Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If it were Gardiner at 4-5M for next 4 years, you'd be absolutely right.

Reality is that Gardiner is one of the top 2-3 UFA Dmen available, & should be able to parlay that into 5-7yrs @ 7-8M/year (given his age, production & thin pool of UFA Dmen).

Both players have flaws, but Ghost's contract is far more manageable.

That difference is worth the trade currency required imo bc we'd be filling a long term need (top 4 LD) while keeping cap flexibility for further upgrades now or in near future.

Don't think flyers bite on Drouin, but that would of course be ideal.
Tatar, Byron, Shaw... If we can move from our depth of top-9 fwds to fill the LD hole then it's a good reallocation of assets.

I don’t necessarily think so regarding the bit on Gardiner. The defence pool last season was even thinner and guys like De Haan, Cole, Green didn’t get outlandish contracts.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Taking that into consideration, is it worth giving up the assets it would take to get Ghost instead of signing Gardiner who would cost zero assets and use the assets you'd want to acquire Ghost on an offensive forward instead. That makes a hell of a lot more sense to me.

They should go after the d-man they like more. If that's Ghost, spend to get him, then fill hole in FA market.

You suggest signing Gardiner and using assets to acquire offensive forward. Instead, the Habs could trade assets for Ghost, and sign someone like Lee for 7M.

Just like the "sign Gardiner" plan, it's also 7M spent in free agency, assets spent, and a scoring forward acquired. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The flyers want to win now so if they trade Ghost or whoever, it's very likely going to be for something that will help them win games next season. It won't be for futures most likely.

They are asking for a top 4RD or a top 2C which won't happen for Gost IMO. There will be interest with Gost but no team will given them a proven top 4RD or a top 2C. They are the two hardest things to acquire in a trade today.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
They should go after the d-man they like more. If that's Ghost, spend to get him, then fill hole in FA market.

You suggest signing Gardiner and using assets to acquire offensive forward. Instead, the Habs could trade assets for Ghost, and sign someone like Lee for 7M.

Just like the "sign Gardiner" plan, it's also 7M spent in free agency, assets spent, and a scoring forward acquired. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I've made the same point you made about different options this summer so I agree with what you posted. This post was in specifically in regards to this situation of Ghost v Gardiner and the love one seems to be getting and the assets willing to spend on him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They are asking for a top 4RD or a top 2C which won't happen for Gost IMO. There will be interest with Gost but no team will given them a proven top 4RD or a top 2C. They are the two hardest things to acquire in a trade today.

they have the players to get the help they need but the question is how willing are they to do so? I live in the area and there is a lot of pressure due to other sports teams becoming repeat playoff contenders. So it will likely come down to what price they are willing to pay. They can float the name of Ghost but if they are serious and really want to contend then they may need to up the ante and offer one or two of Sanheim, Provorov, Patrick, Frost, Ratcliffe. That should certainly get them something of very good value but would they be willing to do it, we'll see. Certainly they and the panthers should be 2 teams that will be interesting to see what they do this off-season.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

The problem is, unless you bring in a guy like Karlsson, Petry isn't really replacable from a win-now perspective.

Even after Weber came back, Petry was Montreal's most important D-man. Move him in a deal for Gostisbehere and:

1) You're putting way to much pressure on a 34 year old Weber.

2) Assuming Gostisbehere plays with Weber, you're hollowing out Montreal's D-core significantly (a 2nd pair of Kulak/Mete-Juulsen/Fleury/whoever else in the system is worse than what Montreal has right now).

3) You're making the D weaker overall. ATM Petry is much better than Gostisbehere. And now you have to find a RHD, which is even harder than finding a LHD.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
they have the players to get the help they need but the question is how willing are they to do so? I live in the area and there is a lot of pressure due to other sports teams becoming repeat playoff contenders. So it will likely come down to what price they are willing to pay. They can float the name of Ghost but if they are serious and really want to contend then they may need to up the ante and offer one or two of Sanheim, Provorov, Patrick, Frost, Ratcliffe. That should certainly get them something of very good value but would they be willing to do it, we'll see. Certainly they and the panthers should be 2 teams that will be interesting to see what they do this off-season.

I think they should go all in on Trouba. If they can use futures to make this happen, that fits. Gost+ for Trouba might work for both teams

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don’t do it

Not sure they'd want a defenseman in return. The reason they're moving Ghost is because they have depth in the back end. I would think they'd look for a forward in the deal.

I'd be very hesitant if Romanov is who they're asking for.

I agree he won't be cheap but i highly doubt the Flyers are looking for futures right now.
Probably are looking for young established players at this point.

The flyers want to win now so if they trade Ghost or whoever, it's very likely going to be for something that will help them win games next season. It won't be for futures most likely.
My point was that it wont be cheap. Even if they dont want Romanov+15th, it would have to be something around that kind of value. If they want assets that will make them competitive now, it will hurt our roster even more.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think they should go all in on Trouba. If they can use futures to make this happen, that fits. Gost+ for Trouba might work for both teams

I could see them wanting Trouba as he would likely be exactly what they are looking for.

My point was that it wont be cheap. Even if they dont want Romanov+15th, it would have to be something around that kind of value. If they want assets that will make them competitive now, it will hurt our roster even more.

yes it won't be cheap, if I were the Habs I would take the hit now to be better later. If I could get Sanheim or Provorov in some kind of package where we give up veteran roster players that I would deem most likely not to be here when we hopefully finally were a contender, then I would do it but don't think the Habs will. But then again who knows what MB is thinking about doing, what direction he wants to go in.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
yes it won't be cheap, if I were the Habs I would take the hit now to be better later. If I could get Sanheim or Provorov in some kind of package where we give up veteran roster players that I would deem most likely not to be here when we hopefully finally were a contender, then I would do it but don't think the Habs will. But then again who knows what MB is thinking about doing, what direction he wants to go in.
Provorov isn't going anywhere. The kid is a stud. I was asking for Sanheim for a while and wanted to trade for him when his value was a lot lower. I'd still like to trade for him, but he would cost a fortune.

Reactions: Vachon23

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don’t necessarily think so regarding the bit on Gardiner. The defence pool last season was even thinner and guys like De Haan, Cole, Green didn’t get outlandish contracts.

If you consider Gardiner in that class of equivalent, then sure, smaller cap hit.... I seriously doubt Gardiner or his agent would agree. Time will tell, but I'd be shocked to see him sign for less than 6.5M, with 7-8M far more likely imo.

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
What do you guys think of :

8 overall (if Caufield is still available) + Lucic (cap dump)
vs
2rd/3rd (depending of the player or prospect) + Lehkonen or a prospect like Fleury/Ylonen/Juulsen

Then we draft Caufield and a D like Broberg/York and our two biggest weakness shall be solved if they develop well.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

vs
2rd/3rd (depending of the player or prospect) + Lehkonen or a prospect like Fleury/Ylonen/Juulsen

Then we draft Caufield and a D like Broberg/York and our two biggest weakness shall be solved if they develop well.

I think you're severely underestimating what a problem Lucic's contract is.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Ryan Murray is an interesting target. He's a solid top 4 that can really skate. And we have a lot of what I would think Columbus would be looking for - draft picks.

I would look at something like Shaw + 2nd + 5th. Not sure if Shaw's a great target but he seems like a Torts kind of guy and is arguably expendable.

Reactions: Talent Analyst

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

vs

Serious over-payment.

If the Oilers want to rid themselves of that albatross contract, it's Lucic & 8th OA for Pezzetta or Waked. Hell, I'll be generous. Throw both of them in the deal.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He is someone I'm sure they would want, maybe a little older then they would like but I know I heard they want an experienced top 4 RD to help with the young D they have. I don't think the Habs will trade Petry though.
I’m convinced they won’t.....to me, it’s all based off Juulsen’s and Brook’s development......at the earliest it would be trade deadline but that would also tie in their standings slot in February.

If they are far from the playoffs and Juulsen and Brook are a lock, then I see Petry being dealt.

If they are ready but habs are in a playoff hunt, he goes in the summer.

If one of the two is not ready, he stays, unless of course they are way out of 8th

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nope, I’d be super hesitant in trading for him as well. Very high cost and poor defensively.

How bad are Ghost's defensive shortcomings? Would they be significant enough that Julien might not trust him?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

vs

I would be all over getting 8th OA for lucy but I wouldn't want to give up too much for taking on such terrible contract, hard to say what though as the contract will cause problems by the time the expansion draft gets here.

I’m convinced they won’t.....to me, it’s all based off Juulsen’s and Brook’s development......at the earliest it would be trade deadline but that would also tie in their standings slot in February.

If they are far from the playoffs and Juulsen and Brook are a lock, then I see Petry being dealt.

If they are ready but habs are in a playoff hunt, he goes in the summer.

If one of the two is not ready, he stays, unless of course they are way out of 8th

I have a hard time seeing MB trading Petry but I assume that his production is going to drop a decent amount if his production from Jan on is any indication. That said it's too bad Juulsen was injured as had he not and had he done a good job perhaps they would feel more comfortable trading him now if they got an offer they really felt they couldn't turn down. Say the panthers load up and want to take on TB, they offer Borgstrom and their 1st for Petry +, now I don't think they would do it but if Juulsen was there all year and playing well with Brook incoming they might have been more inclined if they really are looking to build through the draft and wait for the prospects/youth to get here.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Bergevin needs to be on 2 of Zaitsev, Marleau, Horton, Clarkson, Phaneuf, Callahan and Hanzal. Trade them away with retantion if needed and acquire prospects and picks. I would even go for Lucic and buy him out right before the expansion draft.

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
Bergevin needs to be on 2 of Zaitsev, Marleau, Horton, Clarkson, Phaneuf, Callahan and Hanzal. Trade them away with retantion if needed and acquire prospects and picks. I would even go for Lucic and buy him out right before the expansion draft.
Buying out Lucic would be painful, especially on the long term if you want to pay guys like Domi, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki(?), etc. + Price and Weber

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Buying out Lucic would be painful, especially on the long term if you want to pay guys like Domi, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki(?), etc. + Price and Weber
I think we should be trading Gallagher on the last year of his contract, which is right before the expansion draft. Who knows if Kotkaniemi will command 6+ mil in 2 years. I strongly believe that we need more assets and that the "reset" isnt over just yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: the
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad