Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We have $9M to sign Markov or someone similar which should leave $4M available. We'd have to trade for a centre at this point so some salary going the other way isn't going to be an issue as even entry level contracts would be about $1M anyways. Seeing as a few prospects a roster player, picks etc, the $4M in additional cap should suffice for the most part.

We have a lot of breathing room right now but sure, if we needed to make some more room I'm sure they could look at something like that but as for now, it's seems foolhardy to trade your *cough* best *cough* centre for space we don't seem to need right now.

Yeah, our *best* center can unfortunately only go the other way if another is coming back in the same deal or in a concomitant deal.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
True, that's a great stopgap in the interim.

If Bergevin has a trade in principle he wants to keep quite to shop Plex, then go for it. But why trade a centre when you already have a hole there in the hopes that you'll get cap relief you do't know you even need yet? There's better ways to go about it especially in the offsetting when you can sit on a trade indefinitely until you figure out things n your end, unlike the regular season when games are being played and players can get injured.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
If Bergevin has a trade in principle he wants to keep quite to shop Plex, then go for it. But why trade a centre when you already have a hole there in the hopes that you'll get cap relief you do't know you even need yet? There's better ways to go about it especially in the offsetting when you can sit on a trade indefinitely until you figure out things n your end, unlike the regular season when games are being played and players can get injured.

Yes but there would be no hole at 3C. It seems like we have lots of those. I don't think we lose much even if Plek gets traded without an immediate replacement.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

As much as I'd like to see an upgrade on Pleks, I totally agree that one can't happen by dealing Pleks too early. His replacement has to either be here already or on his way if and when Pleks is shipped out. Makes sense otherwise we're going to go through the same thing that happened when Bergevin saw LHDs leave the team in short order while their replacements were unknown. Not a great situation to be in.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Yes but there would be no hole at 3C. It seems like we have lots of those. I don't think we lose much even if Plek gets traded without an immediate replacement.

What id Danault gets injured? Who replaces him then?

Just don't see why you'd trade depth when there's absolutely no need to at this point.

As much as I'd like to see an upgrade on Pleks, I totally agree that one can't happen by dealing Pleks too early. His replacement has to either be here already or on his way if and when Pleks is shipped out. Makes sense otherwise we're going to go through the same thing that happened when Bergevin saw LHDs leave the team in short order while their replacements were unknown. Not a great situation to be in.

This.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
What id Danault gets injured? Who replaces him then?

Just don't see why you'd trade depth when there's absolutely no need to at this point.

This.

I don't think it's a great idea to pay a player $6 million to hang around just in case someone gets injured.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

Yet some people are convinced that MB offered GM a 2nd round pick to take Plekanec. According to MB the Habs center depth would be Danault, Shaw, Mitchell, McCarron?

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I don't think it's a great idea to pay a player $6 million to hang around just in case someone gets injured.

It is the last year of his contract. And he still plays important shutdown minutes.

It is a world of extremes not reality these days. The guy can certainly still chip in and help offensively while playing important defensive minutes and PK duties in lieu of what? Who?

McCarron? De La Rose? Who?

Right now the center depth is Danault - Plekanec - ? - ?

There are people suggesting Drouin centers that is how desperate people are. The guy is a winger!

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
It is the last year of his contract. And he still plays important shutdown minutes.

It is a world of extremes not reality these days. The guy can certainly still chip in and help offensively while playing important defensive minutes and PK duties in lieu of what? Who?

McCarron? De La Rose? Who?

Right now the center depth is Danault - Plekanec - ? - ?

There are people suggesting Drouin centers that is how desperate people are. The guy is a winger!

As it stands right now, the Habs almost have to play AG at center - so centre depth is AG - Danault - Plek - Mitchell/DLR/whoever.

Put DLR in Plek's spot on the third line and you're not giving up much. Or pick up a 3rd line C - they're not nearly as difficult to find as a top 6 C.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
As it stands right now, the Habs almost have to play AG at center - so centre depth is AG - Danault - Plek - Mitchell/DLR/whoever.

Put DLR in Plek's spot on the third line and you're not giving up much. Or pick up a 3rd line C - they're not nearly as difficult to find as a top 6 C.

I wouldn't mind 2 years of Fischer to replace Pleks

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Yes but I prefer 1 year and none of the 2 after that

Plekanec is not going anywhere, there are no teams out there that would pick him at 6 million and we can use him for depth. He doesn't need to play 20+ minutes a night here. 3rd line and let him leave after this season.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Plekanec to DLR is a massive downgrade. DLR hasn't shown enough to be an NHLer, let alone centering a scoring line. And if you're looking for a C on the UFA market, you're best option is, no joke, probably Ryan White. Bonino just got 4.1 mil a year.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

Who would want Plek's contract? Plus he is an RFA next year. If he is traded the habs would have to pick up most of his salary as no one else is stupid enough to pay him 6 mil. So you wouldn't gain that much cap space anyway. As people have said its just not worth it to lose depth at a position you can't afford to lose depth at.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Who would want Plek's contract? Plus he is an RFA next year. If he is traded the habs would have to pick up most of his salary as no one else is stupid enough to pay him 6 mil. So you wouldn't gain that much cap space anyway. As people have said its just not worth it to lose depth at a position you can't afford to lose depth at.

UFA, not RFA.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Lol even Plekanec got a goal in just a 6 game terrible offensive series. Fisher didn't even get a goal as a 2C and later 1C in a Cup Finals run. He's far more done than Plekanec.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

I understand that nobody likes Plekanec but DLR replacing him got to be a joke.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yet some people are convinced that MB offered GM a 2nd round pick to take Plekanec. According to MB the Habs center depth would be Danault, Shaw, Mitchell, McCarron?

Has to be the worst center talent in the NHL.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Unless we need additional cap space there is no point to trade Pleks.

Sure if MB got Duchene or Giroux then move Pleks out. As of now there is no reason to do so. And Pleks had a horrible season last year, 2 years ago he had 54 points. Before that he had like 7 20Goal seasons. Maybe he is done, but I think he deserves a shot at bouncing back.

Habs have 9 Mill in space there is no reason to create another 6 for it to just sit there. By years end Pleks contract will be done. No reason to move him unless another team makes a great offer or we need cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad