Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I doubt Laine is happening. Jets had no leverage in the Trouba deal and part of it was because they wanted to avoid being offersheeted.

Jets have 15 men signed and $22M in cap with Laine and Conner to sign them and 6 others. They may have the money to match but the reality is they really don’t unless they want to play 5 AHLers in their lineup which bumps them out of being contenders.

Much smarter to trade a prime asset for some affordable roster players that address needs like Danault and Juulsen as well as stocking up on cheap prospects and picks.

That’s why it makes a ton of sense for them to trade Laine to try and stay competitive like Chicago did. I’d say they’re probably looking at guys like Danault, Juulsen and perhaps a Canfield or Suzuki. Cheap add bodies and keeps them competitive.

Laine will be traded. Question is whether we get him or someone else. I suspect Bergevins relationship with Cheveldayov gives us the advantage in that we’re going for Laine and not headhunting for Connor like other teams would be. Faster they trade Laine, the better sheltered they are against an OS for Conner. I’d expect the trade to be announced once Carolina officially matches on Monday afternoon leaving us with the assets and cap to sign Laine.

Fingers crossed!

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

McDavid 27 game winning goals
Laine 16 game winning goals

McDavid has played 2000+ more minutes of ice time than Laine has....so are they really that far apart on GWG totals?

To be handed Laine who just turned 21 yr old..that's an absloute game changer for Montreal.

Last edited:

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Carey Price says no with an emphatic body check.

Still milking that one I see, lol. Honestly, you would think and know differently of Kreider if he was on your roster.
Again, I don't know what Montreal's needs are and I'm not here to start anything. I was simply hoping for a somewhat genuine answer if there's any interest in him.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
He has a point.

Laine has some red flags as he doesn't come to play every night and I am not crazy about paying a winger 10M.

I am not saying that it wouldn't be a tough call but I wouldn't dismiss the other poster's concerns.

Wanting 10M$ is one thing, and for now, just a rumor.

But saying Laine don't even worth Suzuki is nothing else than blatant homerism.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoQuinn and Snowman

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

McDavid has played 2000+ more minutes of ice time than Laine has....so are they really that far apart on GWG totals?

To be handed Laine who just turned 21 yr old..that's an absloute game changer for Montreal.

It’s more about how McDavid plays in more situations and does more on the ice for his team. I get he has a lot more minutes than Laine and proportionately maybe doesn’t score as much, but he drives a lot more offense; his assists reflect that.

Anyhow, not disputing Laine would look great in a Habs jersey.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Still milking that one I see, lol. Honestly, you would think and know differently of Kreider if he was on your roster.
Again, I don't know what Montreal's needs are and I'm not here to start anything. I was simply hoping for a somewhat genuine answer if there's any interest in him.

He would make for a good addition. Some needed size upfront. Would NYR move him for picks and prospects. Like 2 2nds or a 2nd and a mid-tier prospect.

Reactions: charliemurphy

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
For any not wanting Laine(which is hard to even comprehend) but let this sink in ...

Connor McDavid has played a total of 6131 minutes on the ice

Patrik Laine has played a total of 4072 minutes on the ice

McDavid 128 goals
Laine 110 goals

McDavid has played over 2000 minutes more than Patrick Laine,but is only 18 goals ahead of Laine ....

If Habs get Laine...he won't be a 17 min a night guy like he is in Winnipeg...he'll be a 21 minute a night guy in Montreal.

For the bolded no he won't, Claude prefers to roll 4 lines because of the system he utilizes is very demanding. Moreover, Laine is atrocious defensively and claude isn't a guy to play a player like that over 20mins. No forward on the habs even played 18min. The highest where centers, led by Danault who is the shutdown defensive center of the team.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
It’s more about how McDavid plays in more situations and does more on the ice for his team. I get he has a lot more minutes than Laine and proportionately maybe doesn’t score as much, but he drives a lot more offense; his assists reflect that.

Anyhow, not disputing Laine would look great in a Habs jersey.

yup, will never get McDaivd...

Laine 110 goals - 66 even strength - 44 on Powerplay....

So we are killin 2 birds with one stone here...

Our PP is dead..it's a butt of jokes....Laine for next 14 yrs should help that..lol

Both are different style players,no question McDaivd a high flyer end to end more flashy type of guy.... ...but production wise not much difference between the two at all....and Laine is 1+ yrs younger than McDavid...

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
For the bolded no he won't, Claude prefers to roll 4 lines because of the system he utilizes is very demanding. Moreover, Laine is atrocious defensively and claude isn't a guy to play a player like that over 20mins. No forward on the habs even played 18min. The highest where centers, led by Danault who is the shutdown defensive center of the team.

Claude's time in MTL is nearing an end...father time....goin for 60 yrs old end of this season.

The new young coach taking over will be running the team ...If Laine comes here...for next 14 yrs....he wont be with CJ long.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

It is a genuine answer. Price and Weber are the leaders of this team and if Price doesn't want him, it's a no-go.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
He would make for a good addition. Some needed size upfront. Would NYR move him for picks and prospects. Like 2 2nds or a 2nd and a mid-tier prospect.

I would think Gorton would ask for a 1st and a mid-tier prospect or depending on the prospect perhaps just the one top prospect although we just dealt a couple of 2nds. In all honesty I wouldn't rule out Gorton adding to Kreider if it meant going after a specific prospect. Despite what folks on the main boards say, the Rangers aren't looking to make a run at things for at least a couple of seasons. The only reason I'm curious is because Montreal has really good depth at center (some would say a little too much, lol) and wondering if anything can be done with something based around Kreider as it looks as if he won't be part of NY's future.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

"Handed"? Yeah SURE.

Trade for him? OK it's possible, but what would you give? I asked earlier, not sure if I missed the reply.

Danault, Juulsen and a first-rounder? Ok. Drouin instead of Danault? Ok. Fleury instead of Juulsen, also ok. Brook as the D to give? All right, but downgrade one of the other two assets, maybe Lehkonen or a second instead of a first (since I see Juulsen as a re-draft 2nd and Brook as a re-draft first).

And I'd be ok with paying Laine some Drouin type money on a 2-year deal but not over $5-6M considering his horrible finish last year. The short deal gives Laine a chance to earn more on his next contract.

If he really wants 7 years badly, it would have to be a lower cap hit. A shorter term is probably best for both sides.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would think Gorton would ask for a 1st and a mid-tier prospect or depending on the prospect perhaps just the one top prospect although we just dealt a couple of 2nds.

It'll never happen. MB has never dealt a first round pick but if he were to, it would be in a package for a much better player than Kreider.

Plus, I'd hate to see MB deal with a shark like Gorton -- MB would get taken to the cleaners.

Please, go take advantage of some other team.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
It is a genuine answer. Price and Weber are the leaders of this team and if Price doesn't want him, it's a no-go.

Yeah, that was definitely not a genuine answer but no worries, some other Montreal fans can jump in but thanks for the locker room insight on the team dynamics.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah, that was definitely not a genuine answer but no worries, some other Montreal fans can jump in but thanks for the locker room insight on the team dynamics.

You're welcome, Charlie.

giphy.gif

Reactions: charliemurphy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad