Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XII (Deadline Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I hope he goes all in and misses out so he can get the **** out.

We've done nothing with his picks and team building. We got lucky Domi worked out. We got lucky that Vegas probably insisted we take Tatar. But that's about it. Drouin is meh. Our defense is gross. Our goalie contract is ****ing awful.

While I don't think we should go "all in" in the sense of spending 2nd round picks to get bottom-6 rentals, and while I don't think that MB should be judged on whether we make the playoffs this year or not (we probably won't), I do agree with #Natey's sentiment. If by next year trade deadline, the team is not at a contender level, replace the GM by the end of the year. He will be finishing year eight of his tenure, and at some point the club has to insist on results.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
If Bergie makes a trade, I hope it is for a top 2 LD or a sniper with contract and still a RFA. There are teams going through yard sales who might respond to having there arm twisted for some future consideration.

The time to ride Price and Weber are in the next few years, not in 7.

No rentals, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaseballCoach

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hmm....."Dead weight".

Benn? Ok someone might want him, but he's not that dead, actually.

Hudon? Ok, if we get another suspect back.
Niemi? Sure.
Alzner? I wish.

And yet I sense that it isn't Niemi, Alzner and Hudon you are anxious to move.

So in reality there is probably not consensus on what constitutes "deadweight". In the last few weeks the chirping from some quarters has quieted down, but for most of the year, a certain contingent thought Tatar was deadweight and too old and should be moved for any pick Marc could get, even a second rounder (Look! Subban was drafted in the 2nd round!").

The usual trade targets, Byron, Lehkonen, Shaw (0.7 ppg!!) are not deadweight. I'm not saying they can't be moved in a hockey deal to improve the team, but when you say "upgrade assets", I get the feeling you want some more 2nd and 3rd rounders for them.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong. Can you give us an example of a realistic trade that would upgrade the team and that you feel Bergevin is holding back from?

Benn, Kulak, Shaw, Peca, Hudon, Niemi are the no-brainers... Should be traded for highest return of picks/prospects possible (or packaged in a bigger deal targetting a young nhler that fills a need moving forward).

Tatar, Drouin, Lekhonen, Armia, Petry, Byron et. would fall under the "if the right offer comes"

It's not about a specific trade, it's about recognizing that the roster & organizational depth is not contender -worthy and, with the age of arguably the two top assets (price & weber... from a now/short-term performance pov), there is a need to be focused on icing a contender in the next 2-4 yrs.

We won't get there by playing a hedging game, or worse, by following MB's "make it up as I go" style.

Selling to add assets that can be leveraged to target and land the talent upgrades we need should be the focus, not scrapping by to squeak into the PO's & hope we steal a series of two against a superior squad.

Reactions: cphabs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Benn, Kulak, Shaw, Peca, Hudon, Niemi are the no-brainers... Should be traded for highest return of picks/prospects possible (or packaged in a bigger deal targetting a young nhler that fills a need moving forward).

Tatar, Drouin, Lekhonen, Armia, Petry, Byron et. would fall under the "if the right offer comes"

It's not about a specific trade, it's about recognizing that the roster & organizational depth is not contender -worthy and, with the age of arguably the two top assets (price & weber... from a now/short-term performance pov), there is a need to be focused on icing a contender in the next 2-4 yrs.

We won't get there by playing a hedging game, or worse, by following MB's "make it up as I go" style.

Selling to add assets that can be leveraged to target and land the talent upgrades we need should be the focus, not scrapping by to squeak into the PO's & hope we steal a series of two against a superior squad.
Thanks for providing some detail, it makes it easier to discuss.

I agree with you that since we do have Price and Weber and a young forward group, the goal is to win in the next 2-4 years, and starting over completely won't work.

I also agree wholeheartedly that Bergevin makes it up as he goes.

If we are trying to win in 2-4 years,
  • Selling Shaw who is 27 years old and producing at second line level only makes sense if we get back assets that are NHL ready and will perform at positions of need; in other words he is in your next category
  • Selling Benn is a necessary evil if we don't think we can re-sign him for a cap hit that reflects his play.
  • Trading Kulak might make sense if we can upgrade on LD, but he is still young, can skate and may be a decent 7th, especially if Benn is gone
  • Peca is totally expendable
  • Hudon should be traded for another suspect - the upside of a 5th or later pick is too low
  • Niemi probably has no trade value unless a team like Chicago gives up the ghost and is willing to trade Ward for him just to save money
  • Trading Alzner is on my wish list
  • The list of guys "to be traded if the right offer comes" should include everyone on any team at any time, so please explain why THOSE particular guys are on your list and not others such as, well, anyone else

Reactions: Sterling Archer

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes because, then flipping Benn for a 5th-6th is a completely unacceptable concept.
Benn's offensive numbers this year are at a second-pair level whle being decent enough defensively to play 3rd pairing for any team. He would fetch way more than a 5th rounder, IMO. Teams looking for a rental will stumble on his name pretty quick as they do down the list of available D.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'm very content to sitting on the sidelines while teams give up draft picks and prospects. We have a very nice prospect pool and a bunch of picks in 2019. Lets continue racking them up. We know we have a pretty good team, but obviously not good enough to compete with the best yet...and one player won't change that.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Sure...many circumstances can influence the outcome, including the PO format.

Habs also made the ECF in 14 and they weren't considered contenders.
But guess what, except for Vegas, you were right to not consider them contenders, which was proven over the next seasons.
Vegas was an exception. If Seattle gets the same benefits as an expansion team, they could go straight into a legit position too.

Ya sure, I never denied underdogs can pull out victories, but they're called underdogs because realistically, they shouldn't win. Why? Because they're not on the same level.

I agree with everything you are saying.

The thing is, and this is where my thoughts are not in line with many of you.....there's only two way to get to the same level as other contender. Either go nuts a little like Columbus (Maybe not that crazy) or take the long road.

Now i agree that taking the long road has a higher rate of success, but that ship as sailed for the Habs. Long road is not about accumulating picks and prospect, it's about getting very high pick and blue-chip prospect and finishing in the bottom. That's not what the Habs are doing and those top picks are not coming. Not with Price playing vezina like and not with the good prospect coming starting next year.

You don't build a contender from bottom rounds picks. For me it's the same philosophy that Bergevin had for years and all those bottom 1st round pick he kept or the tons of 2nd round picks he had to start in MTL never brought anything good, not even one good NHLer at this point. Lehkonen who's on the 4th line now is all we got from like 4 years of drafting. I don't wanna go that path again.

They don't want to blow it up to make sure we finish in the bottom.
They don't want to finish in the bottom.
It's fine by me, but man.....do something and don't follow the same path we took in 2012-2013-2014 and that's what i'm seeing.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Benn's offensive numbers this year are at a second-pair level whle being decent enough defensively to play 3rd pairing for any team. He would fetch way more than a 5th rounder, IMO. Teams looking for a rental will stumble on his name pretty quick as they do down the list of available D.

UFA Nick Jensen brought back a 2nd and a failing prospect (kinda) to the Wings, and he does have the same production level while being good in his zone.

Can't see either why Benn couldn't bring back something similar.

Reactions: Runner77

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
OILERS
NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks reports the Edmonton Oilers weren’t likely to move winger Jesse Puljujarvi, who could be sidelined for the season with a lower-body injury. He adds the Oilers were telling interested parties they’d also have to take Milan Lucic and his $6-million annual average value through 2022-23 as well.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Lucic would also have to waive his no-movement clause, which he probably might do considering how poorly things are going in Edmonton. But nobody’s taking that contract off their hands so no point worrying over whether Lucic would agree to be dealt.

Let the Alzner + for Lucic and Poolparty proposals begin!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm very content to sitting on the sidelines while teams give up draft picks and prospects. We have a very nice prospect pool and a bunch of picks in 2019. Lets continue racking them up. We know we have a pretty good team, but obviously not good enough to compete with the best yet...and one player won't change that.

This is how I see it, too. No need to do anything significant. The team looks like it's headed in the right direction. No need to mess with it.

At this moment, they're heading into the 2019 draft with 10 picks, 4 of them in the first 3 rounds. Having another draft like the 2017 and 2018 ones will help their cause down the road, whether those prospects grow to help the team themselves or be used in trades to acquire key pieces to help push the team over the hump.

I'm not saying don't do anything. But maybe some pieces can be moved for more picks (maybe some for 2020 draft). And another low cost acquisition (a la Reilly from last year).

Habfan10

May 16, 2015
To me I am holding on to Benn unless someone wants to overpay. I will take my chances and offer him a one year deal in the off-season. He has deserved a contract extension at least but for only one year.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
To me I am holding on to Benn unless someone wants to overpay. I will take my chances and offer him a one year deal in the off-season. He has deserved a contract extension at least but for only one year.

This is nonsense. Since last year and up to about 3 months ago 95% of this board wanted him waived and lose him for nothing just so he was off the team. And now he is somehow so valuable that we need to re-sign him? Please....

Trade him already. As others have pointed out, if Lovejoy can somehow net you a third, then Benn can do the same given that so many teams are evidently desperate enough to overpay for mediocrity.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

If he can bring back a 2nd just trade him and play Folin,the difference between the 2 is negligible, you can even bring Jordie back this summer if you want.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
This is nonsense. Since last year and up to about 3 months ago 95% of this board wanted him waived and lose him for nothing just so he was off the team. And now he is somehow so valuable that we need to re-sign him? Please....

Trade him already. As others have pointed out, if Lovejoy can somehow net you a third, then Benn can do the same given that so many teams are evidently desperate enough to overpay for mediocrity.
Yes because that 3rd is really going to help solve our backend

Benn is a serviceable dman who, I expect will step up in the playoffs. His size in our corners and front of net will help us. Benn is worth far more to the team than a 3rd pick

Reactions: Deebs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes because that 3rd is really going to help solve our backend

Benn is a serviceable dman who, I expect will step up in the playoffs. His size in our corners and front of net will help us. Benn is worth far more to the team than a 3rd pick
If we can sign him for 2 years at under $1.5M per year, then he is worth more than a 3rd rounder. However, I would ask him to re-sign him now. We can't take the chance he walks for nothing because he wants $2.5-$3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad