Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The Habs have so many left wings that they don't need an over-the-hill stiff. He was popular in Boston but the Bruins were conscious of their needs.

The Habs could use an upgrade at RW and LW (on top of LD), as far as I am concerned. Obviously, with that goal in mind, Lurch is not a good candidate to add to MON's roster.

I'd target Anders Lee as a UFA and pay him s much as 8M per season to outbid other teams. He brings a size, puck-control and sniper element to the team and would make an excellent complement to a dup of Kotkaniemi - Suzuki as a LW who can play the cycle game down low and pot quite a few goals. Suzuki could help Kotkaniemi become the dual threat forward he should become by setting up his quality shot as much as teeing off on Kotkaniemi's feather passes. Lee could convert on plays from either other forward on his line.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I take his comment with a grain of salt. There are excellent English private schools in Montreal. I went to Loyola High school and the education was top notch, as it is in many other English private schools as well, even those we hated when we faced them on the field.

Im not super informed, but Id be surprised if it were true, seeing as some of the best schools are english ones. (McGill, ConU, FACE, Regina...)

There's no schools with the reputation of Phillips Academy or Harvard-Westlake (for English high school) in Montreal or around...you know school for rich kids with Tuition of 40-45K a year. That's very high standard.

And then, you have all the college with giant sports programs in about every sports NCAA which we don't have here.
And not to mention all the Harvard, Yale or Brown for the reputation.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Whats the issue? Anglo children cant be schooled in english? Thats weird because I know plenty of English school?
Only if one of the parents went to English school IN CANADA or had the right to English school in Quebec but chose not to, and got a certificate of eligibility instead.

Reactions: jaffy27

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I take his comment with a grain of salt. There are excellent English private schools in Montreal. I went to Loyola High school and the education was top notch, as it is in many other English private schools as well, even those we hated when we faced them on the field.
Yup, I played against plenty of private school and I can't believe they were anything close to bad with the amount of money they invested in their sports team. Regina had these beautiful 500 a piece Riddel helmet that just got out, something the NFL didn't even bother with.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Im not super informed, but Id be surprised if it were true, seeing as some of the best schools are english ones. (McGill, ConU, FACE, Regina...)
My folks were working class so I don't know about Regina and FACE but MC Gill and ConU are universities. If you check their international rankings, McGill is second in Canada but 40-50 if I remember correctly and Con U is somewhere in the 400s.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My folks were working class so I don't know about Regina and FACE but MC Gill and ConU are universities. If you check their international rankings, McGill is second in Canada but 40-50 if I remember correctly and Con U is somewhere in the 400s.
Internationally, McGill ranked 24th in the world and 1st in Canada in the 2015 QSWorld University Rankings. This is the 12th year in a row that QS has ranked McGill in the top 25 of the world's universities. It was ranked 38th in the world by the 2015-2016 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.

Also, ranking universities is asinine because not all their strength lie in the same spot.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes, but thats for public schools, and these guys don't send their kids to public schools.
Guy Carbonneau specifically mentioned that this was a problem for him when he came back to the Habs to coach under Therrien.

Not everyone should have to send their kids to the most expensive private schools (the subsidized ones also must follow eligibility rules) in order to have peace in their lives. Carbo's kids were teenagers who had only learned and knew English and the policy is cruel when they can see that English schools exist (are tolerated to be more exact) but they can't go there because it is feared that 10 more kids in English schools might crash Quebec.

Yes, I'm being a bit dramatic, but in all seriousness, this can be an issue for free agents with school-age kids, and plays into the mix with all other variables that players and their families have to weigh.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Guy Carbonneau specifically mentioned that this was a problem for him when he came back to the Habs to coach under Therrien.

Not everyone should have to send their kids to the most expensive private schools (the subsidized ones also must follow eligibility rules) in order to have peace in their lives. Carbo's kids were teenagers who had only learned and knew English and the policy is cruel when they can see that English schools exist (are tolerated to be more exact) but they can't go there because it is feared that 10 more kids in English schools might crash Quebec.

Yes, I'm being a bit dramatic, but in all seriousness, this can be an issue for free agents with school-age kids, and plays into the mix with all other variables that players and their families have to weigh.
How was it an issue ? Was he not allowed to send them to private schools ? Why wouldn't he want to send them there ? Is he that much of an ass that he'd rather his kids go to public schools ? Does he know how kids fare in there ? I do, it's not pretty.

Reactions: overlords

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
How was it an issue ? Was he not allowed to send them to private schools ? Why wouldn't he want to send them there ? Is he that much of an ass that he'd rather his kids go to public schools ? Does he know how kids fare in there ? I do, it's not pretty.
People who pay a ton in Quebec taxes should be at least able to send their kids to a public school that is open for business.

I understand that you like private, but public should be available to taxpayers.

I'm not trying to make a political point, but a practical one that free agents and guys with NTCs might think about.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
People who pay a ton in Quebec taxes should be at least able to send their kids to a public school that is open for business.

I understand that you like private, but public should be available to taxpayers.

I'm not trying to make a political point, but a practical one that free agents and guys with NTCs might think about.
Thats ridiculous because a private school here costs a grand and in the US its ten... so yeah. I also think you think a bit too highly of the bros playing hockey and getting paid. The majority of them probably spend it like they earn it.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
If we're not rebuilding, then MB needs to have a massive presence on July 1st and the Draft.

Althoimugh we are a very young team, the clock is ticking because of Price and Weber.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Thats ridiculous because a private school here costs a grand and in the US its ten... so yeah. I also think you think a bit too highly of the bros playing hockey and getting paid. The majority of them probably spend it like they earn it.

The private schools that are allowed to to take kids without eligibility certificates cost on average about $15,000 per year. That's a significant number for a hockey player, and some have two kids or more in school.

Example:

Secondary School Admissions Process | Kuper Academy

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The private schools that are allowed to to take kids without eligibility certificates cost on average about $15,000 per year. That's a significant number for a hockey player, and some have two kids or more in school.

Example:

Secondary School Admissions Process | Kuper Academy

Aren't you guys talking big ticket UFAs?

At 5M, it's 1% of their salary to send 4 kids to that school.... Significant?

At 100k/year salary, that'd be = 1000$....

Hard to believe that would be a deterrent

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Aren't you guys talking big ticket UFAs?

At 5M, it's 1% of their salary to send 4 kids to that school.... Significant?

At 100k/year salary, that'd be = 1000$....

Hard to believe that would be a deterrent

Of course it's a deterrent. If a player were told that as an "outsider", he would have to pay triple for a house what locals pay, it might still bother him even if he could afford it. They're human beings. Like I said, it even bothered Carbo enough to make it public.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Of course it's a deterrent. If a player were told that as an "outsider", he would have to pay triple for a house what locals pay, it might still bother him even if he could afford it. They're human beings. Like I said, it even bothered Carbo enough to make it public.

Language issues in general, sure.

Cost of private school? Totally disagree.

Reactions: Vachon23

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Let's test this idea of yours. Take the Habs and the St Louis Blues. In 52 years St Louis has never won a cup, it's a meh city and has been a middling team for ages. Yet many of the players who retire while playing for St Louis stay and live in the city. Aside from the few Montrealers who played for the Habs how many former Habs players live in Montreal? I can think of Petrov and Nilan and Chris was only after he botched up his life in Boston. Also, how many former Montrealers (francophones and anglophones) return to Montreal once their careers are over. Very very few. Compared to Detroit, Winnipeg, Columbus and Edmonton, this city might look good but most of the other NHL cities are either as appealing as Montreal or put Montreal to shame. So when you place the taxes, the weather, the language issues and yes the politics on the scales, it starts to detract from Montreal's image. You talk about parts of New York as unkempt and dumpy. You think people who live in NHL players' financial circles have any contact with those parts?

And by the way it's not just a Montreal problem. It's all Canadian cities. Shane Doan retires. Does he move to T.O.? No he stays in Arizona. Take a look at many of the American junior players over the past few years. Many of them are sons of Canadian hockey players. These guys didn't return to Canada. They stayed in those "horrible American cities". Even Canadian black hockey players either stay or go back to the states (Anson Carter, Kevin Weekes).

So it's not just a Montreal problem. The thing is Montreal is just more extreme.

Where someone retires does not mean they'd play there. I believe Robinson lives in Florida, played zero games in that state though...

Regarding Doan, why would he go to toronto? He's from alberta. He moved to PHX when he was 19 years old. He spent more time in phoenix than alberta.

Either way, lots of people move when they retire. It doesn't really explain much. So NYC must be unattractive since I bet a lot of former rangers don't stay?

Retirement location and playing location isn't necessarily the same. No one will retire to edmonton or winnipeg but some might consider playing there despite it being the worst of the canadian teams.

I am not knocking florida and sunny states either. They'd be my second choice. I'm just differentiating between where you play and where you live in retirement.

Some players like Lemieux, Doan, Yzerman and others who spent 20+ years with same franchise stayed but at that point their old home wasn't really home anymore.

Reactions: Miller Time

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Where someone retires does not mean they'd play there. I believe Robinson lives in Florida, played zero games in that state though...

Regarding Doan, why would he go to toronto? He's from alberta. He moved to PHX when he was 19 years old. He spent more time in phoenix than alberta.

Either way, lots of people move when they retire. It doesn't really explain much. So NYC must be unattractive since I bet a lot of former rangers don't stay?

Retirement location and playing location isn't necessarily the same. No one will retire to edmonton or winnipeg but some might consider playing there despite it being the worst of the canadian teams.

I am not knocking florida and sunny states either. They'd be my second choice. I'm just differentiating between where you play and where you live in retirement.

Some players like Lemieux, Doan, Yzerman and others who spent 20+ years with same franchise stayed but at that point their old home wasn't really home anymore.
You're shifting the goalposts. You originally said you prefer living in Montreal and even T.O. before living in New York or other American cities. And somehow that was suppose to be proof that hockey players would share your opinion. My point was swarms of Canadian and international hockey players don't share your preference. A common refrain from hockey players nowadays is they don't want to play in Canada and it goes double for Montreal - exacerbated by the issues already mentioned in previous posts.. The Domis & Tavares of this world are few and far between.

Reactions: Vachon23

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You're shifting the goalposts. You originally said you prefer living in Montreal and even T.O. before living in New York or other American cities. And somehow that was suppose to be proof that hockey players would share your opinion. My point was swarms of Canadian and international hockey players don't share your preference. A common refrain from hockey players nowadays is they don't want to play in Canada and it goes double for Montreal - exacerbated by the issues already mentioned in previous posts.. The Domis & Tavares of this world are few and far between.

Actually you shifted the goalposts. I said if I were a young UFA. You're pointing to 40 somethings who retire...

If I were a young UFA I'd rather live in montreal or toronto than NYC personally.

You even marked it in red in your post...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yes, but thats for public schools, and these guys don't send their kids to public schools.
Yes they do.....Gionta and Cole’s kids went to a public school in Brossard.....I know cause my kid went to the same school.

My daughter and Cole’s kid were actually really good friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->