Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don’t really think players care where they play and live. I think the wives care, they are the ones living there all year long with the kids. And very rarely are anglophone players going to marry Québécois women. The ones that are not from Quebec probably have these poor preconceptions that it’s necessary to be francophone in this city.

For a period of my life I had jobs(by coincidence) that had me speaking english. My school was english. At home I spoke english. My friends spoke english. I actually went by speaking french only at the drive thru window when getting an ice cap from tim hortons. It wasn't intentional, montreal is just bilingual and certain areas are more anglophone and others more francophone. Besides...most wives hang out together so they already have like 5-10 friends who speak their language as soon as they come here. With the husband making millions it's not like they're at work locally where you need to be bilingual either. My guess is if you have the capital and means to do so you're more likely to have a part time 'work from home'/business than go work for relative peanuts with someone else.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I dont understand how someone would choose to live in NY out of all city. Its like MTL but with more concrete and more people. It would drive me freaking insane.

Even then, with the internet, you can order anything you want anytime. Montréal is nice because you have restaurants and a decent night life. Even Ottawa has nicer museums; and I doubt Habs players attend la chapelle scènes contemporaines!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I know it won't happen, but I truly hope that Bergevin goes all in on Gusev if we miss out on other players.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
For sure. I’m not saying otherwise. I’m saying that Montréal isn’t the hotspot some people may think or are saying it is. It’s simply not.
For players with school-age children, it's a problem. And it's so easily fixable. Between all professional sports team, we're talking maybe 10-15 kids at any time? Allowing them access to English schools will not result in any real problem for society.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The biggest factor will always be a team's ability to compete and how they pay you. No one likes going to work stressed out or underpaid.

Stuff like Tavares is odd to bring up. He didn't reject habs because of taxes, media or politics. He rejected the habs because we finished 4th last in the league.

It had zero to do with Montreal being unable to compete as a city and everything to do with montreal being unable to compete as a team.

If I were a young UFA I'd rather live in montreal or toronto than NYC personally. NYC is a great city obviously but a lot of it is a dump and unkept. Toronto and Montreal are far cleaner. I side with Montreal because of bias but if I were ontario based I'd go to Toronto. Other than that the california teams or florida.

Let's test this idea of yours. Take the Habs and the St Louis Blues. In 52 years St Louis has never won a cup, it's a meh city and has been a middling team for ages. Yet many of the players who retire while playing for St Louis stay and live in the city. Aside from the few Montrealers who played for the Habs how many former Habs players live in Montreal? I can think of Petrov and Nilan and Chris was only after he botched up his life in Boston. Also, how many former Montrealers (francophones and anglophones) return to Montreal once their careers are over. Very very few. Compared to Detroit, Winnipeg, Columbus and Edmonton, this city might look good but most of the other NHL cities are either as appealing as Montreal or put Montreal to shame. So when you place the taxes, the weather, the language issues and yes the politics on the scales, it starts to detract from Montreal's image. You talk about parts of New York as unkempt and dumpy. You think people who live in NHL players' financial circles have any contact with those parts?

And by the way it's not just a Montreal problem. It's all Canadian cities. Shane Doan retires. Does he move to T.O.? No he stays in Arizona. Take a look at many of the American junior players over the past few years. Many of them are sons of Canadian hockey players. These guys didn't return to Canada. They stayed in those "horrible American cities". Even Canadian black hockey players either stay or go back to the states (Anson Carter, Kevin Weekes).

So it's not just a Montreal problem. The thing is Montreal is just more extreme.

Reactions: Vachon23

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For players with school-age children, it's a problem. And it's so easily fixable. Between all professional sports team, we're talking maybe 10-15 kids at any time? Allowing them access to English schools will not result in any real problem for society.
Whats the issue? Anglo children cant be schooled in english? Thats weird because I know plenty of English school?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Take a look at many of the American junior players over the past few years. Many of them are sons of Canadian hockey players. These guys didn't return to Canada. They stayed in those "horrible American cities". ...

To be fair, sons of Canadian hockey players born in the US, don't have the same affinity to Canada as their fathers may have. To those born and raised in the US, home is home. Why would they be longing to live in what is a foreign country for them?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
To be fair, sons of Canadian hockey players born in the US, don't have the same affinity to Canada as their fathers may have. To those born and raised in the US, home is home. Why would they be longing to live in what is a foreign country for them?
I'm not talking about the sons. I'm talking about the fathers. Once the fathers retire they don't long to come back to a Canadian city. They stay in the states. Now if you look at American or even European players once they retire most of them hightail it out of this country. I don't know why.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not talking about the sons. I'm talking about the fathers. Once the fathers retire they don't long to come back to a Canadian city. They stay in the states. Now if you look at American or even European players once they retire most of them hightail it out of this country. I don't know why.

OK, that makes more sense. Now I see why I interpreted it differently than you intended, there was an ambiguous "they" in there.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Whats the issue? Anglo children cant be schooled in english? Thats weird because I know plenty of English school?
English schools are for children who have at least one parent that went to English school in Quebec. An American couple has no option. It's French public school. You need to get a certificate proving you went to English. That's public. You can always sent your child to whatever private school you want.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
English schools are for children who have at least one parent that went to English school in Quebec. An American couple has no option. It's French public school. You need to get a certificate proving you went to English. That's public. You can always sent your child to whatever private school you want.
Oh, so its not an actual issue for millionaires?

I had no idea about that.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

@MTL-rules

Change the names all you want, those decisions were made by someone who was there gor the wrong reasons to begin with.

And since you asked...why new guys are always hero before doing anything?

I don't have anything against Bouchard or Ducharme but both have to prove themselves before saying it's a good hire. Bouchard didn't develop one talent yet and didn't made the PO....too early to sacrifice him but also too early to say it was a good hire

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I went to an English school in my primary and my two parents are French

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I went to an English school in my primary and my two parents are French

I wanted to put my kids in French school but I was out voted by my ex-wife and we sent them to French immersion which is another name for an English school. I needed to get them that certificate proving that I went to English school.

For allophones and anglophones that was the law. Maybe you slipped through a crack in the system

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
One thing is for sure....if you have the money and your children are going to english school.....the quality and variety of english schools in Montreal are not even close to those in the states
Im not super informed, but Id be surprised if it were true, seeing as some of the best schools are english ones. (McGill, ConU, FACE, Regina...)

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Oh come on the Oilers went out of their way to make sure he didnt sign with the Habs lol only fair to return the favour
Edit: could you imagine the habs had lucic alzner and wiese taking up 14 million of our cap for next season man that would look bad lol

The Habs have so many left wings that they don't need an over-the-hill stiff. He was popular in Boston but the Bruins were conscious of their needs.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
For a period of my life I had jobs(by coincidence) that had me speaking english. My school was english. At home I spoke english. My friends spoke english. I actually went by speaking french only at the drive thru window when getting an ice cap from tim hortons. It wasn't intentional, montreal is just bilingual and certain areas are more anglophone and others more francophone. Besides...most wives hang out together so they already have like 5-10 friends who speak their language as soon as they come here. With the husband making millions it's not like they're at work locally where you need to be bilingual either. My guess is if you have the capital and means to do so you're more likely to have a part time 'work from home'/business than go work for relative peanuts with someone else.

If you,re spending cash, you can get by speaking any language you like. Besides, for some, French is actually an attractive thing, not something some try to make it akin to: The plague, or worse!

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Pacioretty was mass-producing them, I believe. It could reach a higher number than 10-15 for all professional sports teams ;)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Im not super informed, but Id be surprised if it were true, seeing as some of the best schools are english ones. (McGill, ConU, FACE, Regina...)

I take his comment with a grain of salt. There are excellent English private schools in Montreal. I went to Loyola High school and the education was top notch, as it is in many other English private schools as well, even those we hated when we faced them on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad