerman.

Two, it names Arizona as a particular suitor. They have not been as closely associated to the Habs in the rumor mill, as have other notables like Edmonton, Colorado and Minnesota.

Three, you're entitled not to care who he is. However, he is not Eklund, nor Pagnotta.

And finally, if you have a better or more credible rumor, please post it. I'm not the guy's agent, I couldn't care less.

The only "new" info he has is Arizona but gives no details.

I could easily could here and say Habs are in pursuit of Shaw Theodore from Vegas and have just as much credibility and more detailed info. Changes are in just as right as he is.

Just saying there's a lot of he said she said out there so when someone comes out with the same old trade rumours it seems to me more like they want to feel special and have some attention than having actual knowledge of what's going on. Hey, maybe he does know something, he just doesn't sound like someone who does with throwing in all the known junk in there.

By the way, Habs should defiantly be in on Theodore. Big, skilled D from BC to play with Weber. Ideal and we'd still have a **** ton of cap!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The only "new" info he has is Arizona but gives no details.

There is the matter of the Habs unwillingness to trade Gallagher, which your previous post has also not considered. It says something about who the GM values.

I could easily could here and say Habs are in pursuit of Shaw Theodore from Vegas and have just as much credibility and more detailed info. Changes are in just as right as he is.

You just did. You'll need a twitter account to make it look more official.

By the way, Habs should defiantly be in on Theodore. Big, skilled D from BC to play with Weber. Ideal and we'd still have a **** ton of cap!

OK, where did I hear this rumor before? :sarcasm:

Vegas has been pretty adamant about not being interested in dealing their young defensemen.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Because they will get less for him? I think you painted the picture perfectly.

Look when they traded Carter and Richards, the Flyers got great value but failed to benefit when that didn't translate on them becoming a better team and all they got to show for it for years was a losing experience.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Look when they traded Carter and Richards, the Flyers got great value but failed to benefit when that didn't translate on them becoming a better team and all they got to show for it for years was a losing experience.

I do not follow the correlation over what happened to this team in the past and how it will identically dictate the future.

They also traded Forsberg and an army of other things for Lindros, how does that correlate to them keeping or trading Giroux?

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I do not follow the correlation over what happened to this team in the past and how it will identically dictate the future.

They also traded Forsberg and an army of other things for Lindros, how does that correlate to them keeping or trading Giroux?

There's more harm then benefit in the short to medium term for Philly if they trade Giruox. I don't see why they'd be interested in doing anything other then fielding the best team they reasonably can and try to make the playoffs.

I agree with Philly fans, they should keep Giroux until the situation forces them to trade him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Don't Gallagher and Tatar have a similar offensive output? What would be the point?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
There is the matter of the Habs unwillingness to trade Gallagher, which your previous post has also not considered. It says something about who the GM values.

You just did. You'll need a twitter account to make it look more official.

OK, where did I hear this rumor before? :sarcasm:

Vegas has been pretty adamant about not being interested in dealing their young defensemen.

Thinking I'll open a twitter "hockey insider" account and post known trade rumors and add the occasional spicy lead on one a la Ek, and other "insiders" than charge member on my exclusive insider subscription. I'll make tens of dollars!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thinking I'll open a twitter "hockey insider" account and post known trade rumors and add the occasional spicy lead on one a la Ek, and other "insiders" than charge member on my exclusive insider subscription. I'll make tens of dollars!

Go for it. You'll need a black and white logo design that includes a question mark, like several of those self-proclaimed insiders you find on twitter.

Tens of dollars is right in the ballpark. :laugh:

ludwig

Dec 17, 2007
What about a deal to send Pleks to Arizona for Bolland's contract and then we just eat the salary? That way Arizona pays an extra 500K but gets a player who actually plays hockey and we free up some cap space a la Horton or Clarkson. The question then becomes, what do we do with all that cap space :sarcasm:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What about a deal to send Pleks to Arizona for Bolland's contract and then we just eat the salary? That way Arizona pays an extra 500K but gets a player who actually plays hockey and we free up some cap space a la Horton or Clarkson. The question then becomes, what do we do with all that cap space :sarcasm:

The problem with that, and you're seeing it with the Leafs, is you can't put a player on LTIR until the beginning of the season. So it would give the Habs $5.5m less during the summer period.

If they are throwing in Dvorak or a 1st, then sure. Otherwise there isn't a point.

ludwig

Dec 17, 2007
very true...i guess you can only go 10% over the cap at this time of year...just trying to find ways to get rid of Pleks, he can be serviceable, just not at 6MM.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Until we get a centre and while we have about $9M in cap space, why do we need to do this?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Until we get a centre and while we have about $9M in cap space, why do we need to do this?

Don't we still need some of that cap space for a first pairing D? Plus, adding a center, it may not be enough.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Don't we still need some of that cap space for a first pairing D? Plus, adding a center, it may not be enough.

We have $9M to sign Markov or someone similar which should leave $4M available. We'd have to trade for a centre at this point so some salary going the other way isn't going to be an issue as even entry level contracts would be about $1M anyways. Seeing as a few prospects a roster player, picks etc, the $4M in additional cap should suffice for the most part.

We have a lot of breathing room right now but sure, if we needed to make some more room I'm sure they could look at something like that but as for now, it's seems foolhardy to trade your *cough* best *cough* centre for space we don't seem to need right now.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I really wouldn't be shocked to see Arizona move out Strome. They are desperately weak on the wings, especially the right side. Sending him back to junior last year was strange for such a high pick. I know Arizona management went out of their way to say that Strome was part of their long term plans, but you have to think there is concern from their end. Certainly should be red flags from our end too. But he could be a risk well worth taking.

A budget conscious team that also looks to be trying to set up for a playoff run this year could definitely use an established NHL player at Gallaghers cap hit. Looking at their roster, I would think Plekanec at 50% would also be enticing.

I don't know that giving up Gallagher in such a risky trade would be something MB would be willing to partake in, but I can see how there would at least be some discussions.

The Habs are ready to compete with the right addition this year. Strome, though has a high ceiling won't be ready imo to step into the spotlight and pressure of filling in as the big center the habs have needed for decades.

Has to be a guy that is currently contributing in the NHL. I wouldn't be against a trade for Strome to make the team younger and stronger down the middle mid-term to long-term as long as that isn't the only addition to the center ice.

But if they could get a guy like Perreault out of the Peg and have him center Drouin and Galchenyuk while Danault stays with Pacioretty and maybe Lehkonen/Gallagher on the other line.

By no means is this stellar but Strome as secondary pickup would have likely crack the Habs lineup and have the chance to jump into one of those top center positions. But to have him as Plan A for this season just won't work imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad