Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Jeezus.

Yes, Laine is a strong PP threat. Now for the rest of the truth.

Laine had 15 even strength goals in 82 games.

Andrew Shaw had 16 even strength goals in 63 games.

Laine was a friggin' MINUS-24 on a good team!!!

He's moody and apparently greedy, and coming off his worst season. He had a total of 9 goals in 58 games after November 29th, and was a DETRIMENT to the team as they went down the stretch to try to win the division. After February 28th, he had 1 goal in 19 games, and zero at ES. He had a far worse stretch from December onwards than Jonathan Drouin, whom everyone is dumping on here.

Please do not mention him in the same sentence as McDavid.

Laine was injured played with a back injury last year...

I will mention him in the same breath as McDavid cause he got the same amount of goals as McDavid does ,maybe even more so far...McDavid plays what 22+ min a game? Laine plays avg 17+ minutes a game...

.and truth be told , he probably might score more goals than McDavid in his career.

For me ,it's Laine...period

McDavid 287 games 128 goals ...played an avg 21.22 minutes a game in his 287 games

Laine 237 games 110 goals...played an avg of 17.11 minutes a game over his 237 games..

I say Laine is ahead of McDavid (goal scoring)

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Laine was injured played with a back injury last year...

I will mention him in the same breath as McDavid cause he got the same amount of goals as McDavid does ,maybe even more so far...McDavid plays what 22+ min a game? Laine plays avg 17+ minutes a game...

.and truth be told , he probably might score more goals than McDavid in his career.

For me ,it's Laine...period

McDavid 287 games 128 goals ...played an avg 21.22 minutes a game in his 287 games

Laine 237 games 110 goals...played an avg of 17.11 minutes a game over his 237 games..

I say Laine is ahead of McDavid (goal scoring)
Even if I play along and accept that a guy played 82 games while injured for a lot of it, I still don't want to pay $10-$11M for this injured guy who could not get a point to save his life while watching the back of his own team's net fill up for most of the season.

The risk might be worth it at a medium salary, but not at top-6 in the league money plus 4 1st round picks.

Reactions: DAChampion

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Even if I play along and accept that a guy played 82 games while injured for a lot of it, I still don't want to pay $10-$11M for this injured guy who could not get a point to save his life while watching the back of his own team's net fill up for most of the season.

The risk might be worth it at a medium salary, but not at top-6 in the league money plus 4 1st round picks.

I'm not talking offer sheeting him and losing 4th 1st round picks....I talk about trading for him....

The guy played 3 yrs in the Nhl ,73 games 82 games and 82 game...missed 9 games total ...

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If you can get Laine, you do it, no questions asked. This is overthinking it like with those who wanted nothing to do with ROR or Kessel because of karakter.
Yes, Laine has greater than zero value, but the risk is too big to spend $10-$11M per year plus lose four first round picks.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not talking offer sheeting him and losing 4th 1st round picks....I talk about trading for him....

The guy played 3 yrs in the Nhl ,73 games 82 games and 82 game...missed 9 games total ...
OK, that could be considered. What would you offer?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Apparently he missed 58 games last year. Bad back. His ghost was in the lineup, not him.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Yes, Laine has greater than zero value, but the risk is too big to spend $10-$11M per year plus lose four first round picks.
Without risks, you won't go anywhere as a team. Clock is ticking with Price and Weber getting up there in age. We have no other option this year or it's another wasted year for them. We won't select a guy like Laine next draft given how good our team is and there is nobody who can match him in our pipeline so yeah...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
For any not wanting Laine(which is hard to even comprehend) but let this sink in ...

Connor McDavid has played a total of 6131 minutes on the ice

Patrik Laine has played a total of 4072 minutes on the ice

McDavid 128 goals
Laine 110 goals

McDavid has played over 2000 minutes more than Patrick Laine,but is only 18 goals ahead of Laine ....

If Habs get Laine...he won't be a 17 min a night guy like he is in Winnipeg...he'll be a 21 minute a night guy in Montreal.

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The only thing that sort of turns me off acquiring Laine is that long term, our RW is filled with scorers (Suzuki, Caufield, Gallagher) so there won't be enough rooms for all these players but this far from a bad problem to have.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
You go the next tier or it's a waste of time.

Exactly, but I wouldn’t go above 10M$ per (5 years).

A trade might be a better option considering that the Jets are looking to compete now.

They would likely want Gallagher as the centerpiece of a package, but I wouldn’t do it. Gally is the heart and soul of our team while Laine, despite all the talent he has, comes with question marks regarding his consistency and attitude.

I wonder if they could be interested in Laine and Perreault for Drouin, Danault, Mete and 2020 1st.

The way I see it, Drouin would be a replacement for Laine at about 60% of the cap hit, Danault is younger, cheaper and an upgrade over Perreault, while Mete could be a nice add for them considering all the defensemen they lost in the summer. The first could complete the gap.

Obviously, I would prefer to move Juulsen over Mete considering the hole it would create on the left side but I don’t think they would be interested with Niku and Pionk already on their roster.

We would then have to move Suzuki and a NHL contract (likely Byron or Perreault) for a top 4 LHD.

On a side note, I don’t really think this offer would get it done. But it would likely be the most I would do.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
OK, that could be considered. What would you offer?

If you're trading for Laine, and indeed if his contract demand is 10.5mill ...the return the Jets will get is not goona be super huge...

You definitely have to start with a first round pick no question...then a player...and whatever else etc..

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Exactly, but I wouldn’t go above 10M$ per (5 years).

A trade might be a better option considering that the Jets are looking to compete now.

They would likely want Gallagher as the centerpiece of a package, but I wouldn’t do it. Gally is the heart and soul of our team while Laine, despite all the talent he has, comes with question marks regarding his consistency and attitude.

I wonder if they could be interested in Laine and Perreault for Drouin, Danault, Mete and 2020 1st.

The way I see it, Drouin would be a replacement for Laine at about 60% of the cap hit, Danault is younger, cheaper and an upgrade over Perreault, while Mete could be a nice add for them considering all the defensemen they lost in the summer. The first could complete the gap.

Obviously, I would prefer to move Juulsen over Mete considering the hole it would create on the left side but I don’t think they would be interested with Niku and Pionk already on their roster.

We would then have to move Suzuki and a NHL contract (likely Byron or Perreault) for a top 4 LHD.

On a side note, I don’t really think this offer would get it done. But it would likely be the most I would do.
If they go down that road, I think they'd rather dump Little in the trade. He's declined big time a la Plekanec. I wouldn't mind trying to get them to add Roslovic in the deal too.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Jeezus.

Yes, Laine is a strong PP threat. Now for the rest of the truth.

Laine had 15 even strength goals in 82 games.

Andrew Shaw had 16 even strength goals in 63 games.

Laine was a friggin' MINUS-24 on a good team!!!

He's moody and apparently greedy, and coming off his worst season. He had a total of 9 goals in 58 games after November 29th, and was a DETRIMENT to the team as they went down the stretch to try to win the division. After February 28th, he had 1 goal in 19 games, and zero at ES. He had a far worse stretch from December onwards than Jonathan Drouin, whom everyone is dumping on here.

Please do not mention him in the same sentence as McDavid.

I remember when Habs fans had the same reaction to Ovechkin rumours.

Jul 6, 2016
For any not wanting Laine(which is hard to even comprehend) but let this sink in ...

McDavid 128 goals
Laine 110 goals

McDavid has played over 2000 minutes more than Patrick Laine,but is only 18 goals ahead of Laine ....

If Habs get Laine...he won't be a 17 min a night guy like he is in Winnipeg...he'll be a 21 minute a night guy in Montreal.

Laine might be an offensive force but also a defensive black hole. You don't give 21 minutes to these guys.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Laine might be an offensive force but also a defensive black hole. You don't give 21 minutes to these guys.

well that does it...send him to Laval....:D

Nick Cousins can fill in for him,we'd never miss Laine i bet...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

McDavid 128 goals
Laine 110 goals

I want Laine, and I’d consider giving him $9m AAV, but I do have to say there is no comparison between McDavid and Laine. Yes, McDavid has had more ice time and despite Laine’s injuries last year, there is a reason why McDavid plays more; he simply does more.

Laine is an elite goal scorer and he’d be a heck of a triggerman for us. Imagine if we have him and Caufield (assuming he develops as hoped)? Our PP would be ridiculous.

However, McDavid is generational. I know you’ve pointed out the goal scoring as the main point, but I still wouldn’t even compare the two. McDavid is an offense driver. While he does have more goals than Laine despite playing a lot more minutes, how about everyone else? I didn’t look at numbers but I think players around McDavid score a lot more. Plus, in regards to goal scoring, McDavid has almost twice as many game winning goals. McDavid also scores 22% more at even strength.

Too bad it all stops with McDavid and he can’t play 60 minutes.

Anyhow, I don’t think anyone will deny Laine is a great goal scorer, but he is no McDavid. Yes, Winnipeg has more depth than Edmonton which affects Laine’s ice time, but when it comes down to needing a goal when it matters, I know who I am counting on.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I doubt Laine is happening. Jets had no leverage in the Trouba deal and part of it was because they wanted to avoid being offersheeted.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

He has a point.

Laine has some red flags as he doesn't come to play every night and I am not crazy about paying a winger 10M.

I am not saying that it wouldn't be a tough call but I wouldn't dismiss the other poster's concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad