Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XII (Deadline Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Thanks for providing some detail, it makes it easier to discuss.

I agree with you that since we do have Price and Weber and a young forward group, the goal is to win in the next 2-4 years, and starting over completely won't work.

I also agree wholeheartedly that Bergevin makes it up as he goes.

If we are trying to win in 2-4 years,
  • Selling Shaw who is 27 years old and producing at second line level only makes sense if we get back assets that are NHL ready and will perform at positions of need; in other words he is in your next category
I'd move him for anything close to the 2x2nd it cost to get him.
  • Selling Benn is a necessary evil if we don't think we can re-sign him for a cap hit that reflects his play.
Evil? He's a dime-a-dozen depth Dman. Easily replaceable & only valuable as a deadline trade chip. I wouldn't re-sign him for a penny more than his current deal.
  • Trading Kulak might make sense if we can upgrade on LD, but he is still young, can skate and may be a decent 7th, especially if Benn is gone
See above
  • Peca is totally expendable
Like Benn & Kulak.
  • Hudon should be traded for another suspect - the upside of a 5th or later pick is too low
Agree
  • Niemi probably has no trade value unless a team like Chicago gives up the ghost and is willing to trade Ward for him just to save money
Agree
  • Trading Alzner is on my wish list
Agree
  • The list of guys "to be traded if the right offer comes" should include everyone on any team at any time, so please explain why THOSE particular guys are on your list and not others such as, well, anyone else
If you plan to contend in 2-4 years, this presumes you have some key core pieces in place. you can't expect to overhaul the entire roster, nor fundamentally change the leadership.
Price, Weber, Domi, Gallagher, JKO I'd offer as the nucleus that we're building around. We've got some solid complimentary depth (whichever of Danault, Byron, Lek, Petry, Tatar, Armia, Drouin are kept) & youth/prospect depth (Suzuki, Poehling, mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Ylonen, ikonen, Romanov et).
We need at least to elite/impact additions, 1 up front & 1 on D.
Cap space, tradeable vets & picks/prospects are the assets at our disposal to get them.... Hence the importance of using this deadline & this summer to load up on tradeable assets to make a run at landing that talent.
Replied in bold in your post

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What do people think about bringing Hoffman in for a 2nd, and then trading him next deadline to get that 2nd back?

The issue is of course bringing in some one who's defending his wife, who appears to have committed beyond repulsive actions.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
And you think that's legitimate? For real ?

Are you kidding me?
Hell yeah for real.

The guy broke Tavares to Toronto this summer way before anybody.
He Broke Briere to MTL
He was first on Zuccarello last night before anyone.
He broke the Eberle trade too.

I might not trust on everything he says, but one thing for sure, when it comes to NYI, NYR, NJ, Philly and Pittsburgh....well everything in that area...he's ahead of the McKenzie, Dreger and all those name we trust.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What do people think about bringing Hoffman in for a 2nd, and then trading him next deadline to get that 2nd back?

The issue is of course bringing in some one who's defending his wife, who appears to have committed beyond repulsive actions.

Why would the Panthers only take a 2nd for him? He’s better than Dzingel and has term.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Lehkonen
Benn
3rd

For

Burakovsky
2nd round pick

2nd round pick(CBJ)
Alzner
Peca

For

Lucic
Puljujarvi
1st round pick

Hudon
Juulsen
2nd round pick(MTL)

For

Toffoli
Forbort
3rd round pick

Drouin Danault Gallagher
Tatar Domi Toffoli
Byron Kotkaniemi Armia
Burakovsky Thompson Shaw
Lucic Puljujarvi

Mete Weber
Forbort Petry
Reilly Folin
Kulak

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Is this an Eklund kind of guy?? Does he have a site?

No he's not a Eklund kind of guy...well a little as they all are.
He's not only on hockey but other sports too (And broke many news in those sports too....but again here, it seems to always involve players or teams in his area which is NY)

He's got 2-3 websites but it's about betting on sports, inside tracks and all that stuff.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If Reilly, Deslauriers, Hudon, Niemi, Peca, or Thompson get us a pick we take it and run.

I'm sure dumbass will just acquire some crappy depth and none of the garbage reporters will ask why he didnt sell, nor ask why he didnt sell after missing the playoffs, or getting destroyed in the 1st round.

No way I trade Reilly for any pick whatsoever. Peca? Sure. Niemi, Alzner? Of course. But Reilly is an NHL defenceman. He has superior speed. His decision-making is likely to get better. Even right now, he is not on the ice for more goals against than scored. Reilly is definitely worth more now than when we got him. And he's still cost controlled.

Hudon is best traded for another suspect. A very late pick is unlikely to yield much.

Thompson could be moved if we get a 3rd or better, but I doubt that happens as LA probably already tested the market on him. And it means bringing Chaput back, because Peca can't play center for us.

Deslauriers is probably worth more to us as an extra forward than to a team trying to make a playoff run, unless that team is as undersized as we are, which I'm not sure exists.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Lehkonen
Benn
3rd

For

Burakovsky
2nd round pick

Won't happen; Bergevin already shut down Lehkonen for Bura. Would rather just move our 2nd + 3rd for Burakovsky 1:1 and open up a roster spot for Washington to chase something else.

2nd round pick(CBJ)
Alzner
Peca

For

Lucic
Puljujarvi
1st round pick

No chance the Oilers trade their 1st unconditionally. Seeing how that takes two roster players, and doesn't really help them; doesn't really work.

Hudon
Juulsen
2nd round pick(MTL)

For

Toffoli
Forbort
3rd round pick

Bit better, but nobody will take Juulsen as the main piece of a deal until he comes back to play from his injury.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
No way I trade Reilly for any pick whatsoever. Peca? Sure. Niemi, Alzner? Of course. But Reilly is an NHL defenceman. He has superior speed. His decision-making is likely to get better. Even right now, he is not on the ice for more goals against than scored. Reilly is definitely worth more now than when we got him. And he's still cost controlled.

Hudon is best traded for another suspect. A very late pick is unlikely to yield much.

Thompson could be moved if we get a 3rd or better, but I doubt that happens as LA probably already tested the market on him. And it means bringing Chaput back, because Peca can't play center for us.

Deslauriers is probably worth more to us as an extra forward than to a team trying to make a playoff run, unless that team is as undersized as we are, which I'm not sure exists.
Funny enough, I think Toronto would benefit from a guy like DLo. There is so much potential for them to get bullied in the playoffs. Heck, we did it to them last night.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Kreider fits our style of hockey and would be a great pick-up but Bergevin would have to sit down and have a talk with Price and make sure that he is alright with it given their history. The deal also makes sense because he has some term; Bergevin won't make moves for rentals he said.

On the topic of rentals; I wouldn't mind seeing Simmonds come over to Montreal; in terms of playstyle he is another 'perfect fit' but unless he can be had for a 2nd round pick (give or take) it won't/shouldn't happen.

Puljujarvi and Burakovsky are two pieces I am incredibly interested in making moves for; the idea of giving young players a fresh start, especially when they would get to play on Kotkaniemi's wing, is appealing. The Habs aren't going to be contending for a cup this year, or likely next, so getting young players who can have the time to develop is important.

Zucker is another guy I wouldn't mind seeing the Habs make a run for if the price is right. He plays the high speed high impact game that the Habs obviously are working towards and with his deal not expiring until 23/24 he could be a more skilled Shaw moving forward if we can shed some salary in the transaction.

I honestly don't see Bergevin making any moves, if at all, until the last 30 minutes of the deadline --- swooping in to pick up the scraps (a la Vanek)

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Are you kidding me?
Hell yeah for real.

The guy broke Tavares to Toronto this summer way before anybody.
He Broke Briere to MTL
He was first on Zuccarello last night before anyone.
He broke the Eberle trade too.

I might not trust on everything he says, but one thing for sure, when it comes to NYI, NYR, NJ, Philly and Pittsburgh....well everything in that area...he's ahead of the McKenzie, Dreger and all those name we trust.

Some people can't grasp that certain insiders may exaggerate their knowledge but they have some. Eklund is philly based I believe and was on the money for Richards and Carter trades. Some guys have a decent base in certain regions.

I don't know or follow IB enough to know but it's not unreasonable to believe he has some good connections.

Reactions: Milhouse40

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If we are trying to win in 2-4 years,
  • Selling Shaw who is 27 years old and producing at second line level only makes sense if we get back assets that are NHL ready and will perform at positions of need; in other words he is in your next category
I'd move him for anything close to the 2x2nd it cost to get him.
  • Selling Benn is a necessary evil if we don't think we can re-sign him for a cap hit that reflects his play.
Evil? He's a dime-a-dozen depth Dman. Easily replaceable & only valuable as a deadline trade chip. I wouldn't re-sign him for a penny more than his current deal.
  • Trading Kulak might make sense if we can upgrade on LD, but he is still young, can skate and may be a decent 7th, especially if Benn is gone
See above
  • Peca is totally expendable
Like Benn & Kulak.
  • Hudon should be traded for another suspect - the upside of a 5th or later pick is too low
Agree
  • Niemi probably has no trade value unless a team like Chicago gives up the ghost and is willing to trade Ward for him just to save money
Agree
  • Trading Alzner is on my wish list
Agree
  • The list of guys "to be traded if the right offer comes" should include everyone on any team at any time, so please explain why THOSE particular guys are on your list and not others such as, well, anyone else
If you plan to contend in 2-4 years, this presumes you have some key core pieces in place. you can't expect to overhaul the entire roster, nor fundamentally change the leadership.
Price, Weber, Domi, Gallagher, JKO I'd offer as the nucleus that we're building around. We've got some solid complimentary depth (whichever of Danault, Byron, Lek, Petry, Tatar, Armia, Drouin are kept) & youth/prospect depth (Suzuki, Poehling, mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Ylonen, ikonen, Romanov et).
We need at least to elite/impact additions, 1 up front & 1 on D.
Cap space, tradeable vets & picks/prospects are the assets at our disposal to get them.... Hence the importance of using this deadline & this summer to load up on tradeable assets to make a run at landing that talent.

If we're planning to contend in 2-4 years, then the two 2nds we would get for Shaw will miss the window. Shaw moves to the second category, of players who are useful in the present, but available to be traded for even MORE useful players. In Shaw's case, we are talking about a middle-six winger who can play C in a pinch and is only 27 years old. I'm ok with trading him but NOT for only picks, again due to the assumption we are trying to compete soon.

Benn's numbers this year are that of a 4/5 D. Check it out! If we move him, we will need to replace him, so it all depends on what his contract request is. If he willing to sign for 1 or 2 years at $1.5M or less, I'd keep him. If he won't sign an extension now, I'd look to move him and think he will fetch a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Kulak is young and can skate. He is cost controlled, his QO is not high. No reason to trade him for a pick as he could be a useful depth D in two more years with more experience adding to his physical tools.

As for having a core in place, of course every contender has core pieces, but any one of them could still be traded for a better piece and not ruin the contention plan. Not picks or unproven prospects, but actual good players.

Last edited:
Reactions: tazsub3 and cphabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad