Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I always get confused when people say they want to improve our D and then propose trades for Ghost.

I'm not.

I've already asked twice in this thread for someone to rate how much of a defensive liability Ghost is and no one is able to answer. Essentially, fans seem to be focusing on his puck moving skills and his offence. Clearly, we're working with an incomplete description but no one cares.

Reactions: Habs Icing

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I'm not.

I've already asked twice in this thread for someone to rate how much of a defensive liability Ghost is and no one is able to answer. Essentially, fans seem to be focusing on his puck moving skills and his offence. Clearly, we're working with an incomplete description but no one cares.
As I already said, the idea that Gostisbehere is worse defensively than Gardiner is based entirely on his height. He's not as bad defensively as people are pretending, he does a good job of keeping people to the outside on the rush, has good gap control, and a good stick. His issue is, naturally, down low and in front of the net, but he's Gardiner's equal in that regard and superior in the other aspects.

Reactions: Runner77

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Gallagher is going to be here long-term. This isn’t NHL 19. Gallagher is loved by management, his teammates and the fans. You don’t trade guys like that. It would asinine.
I know this isn't a popular opinion, but my reaction when Gallagher signed his current deal was 'Great. And let him walk when that deal is over.' Of course everybody likes Gallagher's effort, heart, drive etc, not to mention the 30 goals. But I'd be very concerned about what he'd bring at age 29-30-31-32 on his next contract. He takes so much abuse, especially for his size. I think there's a risk that BG might deteriorate rapidly.

Habs went through this 10 years ago. They signed Gionta, another scrappy goal scorer who stuck his nose in the dirty areas and played way above his weight class. His contract was 5X5M (about 9% of cap, so about 7-7.5M vs. today's cap). And Montreal got about 2.5 decent years out of 5 on that contract. By the end of it, Gionta was barely a replacement player, between injuries and the fact that the wear and tear sapped him.

I'd strongly consider trading Gallagher before his last year, he'd fetch a very high return. And I admire what he's accomplished and all the work he clearly puts in, but I'd rather somebody else give him his next contract at 7+M.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Vegas is actually considering to trade Karlsson we should go for it.

Drouin and the 15th pick for Karlsson?

Why?

Gardiner would be a +45 point defensmen if he was playing with Weber 82 games a year.

I don't believe so. Gardiner might help our PP to some degree but that is about it. He's not a smart puck mover and he makes stupid mistakes like Beauleau. I pass on Gardiner unless he is interested in a one year prove it contract where he wants to sign with the Habs and stick it to the Leafs. But I am not interested in term with Gardiner. It's very risky

Was always in favour of a Danault/Karlsson swap. I think they’d listen.

That would be insane if we can pull off a swap like this. We would be ripping the Knights off two years in a row. I doubt this happens lol

Instead of getting ghost, just play Drouin on defense. It shouldnt make that much of a difference and we stay younger

Good point! :laugh:

I'm not.

He's not terrible in his own end but it's certainly not his strength. +/- and how it looks with all their D that has played 100 games over the last few seasons. He is a offensive type and produces on the PP.

SC1sXx8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Runner77

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That would be insane if we can pull off a swap like this. We would be ripping the Knights off two years in a row. I doubt this happens lol

Don’t see why they wouldn’t listen. Danault does a lot of good things and can chip in. Only makes $3M per year for two years. Karlsson is going to want $7M+ long term. It fits with their window of Max and Stastny.

But the Habs can go after Marchessault instead, giving Vegas the room to re-sign Karlsson.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Drouin and the 15th pick for Karlsson?

Do you think Drouin is a throw in? I’m confused at the ridiculously high cost for Karlsson. He had one insanely good year in Vegas’ Cinderella run but other wise hasn’t even out performed Drouin and is 3 years older than he is. I’m not sure I’d trade them one for one much less add our 15th OA pick.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sorry man. I can't say I agree. I feel like we were watching different teams lol, because when we started coming down the stretch Weber was fantastic. I noticed a couple games here and there throughout the season when he wasn't very good. Much more when he was very good and lime I said, excellent when it seemed to really be on the line. The guys a gamer. Absolutely stud. I don't know if he'll ever be fully appreciated. Probably not.
Like to see Romanov paired with Weber. Feel he can make NHL, at high level. If Mete can make the jump at 19? Romanov is much more skilled. Usually they go onto better careers and mature quicker paired with a savvy veteran.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Like to see Romanov paired with Weber. Feel he can make NHL, at high level. If Mete can make the jump at 19? Romanov is much more skilled. Usually they go onto better careers and mature quicker paired with a savvy veteran.
but he's under contract until 2021 so that's not going to happen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Too rich for me if that's the cost.

He's a #1C isn't he?

Do you think Drouin is a throw in? I’m confused at the ridiculously high cost for Karlsson. He had one insanely good year in Vegas’ Cinderella run but other wise hasn’t even out performed Drouin and is 3 years older than he is. I’m not sure I’d trade them one for one much less add our 15th OA pick.

I would think they value him as a #1C? And no, Drouin is not a throw in. If we can get him for Drouin and two 2nd's, so be it! I doubt they do Danault for Karlsson straight up.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not a consistent one like Sterling Archer said he had one big year and then fell off a bit not worth the cost if they're basing it on that outlier year.

Everyone on Vegas had a down year though. They were plagued with injuries and couldn’t get a consistent lineup.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I would think they value him as a #1C? And no, Drouin is not a throw in. If we can get him for Drouin and two 2nd's, so be it! I doubt they do Danault for Karlsson straight up.

We don’t need that and he’s hardly the no.1 C difference maker we’d want, even if we did. Domi did fat better and without a Danault, KK, Poehling et al. we’re far from needing Karlsson in our roster. We need an elite scoring winger and a PMLD, if which he’s neither. So why would we blow two premium assets for a guy who wouldn’t even be a top center on our team and addresses no needs?

Sorry but it’s a completely pointless trade that only hurts us.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not a consistent one like Sterling Archer said he had one big year and then fell off a bit not worth the cost if they're basing it on that outlier year.

I doubt they are willing to take Danault as the primary piece though. I think Karlsson value would be 22-35 goals, 60-70 pts center value. They won't be trading him for cheap IMO. They will move other players before they move Karlsson to for cheap to fit under the cap.

Would you trade Poehling, Byron, and a 2nd for him? What kind of contract would you give Karlsson?

Domi / Karlsson / Shaw
Drouin / Danault / Gallagher
Tatar / Kotkaniemi / Suzuki
Lehkonen / Thompson / Armia
Weal

We don’t need that and he’s hardly the no.1 C difference maker we’d want, even if we did. Domi did fat better and without a Danault, KK, Poehling et al. we’re far from needing Karlsson in our roster. We need an elite scoring winger and a PMLD, if which he’s neither. So why would we blow two premium assets for a guy who wouldn’t even be a top center on our team and addresses no needs?

Sorry but it’s a completely pointless trade that only hurts us.

I would be in on Karlsson if they were willing to trade him for fair value cause they have cap issues. Karlsson fits our team needs and the style of game we play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad